PDA

View Full Version : Wishes Fireworks & Dessert Party ??

tennantsrwe
08-04-2011, 12:44 PM
Has anyone done the dessert party and if so, what are your thoughts. We are HUGE sweets lovers and from the pictures we've seen everything looks delicious. We're thinking on doing this our last night as a special suprise for our two DD. Also, any idea how far in advance they release dates? We are looking for mid-December.

Strmchsr
08-04-2011, 01:16 PM
I've done it a couple of times and the desserts were very good. The big buffets let you try lots of different sweets. The first time we did it, though, we were on the DDP and I don't feel we got enough from the party to make it worth while because we were all so stuffed from the DDP meals. The last time we did it we didn't have the DDP, so we ate lighter in the day and really enjoyed the dessert party.

One thing I have heard recently is that since we last did this in February they have discontinued the tables and it has become standing room only. If this is the case, I definitely wouldn't do it. One of the nice things about the party was being able to have a table to sit down and relax after a long day at the parks, enjoy the desserts and being together, then stand at the rail when the actual fireworks started. If I had to stand the entire hour, no way. That wouldn't be relaxing at all. Maybe someone who has been more recently can confirm this.

As for the dates - it seems really random as to when they release them. There has not been a set pattern like 180 days or 90 days. You basically have to keep checking. Not sure why that is.

tennantsrwe
08-04-2011, 01:21 PM
We do have DDP but the day I'm hoping to book the dessert party we are doing table service at lunch. Hopefully that will allow us to fully enjoy all the yummy sweets!! I was under the impression the tables were assigned and still in use. I will def. find that out before I make the reservation (and pay). We wouldn't be too interested in standing the entire time either. Thanks for the info!!

iceicebritney
08-04-2011, 01:31 PM
If you do an Internet search for wishes desert party you will find a number of great reviews with photos. I am also interested in this, but NO where does it say if they have ice cream. I'm not a pastry person, I just want some chocolate ice cream!

I also read that it is now standing room only. Is this the case for those who have gone recently?

tennantsrwe
08-04-2011, 01:39 PM
heehee iceicebritney...love your name!! from what i've seen/read/heard they do not offer ice cream. they did seem to offer more than just pastry type things, not sure if you like cheese cakes and stuff like that. I'm hoping we get an answer on the standing room only thing. I thought they assigned a table for the actual buffet portion of the night then you could either stay seated or move out to the terrace for the actual fireworks. No way I want to be standing and trying to eat!

Strmchsr
08-04-2011, 01:40 PM
I am also interested in this, but NO where does it say if they have ice cream. I'm not a pastry person, I just want some chocolate ice cream!

No ice cream. They have fruits, cookies, pastries, lemon-aid, milk, tea, and coffee, but no ice cream.

Strmchsr
08-04-2011, 01:42 PM
I thought they assigned a table for the actual buffet portion of the night then you could either stay seated or move out to the terrace for the actual fireworks.

That's the way it was. But, as I stated earlier, it seems starting in May or June they went standing only. But, I've yet to hear from anyone who actually has been since May that can definitely confirm that.

tennantsrwe
08-04-2011, 01:50 PM
I'm curious if they increase capacity for the busier months? According to the Disney website they only allow 51 people in, but I guess if all 51 are standing it would make for a not so magical experience.

iceicebritney
08-04-2011, 02:05 PM
Thanks tennantsrwe! It's a silly name, I know!

I really would prefer it to be a seated buffet. After walking in the parks all day Ill need a break!

And thanks strmchsr for settling the great ice cream mystery. Unfortunetly chocolate ice cream is the extent of my dessert interests. I guess if we gomit will be strictly for the fireworks viewing.

trapper
08-04-2011, 02:39 PM
Hi guys we were just at the fireworks dessert party last Thurs and my teenage kids said it was the best thing we did :thumbsup:! There was reserved seating. You could stand by the railing but no chairs were allowed to be moved which was fine with us as we were off to the left side and our table was next to the railing so no one really wanted to stand where we were anyway.Our view was perfect as Tinkerbell landed right over our heads it was perfect. And yes they did have ice cream only vanilla but they had lots of toppings. They were out of chocolate topping by the time I went back up to get ice cream but they had strawberrys in sauce and sprinkles and other toppings but I was soooooo stuffed from all the other desserts that I didn't care that there wasn't any chocolate sauce or chocolate ice cream. We also were on the dining plan and seriously I gained 5 lbs on this trip way too much food. But oh so gooood.

trapper
08-04-2011, 02:42 PM
AND we would definately do it again!

tennantsrwe
08-04-2011, 02:47 PM
trapper :number1: thanks so much for the info!! :thumbsup: Sounds like this is def a must do for us!! We're hoping to keep it as a suprise so our DD (14 & 6) have no idea we're doing it or that Tink flys right over us. Did you notice any issue with people not being able to see or being blocked by those standing??

trapper
08-04-2011, 03:09 PM
personally we were off to the side not right in the middle where everyone wanted to be so it wasn't an issue for us I would hope people were considerate of the others but I didn't hear of any problems. We had people didn't do the dessert party trying to sneak in under the chain rope to get a better view of the fireworks but the Cast members would kindly tell them it was a reserved party and have them leave. Also you couldn't stand until the show started so that was nice you didn't have people rushing and trying to get the perfect spot. If you ask me everyone had a great view. And they had a photopass photographer taking pictures with the castle in the background very nice.

Strmchsr
08-04-2011, 03:10 PM
Did you notice any issue with people not being able to see or being blocked by those standing??

Pretty much everyone stands during the fireworks, but the railing is long enough there's room for all unless they've increased capacity.

I'm so glad to hear that rumor about standing only wasn't true. I was thinking that would have really ruined it if they had changed.

I wonder if ice cream is only during the hotter months? Or if that is something new? We've never done it during the summer, so maybe that's why no ice cream.

wildernesslady
08-04-2011, 04:07 PM
It was the highlight of our last trip. The desserts were delicious. We also did it as a surprise for our family. What a great last night in the world. Enjoy and definitely wear something with an elastic waist.

DisneyBunch5
08-10-2011, 01:12 PM
We attaend the dessert party in mid-July. I was a bit reluctant to book because of the cost, but was very pleasantly surprised with the variety of desserts, which included vanilla ice cream which was brought out prior to the party so that it softened to the perfect consistency. There were quite a few desserts to choose from (in fact we didn't sample them all) and were replenished often. Fruit was also available.

We sat at the second row of tables back from the rail. People were standing at the rail, but were very considerate and did not stand directly in front of the tables, but rather off the the side a bit. This allowed to to remain seated to watch the fireworks. Desserts were available after the fireworks ended. We did not feel like we were being pushed out.

We ate lighter dinner around 5:30 so that were had room to sample most of the offerings at the 9:00 party. it was a great way to celebrate the final night of our vacation, relaxing with some great desserts.

We'd consider doing it again.

TheVBs
08-10-2011, 02:33 PM
Can't remember if I've already asked this but... I know you arrive an hour prior to the fireworks, but on the night we'll be there, the parade is scheduled at that time. Do you have a good view of the parade from the dessert party?

Strmchsr
08-10-2011, 02:41 PM
Do you have a good view of the parade from the dessert party?

You can see the parade from the dessert party, but not very well.

TheVBs
08-13-2011, 08:09 AM
You can see the parade from the dessert party, but not very well.

Thanks! I've been trying to book one night I know we'll be at MK, but it's also the only night we'll be there to see MSEP, so I think we'll pass on the dessert party this time. We really want to enjoy this parade! We'll just have to look forward to trying the dessert party next trip. :mickey: