PDA

View Full Version : AKL Dining: A Difficult Decision

darthmacho
08-03-2011, 11:01 AM
I definitely want to eat one meal at Animal Kingdom Lodge on our next trip, but the three sit down restaurants are all wonderful, and I'm having the hardest time deciding which one. Thankfully, I have plenty of time, but I thought I'd ask everyone here what they would choose. Assume that there are enough dining plan points to cover whatever your decision might be.

Would you choose, Boma, Sanaa, or Jiko?
Why?

:mickey:

Mickey'sGirl
08-03-2011, 11:04 AM
I personally don't think you can go wrong with any of the choices at AKL.

We have chosen to eat at Sanaa this time, based on the vegetarian sampler that I am really eager to try. Also, it is newish and we have not eaten there before.

MississippiDisneyFreak
08-03-2011, 11:44 AM
Jiko, it just sounds fabulous....we are in the minority in that we thought Boma was just okay

SBETigg
08-03-2011, 11:58 AM
We love all three, but we love Sanaa just a bit more than the others. We loved the food at Boma and Sanaa, only liked it at Jiko (maybe having an off night- it was good, but not on par with other Signatures that we like better). We had good service at all, but great service at Jiko.

The thing that puts Sanaa over the top is the relaxed feel- no getting up and down for a buffet, cool decor, family-friendly (not so much for kids at Jiko, though they are welcome of course). And the view, animals are very entertaining (of course, if you go after dark, might not factor in). So I would choose a late lunch or early dinner at Sanaa.

cer
08-03-2011, 12:14 PM
Is Sanaa a Signature restaurant?

darthmacho
08-03-2011, 12:29 PM

I believe it is not.

The thing that puts Sanaa over the top is the relaxed feel- no getting up and down for a buffet, cool decor, family-friendly (not so much for kids at Jiko, though they are welcome of course). And the view, animals are very entertaining (of course, if you go after dark, might not factor in). So I would choose a late lunch or early dinner at Sanaa.

Excellent points about timing and being family friendly. Certainly things to consider!

Jiko, it just sounds fabulous....we are in the minority in that we thought Boma was just okay

I've heard many mixed reviews about Boma, actually. It's the only one of the three we've tried, and I personally loved it, but you are not alone in your critique.

I personally don't think you can go wrong with any of the choices at AKL.

I think you're probably right on with that statement. I'm betting no matter which we choose, that it will be a no-lose situation. It's still fun to hear people's opinions though, so thanks for the replies and votes! :mickey:

PopPhan
08-03-2011, 12:36 PM
We've eaten twice at each and like Sanaa the best of the three.

Jiko is a Signature restaurant, so takes 2TS credits....Nice, but hit or miss on service/seating...

Boma is, as other have said, a buffet and can be a bit on the 'trying' side -- trying to get through the lines at the buffet, trying to get through the restaurant to your table, trying to get refills on drinks/get table bussed...

Sanaa is a very relaxed setting with the added plus of the fully windowed wall to see the animals...even if not seated at the windows, the view is often very nice...May get a little loud if there are a number of celebrations going on!! :D it's all fun though.

SBETigg
08-03-2011, 12:56 PM

No. Jiko is. Boma and Sanaa are not.

the real Alice
08-03-2011, 01:17 PM
We tried Boma a few years ago after reading tons of rave reviews. None of my family liked it (and there were no kids to be picky!). I was really dissappointed. I haven't been to the other 2, but I hope you find something great!

Mousemates
08-03-2011, 01:46 PM
we love Boma.

darthmacho
08-03-2011, 07:40 PM
I guess it's 3-3-3 after nine votes. At least it confirms that the decision is difficult. :mickey:

MississippiDisneyFreak
08-03-2011, 09:47 PM
Ha, I just looked and it was 4-4-4...well since you've already done Boma why not try something new and that will help you narrow it down to 2....

darthmacho
08-04-2011, 07:08 AM
Ha, I just looked and it was 4-4-4...well since you've already done Boma why not try something new and that will help you narrow it down to 2....

Funny you should say that because my original intention was to eat at Boma again because we loved it so much in 2003. (Boma is ahead 7-4-4 by the way.) I never really considered Jiko because of the 2 credits it cost on the plan. In the meantime, I was listening to a podcast and I heard about Sanaa, and it sounded so great, and I confirmed that when I looked it up afterward. I didn't even know it existed. I was debating Boma or Sanaa, when I found out T-Rex wasn't a DDP, so that freed up points, suddenly making it a delicious three-way dilemma! Of course, that's when I thought to as the experts here... :mickey:

iceicebritney
08-04-2011, 08:22 AM
Jiko has amazing wines if you are interested in that. It's definitely my pick:mickey:

MississippiDisneyFreak
08-04-2011, 08:57 AM
Funny you should say that because my original intention was to eat at Boma again because we loved it so much in 2003. (Boma is ahead 7-4-4 by the way.) I never really considered Jiko because of the 2 credits it cost on the plan. In the meantime, I was listening to a podcast and I heard about Sanaa, and it sounded so great, and I confirmed that when I looked it up afterward. I didn't even know it existed. I was debating Boma or Sanaa, when I found out T-Rex wasn't a DDP, so that freed up points, suddenly making it a delicious three-way dilemma! Of course, that's when I thought to as the experts here... :mickey:

I looked at the food pics on Disney website and I must say the food at Sanaa does look good...I see Boma is ahead now BTW

AllDisney
08-04-2011, 09:23 AM
We love Jiko

darthmacho
08-04-2011, 11:02 AM
Jiko has amazing wines if you are interested in that. It's definitely my pick:mickey:

Great selling point! After WDW, wine is my greatest obsession! :wine::crazy: