PDA

View Full Version : ADRs at California Grill with Window Seating

yourmagicalguide
08-01-2011, 03:17 PM
DH and I are very tempted to make an ADR to enjoy a gourmet dessert at California Grill during the Hallo-Wishes (so we don't have to pay over $100 during the trick-or-treating to stay in MK just to watch the special fireworks). But, even with an ADR, I know that doesn't guarantee a table by a window for good firework viewing. If I make the ADR, should we show up extra early and say we'll wait until a table next to a window opens up? Help! :confused:

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated! :mickey:

spoiledraf
08-01-2011, 04:20 PM
You could try that. But you could also just have them time your dinner so that when hallowishes starts, if you don't have a window seat, just wander to a spot where you can see the show. A lot of people did that last time we were there. We were fortunate to get a window seat as a comp for a computer glitch that cost us a few hours.
Too bad you will miss the parade because it's a pretty show deal as well. Good luck with the window seat.

buzznwoodysmom
08-01-2011, 04:22 PM
I would not stress about a window table. We timed our ADR with Wishes and went watch it outside on the balcony during our meal. Great view of Wishes and MK. I think the outdoor viewing area is better than watching it from your table.

yourmagicalguide
08-01-2011, 04:47 PM
We timed our ADR with Wishes and watched it outside on the balcony during our meal.

I have never been to California Grill, so I had no idea they had a balcony area to watch the fireworks! :party: That would solve everthing. Thanks so much for the help :D

buzznwoodysmom
08-01-2011, 04:54 PM
I have never been to California Grill, so I had no idea they had a balcony area to watch the fireworks! :party: That would solve everthing. Thanks so much for the help :D

Glad I could help. I don't know if it with be just your DH and you, but its a very romantic place to be. DH and I had a date night, left the kids in the room with my mom, and had a very nice, romantic evening! Watching Wishes from the balcony with DH was one of the highlights from that trip! Many people leave their tables and venture outside, and the space fills up quickly. I think a few minutes before Wishes an announcement is made. DH and I got out there before the announcement was made. We were the first ones out and the place filled within about 5 minutes after we got out there. I think we went outside about 10 minutes before Wishes. We were lucky enough that we were just finishing with appitizers when Wishes started, and our waiter waited till we were seated again to bring out the main entrees so our food was still hot and fresh. Good luck and enjoy your evening there!

yourmagicalguide
08-01-2011, 04:55 PM
When hallowishes starts, if you don't have a window seat, just wander to a spot where you can see the show. [...] Too bad you will miss the parade because it's a pretty show deal as well.

Thanks for the advice :) From the information I read on California Grill, I thought you could only see the fireworks from a window seat table. I feel so much more relaxed about this now.

The Halloween parade did sound really cool, but DH and I just can't justify paying over $100 just to attend this event (if we had kids to take trick-or-treating, it would be different ;) ).

buzznwoodysmom
08-02-2011, 09:32 AM
The Halloween parade did sound really cool, but DH and I just can't justify paying over $100 just to attend this event (if we had kids to take trick-or-treating, it would be different ;) ).

I have two sons, ages 11 and 9, and when we did the Halloween party they didn't even want to Trick or Treat. We stopped at a few of the TorT locations, then they told me "candy is over rated, we are in MK, we want to ride some rides". Most of the attractions are still running for the party. We spent our time at the party doing the attractions, watching the parade and fireworks, checking out the dance parties, but not much trick or treating. So don't think that the party is just for kids and trick or treating, its definitely not!

Add just wanted to add that your night at Cali Grill could possibly cost more than the Halloween party. DH and I spent over $200 on our meal there. We had drinks, apps, sushi, two entrees, and dessert, but even if you don't order that much you can easily spend the same amount or more at dinner than you would for two tickets to the party. It depends on what you want more, extra time in MK and getting to see the parade and fireworks upclose, or a nice dinner.

yourmagicalguide
08-02-2011, 10:20 AM
Your night at Cali Grill could possibly cost more than the Halloween party. [...] It depends on what you want more, extra time in MK and getting to see the parade and fireworks upclose, or a nice dinner.

Thanks for the advice! I really appreciate all your help :)

We actually just wanted to go to California Grill for dessert to keep costs down, so we were thinking of making an ADR for around 9 PM since the Hallo-Wishes is scheduled for 9:30 PM. It would also be the last night of our vacation, so we thought it would be special to go to a classy restaurant and enjoy a decadent dessert. Seeing the fireworks would be an added magical bonus :D

:mickey:

brivers222
08-02-2011, 10:35 AM
Thanks for the advice :) From the information I read on California Grill, I thought you could only see the fireworks from a window seat table. I feel so much more relaxed about this now.

we are doing that at the Cali Grill twice for our trip... we actually have a dinner ressie after the fireworks but we plan on arriving early and using the balcony to see them.

Ps. about the MNSSHP... you DON'T need to have kids to have a blast there. My fiance and I went actually 3 times during our trip last october (it was our first ever time doing a party like that) Trick or treating was a BLAST!!! and no, we don't have kids, and that didn't even matter. You get to meet and greet a lot of characters that aren't out during normal park hours and the fireworks... well lets just say, being right there in the park is definitely an experience for those lol talk about 360 surround fire in the sky!

tyandskyesmom
08-02-2011, 10:52 AM
Just wanted to add...don't count on being seated by they time Hallo-wishes starts with a 9pm ADR if they are at 9:30pm...most other people there already are not giving up tables that close to fireworks viewing...so the balcony will most likely be your best bet for seeing them...we learned this the hard way...

yourmagicalguide
08-02-2011, 11:00 AM
Ps. about the MNSSHP... you DON'T need to have kids to have a blast there. My fiance and I went actually 3 times during our trip last october (it was our first ever time doing a party like that) Trick or treating was a BLAST!!! and no, we don't have kids, and that didn't even matter.

I guess my comment about not having kids to take to MNSSHP was a bit misleading :blush:

What I meant to say was that if we had kids with us, we would probably feel like the extra money would be more worthwhile since they could go trick-or-treating at Disney (very cool), possibly meet their favorite characters and see them in costumes, and all the other special Halloween festivities :magic: I know adults (like yourself) have had a great time without kids at this event, but it personally doesn't appeal to us for this particular trip.

Thanks for sharing! :mickey:

yourmagicalguide
08-02-2011, 11:13 AM
Just wanted to add...don't count on being seated by they time Hallo-wishes starts with a 9pm ADR if they are at 9:30pm...most other people there already are not giving up tables that close to fireworks viewing...so the balcony will most likely be your best bet for seeing them...we learned this the hard way...

I worried about the possibility of that happening...

Right now, the only time I can get an ADR at CG is at 9:25 PM - which is only 5 minutes before the fireworks start :unsure: I'm wondering if I should just book the ADR, show up a bit early and ask if we can head straight out to the balcany :confused: I read that CG closes at 10 PM, though, so I don't know how well this will work...

tyandskyesmom
08-02-2011, 11:46 AM
We did arrive early and we were told that we were welcome to stand out on the balcony to watch...so that should work.

buzznwoodysmom
08-02-2011, 07:41 PM
I worried about the possibility of that happening...

Right now, the only time I can get an ADR at CG is at 9:25 PM - which is only 5 minutes before the fireworks start :unsure: I'm wondering if I should just book the ADR, show up a bit early and ask if we can head straight out to the balcany :confused: I read that CG closes at 10 PM, though, so I don't know how well this will work...

You should have no problems doing this. Remember they advise you to arrive 15 minutes early for ADRs anyway. If you arrive even 20 minutes early they will still allow you to enter and go out to the balcony. DH and I arrived almost 30 minutes early. We were taking WDW transportation so we wanted to make sure we allowed enough time incase of delays. We were taken up and had drinks at the bar while we waited to be seated. We were actually seated about 10-15 minutes prior to our ADR time, and like I said earlier had just had apps when we went out to view Wishes from the balcony. What you have in mind will be fine. Enjoy!

Kairi_7378
08-02-2011, 09:08 PM
We watched Hallowishes from the balcony because our table was in the wine room. I say take the late ADR and get there a little early.

Fastpasssteve
08-03-2011, 12:30 AM
While it takes a reservation well in advance for any table in the California Grill, but one can always walk up and usually get a seat at the bar for eating and/or drinking. That's the best bet. When it's time for the firworks, go out to one of two balconies they have there.

I always go out on the back balcony (ask where the door is) which is clearly less crowded. Go all the way out to the end a few minutes early and you will have an unmatched view!