PDA

View Full Version : Point Pleasant Beach, NJ

DisneyDog
08-01-2011, 02:50 PM
We are heading to the Beach! Normally, we would head to South Jersey, but we are just tired of it. So, we are going to Point Pleasant Beach, and going to a Blueclaws game in Lakewood. Anyone have any suggestions of things to do there, such as really good seafood restaurants? We've never been there, so we are really excited. Thanks!!

Tink#64
08-02-2011, 12:35 AM
Where exactly is Point Beach? I'm curious as we're planning a trip to Ny & surrounding area & really looking for a beach to relax at for a couple of days before heading home!

VWL Mom
08-02-2011, 07:14 AM
Lobster Shanty is a longstanding favorite with us. It's been there forever and is very popular amongst the summer visitors so I would suggest a reservation. Great seafood, great water views. They do have a web-site if you want to check it out.

There are some great little places along the inlet where the fishing boats come in that are nice for lunch outdoors (bathing suit attire ok). They're not much to look at but the quality of the seafood is outstanding.

Beware! Parking & beach fees are high. DS19 and his friends go down once a week and I believe he said parking is now $20 and beach access is $8 per person.

You can check out Jenkinson's online, they have a beach cam & a penguin cam (from the aquarium).

BTW, the Blueclaw games are a lot of fun, you'll enjoy it.

VWL Mom
08-02-2011, 07:29 AM
Where exactly is Point Beach? I'm curious as we're planning a trip to Ny & surrounding area & really looking for a beach to relax at for a couple of days before heading home!

Point Pleasant is the more northern of the Jersey beaches. It does attract a lot of NJ day trippers because of that. If you're looking for low-key, Point pleasant wouldn't be my first choice. You might want to go far south to Cape May or Wildwood Crest. Haven't been to either in ages so can't help you out on that.

kcrc
08-02-2011, 09:17 AM
Disneydog, I grew up in Manasquan (next beach town north) and still live 15 minutes from Point Pleasant. If you want to, PM me and let me know the ages of folks in your group, and what types of activities you are looking for, and I would be glad to provide whatever info I can!

NJGIRL
08-02-2011, 01:52 PM
Point Pleasant is the more northern of the Jersey beaches. It does attract a lot of NJ day trippers because of that. If you're looking for low-key, Point pleasant wouldn't be my first choice. You might want to go far south to Cape May or Wildwood Crest. Haven't been to either in ages so can't help you out on that.

I think children would be bored in Cape May. There is a lighthouse there , but that's about it for young children. Cape May is also on the expensive side. For a family Wildwood is more the way to go unless you want to be away from the action altogether.

Sorry to get away from the topic, I have never been to Point Pleasant. :D

DisneyDog
08-02-2011, 03:50 PM
I wouldn't take my son to Wildwood. With kids, I think Ocean City is the better choice. However, IF I was going to South Jersey, I would prefer to stay in Cape May and drive to other destinations for entertainment. Cape May is quiet and safe. Then, I would go to OC for the boardwalk. But, we are tired of South Jersey Beaches and need to do something different.

NJGIRL
08-02-2011, 11:12 PM
I wouldn't take my son to Wildwood..

Why? My son loves Wildwood.

I would prefer to stay in Cape May and drive to other destinations for entertainment...

That's too much driving for us. If we are on vacation and want to go on the boardwalk everynight we don't want to drive 30 mins one way to get to it.

Cape May is quiet and safe....

Too quiet for us. We have gone for day trips before and my son has been bored there. I think couples and older people get more enjoyment from Cape May. Safe....It doesn't attrack the younger crowd, but it has it's share of problems too. We live close to the shore and have friends that live in all three towns so we often hear about the stuff that doesn't make the news.

I don't blame you for wanting a change. We never do the same vacation over and over again. Too much to see and do. We like trying new places.

diz_girl
08-03-2011, 02:08 PM
I wouldn't take my son to Wildwood. With kids, I think Ocean City is the better choice. However, IF I was going to South Jersey, I would prefer to stay in Cape May and drive to other destinations for entertainment. Cape May is quiet and safe. Then, I would go to OC for the boardwalk. But, we are tired of South Jersey Beaches and need to do something different.

Then Point Pleasant Beach is probably a good bet for you. It's a safe family-friendly beach with a small boardwalk and some games and rides, as well as the Jenkinson's Aquarium. You pay one price for the aquarium, get your hand stamped and can go back for the whole day. They have penguin and seal feedings throughout the day, so although it's not a big aquarium it's enjoyable.

For entertainment, a bigger boardwalk and nightlife, there's Seaside Heights a short drive further down the island/penninsula. Point Pleasant Beach is at the north end of the island and Island Beach State Park is at the south end of the island, with Seaside Heights just north of the state park.

If you want really low-key, meaning a town with a boardwalk that has no rides or games, then try Spring Lake or Ocean Grove. Both places are just beach, ocean and a boardwalk that's just boards.

princessgirls
08-03-2011, 03:39 PM
Point Pleasant has a lot going for it. Nice boardwalk, good food, nice beaches. My FAVORITE place to eat is the Lobster Shanty, as another poster said. I made my DH take me there a few times both years I was pregnant over the summer. It's only an hour and a half drive for us. I'm hip on Ocean Grove these days. It's only an hour from my house. Clean bathrooms, free parking, cute town, good eats and shops, and you can drive over to the Point Pleasant boardwalk.

We are also BIG fans of Wildwood Crest. Just spent four days in a "beach motel". It was a fun time, beach was great, motel was clean and had a refreshing pool, boardwalk was fun and we did the waterpark one morning.

Enjoy your time at the Jersey Shore!
Julie:mickey:

DisneyDog
08-03-2011, 08:18 PM
I guess I just find Wildwood to be a bit overwhelming. Lots of tacky shops and loud music. It always feels overrun with older teenagers with a "spring break" mentality...like Jersey Shore. But, I think the big thing for me is that the beach is so huge, the walk from the boards to the shore is so long. Not easy with kids and hauling stuff.

We used to stay at a house in Cape May Courthouse every year. It was out in the wetlands. Quiet, peaceful. We loved staying there. They even let us bring our dogs with us. Charged us next to nothing (they were friends of the family.) We never gave a second thought to our vacation. But, they sold the house and we haven't had a decent beach vacation in years. We would go to the beach in Stone Harbor, drive to OC boardwalk, walk around Cape May. But, everytime we went to Wildwood, I felt overwhelmed, unsafe. It reminds me of South Street in Philly, if you've ever been there. South Street is okay during the day, but at night...completely different environment.

barnaby
08-03-2011, 11:18 PM
I think Wildwood gets a bad rap. Yes, it has the tacky shops and loud music but overall safety wise, it really isn't a bad as people make it out to be.
I always vacationed there as a kid, spent 3 summers there full-time, and lived there year round for 5 years. I've spent alot of nights on the boardwalk, and many recently with my kids. I've never had a problem.
I guess I am just used to it.

NJGIRL
08-04-2011, 07:30 AM
I think the big thing for me is that the beach is so huge, the walk from the boards to the shore is so long. Not easy with kids and hauling stuff.

That's for sure. I know Wildwood has the biggest beach that I have ever seen!

NJGIRL
08-04-2011, 07:38 AM
I think Wildwood gets a bad rap. Yes, it has the tacky shops and loud music but overall safety wise, it really isn't a bad as people make it out to be.
I always vacationed there as a kid, spent 3 summers there full-time, and lived there year round for 5 years. I've spent alot of nights on the boardwalk, and many recently with my kids. I've never had a problem.
I guess I am just used to it.

We like Wildwood because it has something for everyone. It has much more to do than OC. My son loves to play the games and OC doesn't have any. We have never had a safety issue in Wildwood either. It is louder than OC but that is part of the fun for us. I think the beach is still free also.

We do like OC also, in fact we are staying there for three weeks starting this weekend. It is a more low keyed boardwalk. One thing you have to remember if staying in OC is that it is a dry town and adults won't be able to get drinks while dinning.

kathiep
08-04-2011, 01:46 PM
I guess I just find Wildwood to be a bit overwhelming. Lots of tacky shops and loud music. It always feels overrun with older teenagers with a "spring break" mentality...like Jersey Shore. But, I think the big thing for me is that the beach is so huge, the walk from the boards to the shore is so long. Not easy with kids and hauling stuff.

I think you will like Point Pleasant. We live locally and can be in either Point Pleasant or Seaside within 20 minutes.

Seaside definitely has more of what you describe as the spring break mentality. We took our kids up there a few weeks ago and while we had a good time, - after 9pm or so - it gets a little more rowdy and definitely less family friendly.

We just went to Point Pleasant this Monday and immediately felt the different atmosphere. Based on your descriptions I think you will be happy.

I think you'll have a great time at the Blueclaws game. It's a terrific, budget friendly way to spend an evening. If you can - try to go on Friday's - they have fireworks after the game.

As for seafood resaturants - the Lobster Shanty is good as is the Wharfside. I have also heard good things about Rockafella's Clam Bar & Grille. - it's right on the inlet.

iceicebritney
08-04-2011, 01:59 PM
We love point pleasant beach! It's the only beach well go to in nj anymore!

Martell's tiki bar has a great area roped off on the beach which has waitresses drink service. It's near the Jenkins ms pavilion. The area also is adults over 21 only which cuts down on the kids. There are palm trees on their beach and it almost makes you feel like your in Florida!

Enjoy point pleasant!