PDA

View Full Version : am i crazy??

almccart
08-01-2011, 01:27 PM
Just thinking about bring my 3 month old baby boy to disney??? I am a BIG disney fan! How hard would this be to do?? Has anyone brought their 3 month old baby? Any comments/suggestions. We might go in sept?

dizneydeb22
08-01-2011, 01:36 PM
You are absolutely NOT crazy! People would always say to me that he'll never remember, not be able to do anything, etc. What they failed to realize is that those memories were for my husband and I! I still show our son our pictures from those trips. They are bonding moments now and memories we will always have. Do what you want! Good Luck with your decision! Traveling to Disney with an infant is by no means easy, but also not unmanageable. Plan on being spontaneous! :mickey:

almccart
08-01-2011, 01:38 PM
Thanks! Unless you r a disney fan, u will not understand. I feel the same way you do. I want to go to Disney and create a wonderful memory. I know that we would take lots of pics to have lots of wonderful memories!:mickey:

MNNHFLTX
08-01-2011, 01:49 PM
No, lots of people bring their infants to WDW. As has already been mentioned, it creates lots of happy memories for the parents, if not the child. :)

I would suggest that very young infants (under 6 months of age) not be out in the hottest part of a Florida summer day as they cannot self-regulate their body temperature and could easily become over-heated. That and keep your little boy well-hydrated, of course!

Jillirose
08-01-2011, 02:30 PM
I think it's fine, as long as you put their needs first. I can't tell you how many sunburned infants I've seen overheating and crabby at the parks. My brother brought his toddler and hit parks in the a.m., pool after lunch, and nap in the room, with night hopping as an option. That seemed to work well for the baby.

buzznwoodysmom
08-01-2011, 02:53 PM
Personally I wouldn't want to bring my own baby till at least 6 months, but that's a personal decision. The youngest we actually brought our children was 9 months old. I've seen plenty of babies in the parks and none looked too uncomfortable. I would not take a baby who had not had at least some of their vaccines, but by 3 months yours shoud have at least had one round. My main concern with taking a baby at 3 months has more to do with the time of year than the age of the baby. September can still be very hot. I know how miserable the parks can be when its really hot. I wouldn't want to have to worry about the baby getting a sun burn, or getting over heated, or just being uncomfortable in general. Other than the heat I see no reason why not! Also wanted to add, that a baby is much easier than a toddler. It was easy to feed and change them, you gotta feed and change them no matter where you go, not sure why some people think its harder in WDW. And they are not yet wanting to walk. For me that's when it was harder, when they were just starting to walk.

Disney Doll
08-01-2011, 03:11 PM
I wouldn't bring a baby that young in Sept. It's too hot and he won't be comfortable. If you delayed by even one month it could be a lot more tolerable. By mid-Oct temps are down some. Even then I would recommend a clip-on fan and a UV sunshade attachment for your stroller.

buzznwoodysmom
08-01-2011, 03:17 PM
I wouldn't bring a baby that young in Sept. It's too hot and he won't be comfortable. If you delayed by even one month it could be a lot more tolerable. By mid-Oct temps are down some. Even then I would recommend a clip-on fan and a UV sunshade attachment for your stroller.

I was just going to recommend the same thing. By waiting just one month the temps go down considerably. We were in WDW last Oct., for Halloween, and it was warm enough for the kids to swim, but we were never sweating at all in the parks. Your chances of better weather for the baby are much greater in Oct. than Sept.

Terra
08-01-2011, 03:35 PM
You are absolutely NOT crazy! People would always say to me that he'll never remember, not be able to do anything, etc. What they failed to realize is that those memories were for my husband and I! I still show our son our pictures from those trips. They are bonding moments now and memories we will always have. Do what you want! Good Luck with your decision! Traveling to Disney with an infant is by no means easy, but also not unmanageable. Plan on being spontaneous! :mickey:

I could not agree more! Some people may not like or may not agree. But we love it! My first son went when he was 4 weeks old, my second was 2.5 months! They are 3 and 4.5 now and they really enjoy it! They also love looking at pictures of them when they were younger!!

big blue and hairy
08-01-2011, 05:22 PM
You are absolutely NOT crazy! People would always say to me that he'll never remember, not be able to do anything, etc. What they failed to realize is that those memories were for my husband and I! I still show our son our pictures from those trips.
While I totally agree with the second part, do we really know almccart isn't crazy?? :funny:

:sulley:

dizneydeb22
08-02-2011, 10:46 AM
While I totally agree with the second part, do we really know almccart isn't crazy?? :funny:

:sulley:

Too funny! Thanks for the giggle this morning!!:crazy:

boston2k11
08-02-2011, 10:53 AM
Both my sons have been to the world:mickey:as babies.My oldest was 18mo.and youngest was only about 1yr.old.A 3mo old will be content being strolled so easier than an older infant.I don't necessarily think its crazy but I went with the attitude like I might not be able to do everything...def have to pack alot more and we always took periodic swim breaks or just relaxed in the ac'd room a bit then back to MK at night.

AmandaChan
08-02-2011, 12:43 PM
Also wanted to add, that a baby is much easier than a toddler. It was easy to feed and change them, you gotta feed and change them no matter where you go, not sure why some people think its harder in WDW. And they are not yet wanting to walk. For me that's when it was harder, when they were just starting to walk.

Yeah, we took our 13.5 month old and it was a great experience but yes very challenging. It wasn't as hard keeping him cooled down and comfortable as I thought because it seems every chance we had we went through a store in the air or I waited in the gift shop at a ride while everyone else rode and I just met them on the way out. DH and I compromised, too. We have been several times alone and it WAS very different with a baby. I rode my favorites and I let him ride his favorites with his family if baby couldn't get on. Be very careful with loud sounds, too.. he might be a little young to really get scared but he could be startled and the Great Movie Ride was a lot louder than I remember! haha

Also just use common sense. DH and I got to do a lot but things change when others are involved (his family came too). I didn't even get to do philharmagic and that's one of my favorites! Oh well!

poohbearkris
08-02-2011, 08:49 PM
I took my son when he was 3 1/2 months old and my other son was almost 4 and we went in September. It was warm, but not as warm as other Septembers I have been there. I had the baby in the stroller, but I also wore one of the Baby Bjorn carriers a lot. He was nursing and it was very easy to find secluded areas to nurse him in addition to the baby centers. I would definitely do it. Both my kids started out there early and they are fanatics about it now.

nfrustaci
08-02-2011, 10:15 PM
Just thinking about bring my 3 month old baby boy to disney??? I am a BIG disney fan! How hard would this be to do?? Has anyone brought their 3 month old baby? Any comments/suggestions. We might go in sept?

not crazy !!!! it will probably be the easiest trip to the world. most little ones sleep alot. sleep, eat, and pardon me but poop. i loved the world when nicky was a baby. we ride swaped and it was awesome. its when the kids start walking that it becomes a little crazy but still just as wonderful. i did mail all his diapers, food, drink and all the little things u need. amazing how much stuff u really need for such a little person. have a great time.

Terra
08-03-2011, 09:55 AM
I think it's fine, as long as you put their needs first. I can't tell you how many sunburned infants I've seen overheating and crabby at the parks. My brother brought his toddler and hit parks in the a.m., pool after lunch, and nap in the room, with night hopping as an option. That seemed to work well for the baby.
I agree with you on that. When we did take our young babies, we didn't plan on doing everything. Just taking the day as it came, nice and easy. When baby wanted to nurse I just sat and nursed. If they were over stimulated we found a dark place to rest for a few moments [generally that's the only time I went into the nursing rooms]. It was great :)

Personally I wouldn't want to bring my own baby till at least 6 months, but that's a personal decision. The youngest we actually brought our children was 9 months old. I've seen plenty of babies in the parks and none looked too uncomfortable. I would not take a baby who had not had at least some of their vaccines, but by 3 months yours shoud have at least had one round. My main concern with taking a baby at 3 months has more to do with the time of year than the age of the baby. September can still be very hot. I know how miserable the parks can be when its really hot. I wouldn't want to have to worry about the baby getting a sun burn, or getting over heated, or just being uncomfortable in general. Other than the heat I see no reason why not! Also wanted to add, that a baby is much easier than a toddler. It was easy to feed and change them, you gotta feed and change them no matter where you go, not sure why some people think its harder in WDW. And they are not yet wanting to walk. For me that's when it was harder, when they were just starting to walk.
Yes, definitely agree with many, don't take them when it's too hot though. Shoot I don't even take my 3 and 4.5 year old when it's too hot :)

We don't do any vaccines and have been taking our babies since 4 weeks. I wear them in a carrier the whole time [except for diaper changes of course. I nurse them in the carrier. No one else holds or touches them. They did great :) But agree, to each their own on how young!

I adore looking back at pictures of being there with them when they were young!

lawgirl
08-16-2011, 04:05 PM
We took our son when he was about 5.5 months old. It was great. Make sure you have plenty of supplies, especially for the flight.

We never had to use them, but I've heard the baby centers at the parks are great. Make sure you check them out.

Its such a great age, and the Bjorn carriers are awesome! So much easier than when they are running around!

Disney4
08-23-2011, 05:48 PM
My daughter was 13 weeks when we brought her to Disneyland for the first time.

Honestly, the park is tamer than many venues we visit locally. The concierge had a ball spoilingher with presents!

Just be wary of hydration/naps/quiet time.

Have fun!

AgentC
08-24-2011, 01:23 PM
I took both my son to Disney for the first time at 7 months and my daughter at 8 months. I also took my son to Busch Gardens (Tampa) at 2.5 months.

The trips when my children were infants were actually easier than when they were toddlers. As babies, both of mine were content to ride in the stroller and look around. Other than a few problems with loud noises, they were easy to take on rides such as HM, ISASW, POTC, PP etc. I agree with the other posted who said you will have great memories from the trips.

As far as hints, I love the baby care centers. Although every restroom has a changing table, the centers have lots of tables, seating areas, high chairs, filtered water, microwaves and nursing rooms. It was nice to get in from the heat and just relax. I used them a lot.

Although the baby center have emergency supplies, they can be expensive. Try to make sure you have enough diapers, bottles, change of clothes etc.

If you are going to use a stroller(as opposed to or in addition to a carrier), plan on bringing your own or perhaps renting from a local company. Disney strollers are meant for older children who can sit up.

Other than that have a great time and take it slow.

My husband and I always said that we would never bring our children until they were older, but quickly changed our minds once we had our own and never regretted it. :mickey: