PDA

View Full Version : Hilton Head

btown
08-01-2011, 11:23 AM
We leave for HH in 2 weeks for our first visit in a 2brm @ Disney HH. We are driving from NJ. Im looking for some old threads on info for bike rentals, restaurants, chair rentals. thinhs to do etc. We are also looking for a great boat to go out for a 4hr fishing charter. Not having luck...anyone can post past threads or post any suggestions. We are very excited.

floridamom
08-01-2011, 01:25 PM
Just returned from a week on HHI-- wonderful as always. We stayed at a Marriott timeshare in Shelter Cove, not far from the DVC there. I can't speak to the DVC amenities, but Shelter Cove has fireworks every Tuesday night-very convenient and there are also plenty of kayaking trips, boat charters, etc. that run out of there. I would imagine you can rent bikes on-site, but if not, there are bike rental shops everywhere on the island. I would also recommend a trip into Sea Pines at some point--Harbortown and South Beach Marina are popular stops.

One thing that I am sure you realize is that you will be overlooking Broad Creek (marsh area) rather than the beach. There is a shuttle service to Disney's beach club in Palmetto Dunes-- about a 5 minute drive, or you can bike there-- the paths are good and there is a bridge that goes under the main road.

We tried a few new restuarants this time: With a group of 8 we ate at A Lowcountry Backyard, which was a bit off the beaten path but excellent, and Flatbread Grill in Coligny Plaza, which was recommended by a local friend and did not disappoint. Restaurants tend to be very busy this time of year, so plan ahead and go early (or late) if you can. DH and I also enjoyed a night out without the kids at Robert Irvine's Eat!, which was very good. One night we bought fantastic local shrimp from a little stand, along with some mussels and sides from Fresh Market, and steamed them in our villa. (We brought along an extra large pot for this purpose.)

Hope you have a great time!

luvDaMouse
08-01-2011, 07:42 PM
Loved Hilton Head! We stayed in a 2brm in building 22 one building away from the pool. I loved the location. We had a marsh view, first floor. If you don't mind walking upstairs I would recommend the 2nd floor if you can get it. The people above us sounded like they were wearing big heavy boots running back and forth:(. When you park they have wooden luggage carts by the parking areas so you can load up and wheel it right to your room, very convienent ( we had 6 people so we made a couple of trips) the villas are very Roomy so you will have plenty of room. We rented bikes at the resort 30$ for length of stay ( dvc member price) non members I think were 35$ I do think you could get a better price
at other places on the island for multiple bike
rentals and most if not all will pick up and
deliver. We rode our bikes to guiseppes pizza
twice very good! We ate at Bonefish grill,
Hudsons on the dock, the smokehouse BBQ,
kingfisher which is in shelter cove so you can
walk there, earls of sandwich ( not to be
confused with the one in downtown Disneys :) it's
a small pub in coligny village, and the salty dog in sea pines. All the restaraunts were good!

You can rent umbrellas and chairs on the beach
I thought it was expensive, we rented a couple of days I cannot remember how much it was.

I would like to take a trip to Daufskie island did
not get a chance to do that this year but it looked like it would be fun. There are books all
over the island that have a ton of things to do, just pick up one when you get there.

The activities at the resort are good too, we did Micky tie dye. We were there in May so there were no fireworks, but on the plus side it was not crowded at all. :thumbsup:

We loved Hilton Head and cannot wait to go back next year!
Have fun! :)
Dana:mickey:

Basket Mommy
08-02-2011, 12:21 AM
We went to HHI in March 2010. We took a 6 hour fishing trip with Capt. Mike on the Gullah Gal. I highly recommend them. Mike and his 1st mate (whose name I honestly do not remember) were infinitely patient with our 4 kids (ages 12, 9, 7 and 5 at the time). We had an amazing time and caught lots of great black striped bass. They were skinned and filleted for us so we could cook them when we got back to the room. We will definitely go back on the Gullah Gal next time we're in HHI. To find them, just Google "Gullah Gal" and you'll see the link.

Aurora
08-03-2011, 12:03 AM
Here you go:

http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=179656&highlight=hilton+head

http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=169928&highlight=hilton+head

http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=166026

http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=157457&highlight=hilton+head

(The last one is a multi-part report; this is the first part.)