PDA

View Full Version : Poll question, Does John need a time out?

teamblackwell
08-01-2011, 01:08 AM
In reference to Episode 19 and the monorail discussion, does John need a time out?

When my 4 year old son starts having a tantrum because he wants everything every handed to him, every second of the day, he gets a nice time out. Does John need a time out????

Gary, you rock!! I got your back on this one.

Carol
08-01-2011, 06:54 AM
I didn't vote since;

No - He simply wants what he pays for --- was not an option.

:goof:

You might want to listen again. It was Gary having a tantrum. ;)

John
08-01-2011, 07:43 AM
You do realize I can delete accounts right? :thedolls:

If I was thowing a tantrum, then as Carol said, Gary was as well.

Ooops - looks like someone edited the poll!

Thanks for listening :thumbsup:

SBETigg
08-01-2011, 09:50 AM
I appreciate someone speaking for the monorail deluxe fans. It's not exactly expecting things handed to you when you're paying that kind of money for a room based in large part on location and transportation ease. Changing the transportation options does offer some cause for concern. I'm willing to see how it works out, but it's definitely not sounding like a good thing right now.

CajunDisneyDad
08-01-2011, 09:54 AM
Trust me, John, or Gary or whomever isnt the only one concerned about getting what they pay for. And as Disney keeps raising prices, and taking stuff away, you will see the chorus growing larger and louder...but then again, as someone put it on another thread, if you dont like it, dont go! If enough people stop going, eventully disney will get the message...or they will shut down the parks, which if that happens, I see Walt Disney thawing out and going after some people will a really big stick!

Just my 2 pennys worth!

dpamac
08-01-2011, 11:11 AM
While I think John deserves a time out for many reasons (I'll send you a list), I understand his point. Even if I disagree with it. I'm just glad we were in different states because I think he would have slapped me with a glove and challenged me to a duel.

Actually, listening back to it I'm glad we had that debate. I think it proves how different everyone views their time at Disney and what their needs are. I think it's easy to forget how different we all are because we all share this same (expensive) habit that we fail to realize what is important to others.

BrerGnat
08-01-2011, 01:22 PM
I don't think anyone needed a time out, but that's a funny way of putting it.

I honestly wonder if the Monorail is REALLY the best form of transportation for those three resorts. Think about it.

The walk to/from the Contemporary beats the monorail every time.

The boats (either ferry or resort launch) are a faster way to reach the Grand Floridian and Polynesian than the monorail.

Truly, the only benefit to the monorail is when heading directly to MK from GF or heading directly to CR from MK. If you are doing anything else, the boats or walking are faster.

Plus, if they take away the monorail for JUST those three hours, I guarantee a bus will be the FASTEST way to get back to the resort. It's like the Wilderness Lodge. You have the boat to MK which takes AGES, or the direct bus which takes 5 min. So what if it's a bus? It's efficient transportation.

I think the REAL question is, will Disney's "alternate" means of transportation be as fast as the monorail (which is to say, not that fast)? Time will tell. As long as they don't rely solely on the tiny resort launches, and they provide enough buses, I don't see what the big deal is.

John
08-01-2011, 01:30 PM
Having gone since 1974, I can assure you that even cast members call them "monorail resorts". Whether it's the official nomenclature may be one thing but it certainly is a selling point.

If it's not, just take out the track and replace it with asphalt and a dedicated bus route. See how that goes over.

Oh, and even if I'm staying at the contemporary, I'm still taking the monorail. If it's in the station, I don't think you're beating it to the lobby walking. Granted, it is an easy walk.

At the anniversary party next year, we may have to do some timed samples to see which way really is faster. I question your assesment Nat. To go to the poly from the MK, you have to stop at the GF first. My guess would be the travel times would be similar.

BTW, boats aren't air conditioned. Nothing better than riding on the highway in the sky in cool comfort after a long day.

And you made my point for me. 3 hours. Why tick people off for 3 hours that happens only once a week and ONLY during peak times. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

Melanie
08-01-2011, 03:11 PM
And you made my point for me. 3 hours. Why tick people off for 3 hours that happens only once a week and ONLY during peak times.

And that was my point (although I know I'm not good at asserting it). It's ONLY once a week and during peak times. ;)

JPL
08-01-2011, 04:14 PM
So Bummed I missed this show :(

Carol
08-01-2011, 04:26 PM
Ooops - looks like someone edited the poll!

:high5: I voted.

dpamac
08-01-2011, 05:15 PM
Oy.

SBETigg
08-01-2011, 05:46 PM
I honestly wonder if the Monorail is REALLY the best form of transportation for those three resorts. Think about it.

Plus, if they take away the monorail for JUST those three hours, I guarantee a bus will be the FASTEST way to get back to the resort. It's like the Wilderness Lodge. You have the boat to MK which takes AGES, or the direct bus which takes 5 min. So what if it's a bus? It's efficient transportation.

I think the REAL question is, will Disney's "alternate" means of transportation be as fast as the monorail (which is to say, not that fast)? Time will tell. As long as they don't rely solely on the tiny resort launches, and they provide enough buses, I don't see what the big deal is.

Well, I'm waiting to see. It might be okay, as you say. It might even be faster. It might not. My hesitation with it is the doubt that they will be as efficient with the bus service as they are with the monorail. Will buses come regularly enough? Will the boats now be mobbed? Will buses be too crowded and will I have to wait for the next bus? When they cut down the boat docking areas and stopped using the one that was GF/Poly specific at the one end, it definitely made the boat less efficient and a less pleasant option. There is more of a crowd to wait for that boat.

And I realize it sounds whiny and like no big deal to people who don't regularly stay at these resorts, but small transportation changes can make big differences there. And I am used to staying there and I like it because it's never a big deal- transportation is always easy, efficient, lots of options. I've stayed moderate and that was not the case. At all. Waits for buses, overcrowded buses, no other option without having your own car. Because it's only during EMH, I'm optimistic that it turns out to be not a big deal. Time will tell.

teamblackwell
08-02-2011, 12:12 AM
After further investigation, I have found evidence that John has a legitimate beef with this monorail issue.(though he seems to have alot of beefs; coffee, ticketing, refillable mugs,monorails)
From Disney's Polynesian website
"Complimentary transportation is available one hour prior to Disney Theme Park opening time up to one hour after Disney Theme Park closing time. Additionally, buses operate until 2:00 a.m. from the Downtown Disney Area. Certain areas of Walt Disney World Resort are also connected by well-lit, paved, low-grade walking paths."

The part that says "up to one hour after Disney Theme Park closing time" is vague and subject to interpretation. It does not explictly say it WILL stay open 1 hour after close, is says "up to" which could mean it shuts down 1 second after park closing or not even make it to closing time.
So, I concede that John has a legitamate beef after reviewing the evidence. Episode 20 "Where's the beef!!"
Gary is still the man though.

BrerGnat
08-02-2011, 11:56 AM
Well, I've stayed at the CR three times in the recent past. On every trip, the monorail was less than stellar at getting us around. The absolute worst is trying to get back to the CR from Epcot, of all places, via monorail. It's a trip that takes over 30 min. I wish there was a direct bus for that route, for one.

But I digress.

On my last trip, I chose to take a boat from MK to the Poly one afternoon. I videotaped the trip. Took under 7 minutes. And, for what it's worth, I beat the resort monorail that pulled into the MK station a minute after the boat I was on left the dock. That monorail was stopped just outside the CR for at least 4 minutes while our boat chugged on towards the Poly. So, I say, it all evens out in the end, usually.

Hammer
08-02-2011, 02:18 PM
As I travel on most trips with someone who uses a wheelchair, I will say the the monorail is the quickest and fastest option in this case, even over walking at CR. It is definitely more comfortable to use the monorail than to push my Mom to CR in the heat (she is very uncomfortable using an ECV in MK as she thinks she will accidentally run over a small child :) ). We were there last July until 2 AM with Mom and stayed at the GF. I know she would not have liked having to deal with a bus at 2 AM.

Remember, the boats to GF and Poly do not accommodate wheelchairs rolling on. If you are going to force her to use a bus, why should I book there :confused: ?

HoosierDisneyFan
08-07-2011, 09:27 PM
That whole exchange was funny... I agreed with Gary and thought John was overboard (ha ha). Interesting what is important to all of us. If WDW removed a "favorite" of mine I would be passionate as John!

Melanie
08-08-2011, 12:01 AM
I haven't listened back to this podcast (I lived it ;) ), but were Carol, Michael and I just not as passionate about our opinion? Sounds like we weren't even in the conversation. lol!

KylesMom
08-08-2011, 10:13 AM
Just playing catch-up & listened to Ep19 on my way in to work this morning. Although I'm only 43 minutes in, it's definitely a spirited debate which I side more to John's point of view than Gary's on this one. If I'm spending my money for a monorail resort anytime during the year, but especially during peak summer pricing (my choice, I know) - I expect said transportation to get me where I need to go if I'm visiting a park in the evening. After all, it's not being marketed to me as a boat & bus resort . . . and they aren't charging me like a boat & bus resort, either.

One thing I would like to point out is that if you were staying at a monorail resort for a week in July of this year, you would have the opportunity to participate in no less than two evening EMH at MK (Sunday & Friday) and one evening EMH at Epcot (Tuesday). Therefore, three of seven of your nights would be inconvenienced by no monorail transportation back to your monorail resort if you stayed for yet another perk they're hugely marketing to their guests, which is EMH. Whether the park is open until 11 pm when it closes at 8 during non-peak times, or 3 am when it's open until midnight during peak times, I believe they need to provide the preferred method of transportation to their guests.

I haven't listened back to this podcast (I lived it ;) ), but were Carol, Michael and I just not as passionate about our opinion? Sounds like we weren't even in the conversation. lol!

Of course you three were passionate - however, it seems Gary & John had the louder mics. :D

diz_girl
08-08-2011, 02:46 PM
Sorry Gary. Still a fan of the Fire & Math comment on the Podcast. Voted for John. For the following reason (which I also posted to a thread on the News & Rumors forum) -

I'm staying at BLT from November 12-19 and this would affect me greatly. There is only one night that the MK closes (regular hours) after 8 p.m that entire week. Regular hours for MK are either 7 or 8 p.m. (except the 12th), for DHS it is 8 p.m. every night and AK is 5 p.m. every night. So EPCOT is the only park open after 8 p.m. (excluding EMH) pretty much every night that week.

When I stay at a resort on the monorail, I tend to go to MK or EPCOT more than the other parks. Others may do the same thing. That will probably compel GF, CR, BLT and Poly guests to go to EPCOT once the MK closes, because of the ease of using the monorail. When the MK closes at 7 p.m., I like to zip on over to EPCOT for Illuminations and maybe some last minute rides. So the monorail can get people to EPCOT, but they're stuck at the TTC after EPCOT closing. Poly guests are excepted since their resort is right next to the TTC.

At first, it didn't seem a big deal, but now I am seeing that it will affect myself and others a lot more. The CR, BLT and GF guests will have to do a boat/walk combination or just take a LONG walk. So to get back to BLT, I have to take a boat to MK (if they're still running - what if it's not a MVMCP night) and then walk to BLT. My 71 y.o. dad is coming with us and due to back and knee issues can't do walks like that most days.

Right now when parks are open late, you won't see much of an effect. But when the parks cut back their hours in the fall and the lack of monorails after 8 or 9 p.m., there will be a lot more complaints. So the effect won't just be felt on the one night a week when the MK has EMH.

I'm staying at a monorail resort because it is a monorail resort. I'm paying for a monorail resort. I don't want to deal with buses and I plan to drive to AK. On our last trip I was on a packed bus and the guy standing in front of me was texting and when the bus turned he landed on the woman sitting next to me. What if that was one of my kids? So the monorail is my preferred mode of transportation for which I paid greatly.

Yes, WDW has said that it was temporary, but since they haven't provided a ending date I'm going to assume that it will be in effect for a while.

PirateLover
08-09-2011, 12:32 AM
Christine hit the nail on the head. For those on wheels, it's SO CONVENIENT. Just roll right on. Even for normal folks, you are almost guaranteed a SEAT. I can only remember standing on the monorail 2 or 3 times. Buses on the other hand, I stand on almost every night.

Also, as John mentioned- AIR CONDITIONING. Those boats get so stinkin' hot sometimes!
Haven't ridden the ferry in a long time, but we were not pleased with the resort launch when we stayed at WL last summer. It did not hold nearly enough people and we ended up waiting almost an hour in the middle of a day. We took the buses the rest of our stay. Wished we had a monorail to hop on. ,

Lastly, you have the MAGIC factor. No boat or bus ride can ever beat the magical feel of gliding along on the monorail. When I'm staying at a "monorail" resort, I expect to use that mode of transportation 100% of the time for MK and Epcot.

By the way.... I haven't even listened to the episode yet. We are saving up a few to listen to on our drive down at the end of August.

Ian
08-09-2011, 12:54 PM
It's like the Wilderness Lodge. You have the boat to MK which takes AGES, or the direct bus which takes 5 min. So what if it's a bus? It's efficient transportation.I'm not sure you're comparing apples to apples, Nat. The bus and boat rides from a duration standpoint are actually not all that different from WL to MK. I've timed them both and the boat takes about 3-4 minutes longer than the bus on average.

The issue I see, though, is how long you have to wait to actually get on either method of transport. Those boats are pretty reliable. It's almost always spot-on 20 minutes between boats, but with the busses? Oy! You can wait an hour before another one shows up!

On my last trip, I chose to take a boat from MK to the Poly one afternoon. I videotaped the trip. Took under 7 minutes. And, for what it's worth, I beat the resort monorail that pulled into the MK station a minute after the boat I was on left the dock. That monorail was stopped just outside the CR for at least 4 minutes while our boat chugged on towards the Poly. So, I say, it all evens out in the end, usually.Agree with you on this point. Again, I've timed it multiple times and the boat from MK to Poly almost always beats a comparable monorail. The GF it's a sure thing, since the GF is the first boat stop and the last monorail stop. I think the boat is up to twice as fast compared to the monorail going from MK to GF.

Mousemates
08-09-2011, 03:09 PM
Why tick people off for 3 hours that happens only once a week and ONLY during peak times. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

Exactly :yes:

BrerGnat
08-09-2011, 06:08 PM
I'm not sure you're comparing apples to apples, Nat. The bus and boat rides from a duration standpoint are actually not all that different from WL to MK. I've timed them both and the boat takes about 3-4 minutes longer than the bus on average.

The issue I see, though, is how long you have to wait to actually get on either method of transport. Those boats are pretty reliable. It's almost always spot-on 20 minutes between boats, but with the busses? Oy! You can wait an hour before another one shows up!

My point with that was, if they switch to bus transport from the MK to the MK "monorail" resorts, the trip will take NO time. I would guess that getting to the GF will take the longest, and if you're staying at CR, you will have to choose whether to just walk it or hop on a bus, which will get you there in about 2 minutes once it leaves the station. The comparison to WL was that it has the option of bus or boat. Bus is faster if it's already at the stop. Will be the same during EMH. Guests will have to gauge which would be the more efficient trip. If there are boats ready to go, the boats will be faster, likely. If there is a bus at the station and no boats, the bus will probably be the better option.