PDA

View Full Version : Discount Upgrade at Check-In ?

VWL Mom
07-31-2011, 11:07 AM
I'm taking my boys for a last minute trip in August. I wanted WL Club Level but none were available for AP discount. They are available for full price.

My question is, if they are still available at check-in has anyone been able to get the upgrade at a the AP or discount rate?

BrerGnat
07-31-2011, 11:40 AM
I tried that once and they would give me the upgrade at the difference in actual cost between what I paid and the current rack rate of CL. The difference was somewhere over $200/night. I declined.

gardenia
07-31-2011, 02:53 PM
You can't get an AP discount at the desk, ever. But you can pay cost (rack rate) for the upgrade. I did this once, asked to upgrade from standard to bunk-bed, and they charged me the difference between a rack-rate standard room and a rack-rate bunk bed room.

VWL Mom
07-31-2011, 06:07 PM
Thanks for the feed back, sounds like another case of "it depends on the CM at the desk". I think the difference from rack rate to rack upgrade is fair, but not thrilled with discount rate to rack upgrade which IMO isn't worth it.

CleveRocks
07-31-2011, 08:53 PM
Resort level staff, even managers, are not permitted (or able) to offer walk-up discounts. Any discounts must be made through the central reservations center.

[They CAN do things about price when they are making up for some sort of problem or mistake ... in Disney-speak this is called "guest recovery"]

waymickey
08-01-2011, 08:31 AM
Very confused:confused: A few times at check in I was given an upgrade from standard room to pool view or even Club level and I was not charged for the difference. Is this not the same thing as a walk up discount?

BrerGnat
08-01-2011, 09:12 AM
Very confused:confused: A few times at check in I was given an upgrade from standard room to pool view or even Club level and I was not charged for the difference. Is this not the same thing as a walk up discount?

No, this is done when Disney screwed up and overbooked a category and needs to move people around to accommodate everyone. Or, when a large group books at the last minute and needs a block of rooms in a specific category.

This happened to me on my last trip to Boardwalk Inn. I had booked a Standard room (at a hefty discount, by the way), and we were "magically upgraded" to Club Level upon arrival. We found out that it was because a convention booked the resort last minute, and booked standard rooms, so a bunch of lucky guests who had booked standard were bumped up to other categories where there were available rooms. About half the people on the Club Level that week were there due to the free upgrade.

When that happens, it's just the luck of the draw.

Polynesian Dweller
08-01-2011, 02:25 PM

In the hotel business, and part of my background is hotelier, they are not the same. A discount is a reduction of the rate of a room. So you have a garden view at $200 and the garden view is given to you for say $169. That's a discount. Rarely to never given at check in. Discounts are marketing tools to get additional room sales so are offered to entice people to come. There is little gain to the hotel to give them at check in so front desk staff rarely have authority to grant these.

The ones you mention are exactly that upgrades and are given for the operational needs of the facility. BrerGnat gives a good example of that. Room maintenance, staffing levels are also good reasons. Front desk staff are often allowed to grant these but only within the policies of the hotel.

Mousemates
08-01-2011, 02:34 PM
When that happens, it's just the luck of the draw.
We have enjoyed the "luck of the draw" as well...only ours was at the Beach Club.