PDA

View Full Version : What interesting things can I point out

Daisy'sMom
07-30-2011, 12:27 PM
for our family reunion when we are walking the parks? I knew if I came here to the experts, I would get lots of good things for family to see. Thanks:mickey:

Mousemates
07-30-2011, 12:37 PM
for newbies you can always point out the names on the store front windows of mainstreet, talk about "forced perspective" and how the 2nd and 3rd floors get progessively smaller and then there are all the hidden mickeys.

texas211
07-30-2011, 06:07 PM
I"d tell where rides use to be. Where Mr. Toad's use to be, and the tombstone in the HM queue line. The Crockett Keel boats that use to be in the water by Frontierland. The curse of the Lilo and Stitch ride area...... That its doomed to always have a horrible attraction in its area.

sixshot19
07-30-2011, 08:24 PM
Someone can get a hair cut on Main Street in MK.

texas211
07-30-2011, 09:24 PM
Don't forget the paint brushes on Tom Sawyer Island.

Tink#64
07-30-2011, 09:58 PM
In DHS, the area outside of Indiana Jones, there a rope that leads down a well & a sign says - DO NOT PULL ROPE! When you pull it, you hear voices! It's really neat!

Also in DHS, at Muppets attraction, door to your right as you enter the attraction with a sign that says something like - Gone Out - Key Under Mat, look under the mat - there's a key!

Do you have Hidden Mickey Book? We love to look for those! :mickey:

ransam
07-31-2011, 02:13 AM
Also in DHS at the muppet attraction. In side, there is a fishing net, full of jello cubes.....
a net full of jello
annette funechello.

yes it is intended.

MrPeetrie
07-31-2011, 07:01 AM
Main Street, U. S. A. is set up as though you are actually entering into a movie.

As you pass through the dark tunnel to enter Main Street, the "curtain" is being drawn. You will see posters on the walls of different rides. That's the preview of coming attractions.
As you look at the windows on the shops, you'll see different names. Many are clever "puns" but they are the credits for those who worked on the "production."
As you reach the end of Main Street, look up to your right (above the ice cream shop), you'll see the name Walt Disney. His name is last because he's the "director" of the production and the director's name is always the last credit. As you exit, his name is the first you'll see. And at the end of a movie, the director gets the first credit.

Main Street is sloped upward and the music is upbeat and the CMs are very energetic in the early part of the day. This is because in the morning, people are fresh and have energy. At the day's end, people get tired. Main Street is sloped downward, the music is quieter and the CMs are more subdued.

The crest above the castle is the Disney Family Crest.

14K gold leaf paint was used on the castle spires and on the golden carousel.

Main Street Bakery actually "pumps" it's baking smell out to Main Street.

The Magic Kingdom is actually the second floor of the complex.

Daisy'sMom
07-31-2011, 04:24 PM
I knew you would have the best! Thanks everyone
:mickey:

jenperich
07-31-2011, 06:48 PM
The curse of the Lilo and Stitch ride area...... That its doomed to always have a horrible attraction in its area.

Where was the Lilo and Stitch ride?? Are you talking about Stitch's Great Escape? Just curious!

wdwfansince75
07-31-2011, 06:49 PM
In the first scene of CoP, there is a young girl helping her mother by pumping the washing machine...She is never mentioned in the script, and does not appear in the following scenes.

As you ride TTA ("The People Mover"), notice that you pass a large diorama of Walt's original concept of EPCOT.

Bucs300
08-04-2011, 01:14 AM
A fun fact you can point out when you're at EPCOT is that Spaceship Earth is designed so that when it rains water won't pour off the sides of the sphere and land on the pathways underneath. There's channels that funnel the rain into the lagoon actually and thats how they help keep the level of the lagoon up. Hopefully it's not raining on you when you're there though and pointing that out to your family!! :rain:

Tinkerbella16
08-04-2011, 03:40 PM
You can also include to tell them that there is no trashcan more than 30 feet apart in the parks. When Walt was designing Disneyland, he visited other parks and counted how long a person would hold onto a piece of trash, before dropping it on the ground. :mickey:

There is a picture of Walt Disney hidden on the CoP. It is in the daughters room in the 1940's.. see if your family can spot it! :mickey:

Walt specifically designed the parks so that when you pass from land to land, you cannot see the others.. Even the pavements change to get you into that Lands mood as you walk from land to land. :mickey:

MrPeetrie
08-04-2011, 07:19 PM
Spaceship Earth is covered with a surface called Alucobond. It never needs cleaning or painting.

There is a section in France where the back of the buildings are "themed" despite being out of view of any Epcot guests. (It can, however, be seen from one of the resorts.) Of course, that might be hard to point out. They'll have to take your word for it.

texas211
08-04-2011, 08:38 PM
Where was the Lilo and Stitch ride?? Are you talking about Stitch's Great Escape? Just curious!

Yeah, can't stand it. Didn't like the previous rides in the same area. I feel the area would be better served if they took out the ride and put in another restroom. Or some more stroller parking. Another character greeting area?

disneymomma2010
08-04-2011, 10:10 PM
You can also include to tell them that there is no trashcan more than 30 feet apart in the parks. When Walt was designing Disneyland, he visited other parks and counted how long a person would hold onto a piece of trash, before dropping it on the ground. :mickey:

There is a picture of Walt Disney hidden on the CoP. It is in the daughters room in the 1940's.. see if your family can spot it! :mickey:

Walt specifically designed the parks so that when you pass from land to land, you cannot see the others.. Even the pavements change to get you into that Lands mood as you walk from land to land. :mickey:

What is the cop?

PopPhan
08-04-2011, 10:12 PM
If you are walking around World Showcase, there is a point that you can see part of The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror -- as you are approaching Morocco....This is the reason the tower is that particular color -- to blend in with the colors of the Morocco pavilion.

PopPhan
08-04-2011, 10:15 PM
What is the cop?

Carousel of Progress -- in Tomorrowland

Suz36
08-05-2011, 10:01 PM
Check out the shutters in Liberty Square. They aren't all straight. During the war, any available metal was used for ammunition, and the shutter hinges would have been replaced with leather, which would stretch over time. Also look at the house numbers on the buildings - put an 18 in front of them and they will tell you when that style of building would have been built.

lighteningqueen
08-05-2011, 10:55 PM
Stitch is an embarassment to the park if you ask me as well as Honey I shrunk the kids.We wasted so much time waiting on that scratchy outdated thing.. Plenty of things to do that are fun!!!

De Vine in AK look for her, she is amaZING!!!!

steamboat willy
08-06-2011, 09:33 AM
for our family reunion when we are walking the parks? I knew if I came here to the experts, I would get lots of good things for family to see. Thanks:mickey:

When you go to EPCOT on the World Showcase side in the United Kingdom, there are (3) RED phone booths. You can have a family member get inside for a photo opportunity and then have someone in the group call on their cell phone to the center phone booth. (Number to follow) Or better yet, call someone BACK HOME to call when your unsuspecting (MOM) is in the booth. Tell her to answer it!
The number is: 407-827-9863
The numbers to the other two booths are 9862 and 9861.
THANKS WHITEROSE....
Have the video camera ready!
Enjoy!

LVT
08-06-2011, 08:38 PM
1.I like De Vine in the AK. We seek her out on each trip.
2.PUSH the talking trash can in MK Tomorrowland
3. Upside down water fall and jumping waters of Epcot.
4. Club cool beverage tasting in EPCOT

phillydan
08-08-2011, 07:45 AM
Walk through the castle and you will see beatutiful mosaics depicting various princess scenes. They are absolutely stunning.

azcavalier
08-08-2011, 08:41 AM
Kodak actually helped develop the color of the roads/walkways (red) in the Magic Kingdom so that the color helps your photographs look better. Apparently, people are more photogenic with red.

If you look at the street lights on Main Street, they change from gas lamps at one end to electric at the far end to help simulate the idea of progress.

I love to point out the intricate themeing on rides...for example, in the Haunted Mansion, while the lights are obviously electric lights, the time frame that the mansion was built would have used gas/flame lamps. If you look at the light bulbs, *every single bulb* has a mantle pulled over it....just like a gas lantern would use.

You can always point out the brown "path" in the otherwise red pavement in Liberty Square. Since there was no indoor plumbing in those days, this path represents sewage in the streets. Kind of nasty, but also kind of cool that they'd bother with it. You could also point out that there are no actual public restrooms in Liberty Square for that same reason.

Big Thunder Mountain RR is actually themed after one of the national parks in Utah...can't remember which, though. Bryce, maybe? Canyonlands? The one in Disneyland is themed after a different national park in Utah.

Don't forget to mention that every night after closing, maintenance replaces all burned out bulbs and touches up the paint. You could also point out that despite all the candy sold at WDW, there is no gum for sale. Walt hated gum, and thought it was disgusting what people do with it. He didn't want gum under his park benches, tables, etc.

ryca1dreams
08-08-2011, 01:20 PM

That and the background music changes subtly with the transitions. In fact, I would point out the BGM everywhere and how it fits the mood or helps create one.

Daddy Mouse
08-08-2011, 02:08 PM
When you go to EPCOT on the World Showcase side in the United Kingdom, there are (3) RED phone booths. You can have a family member get inside for a photo opportunity and then have someone in the group call on their cell phone to the center phone booth. (Number to follow) Or better yet, call someone BACK HOME to call when your unsuspecting (MOM) is in the booth. Tell her to answer it!
The number is: 407-827-9863
The numbers to the other two booths are 9862 and 9861.
THANKS WHITEROSE....
Have the video camera ready!
Enjoy!

I'll have to remember that the next time we go. Thanks :mickey:

Jennifer_and_Chris
08-08-2011, 04:34 PM
Along the lines of music and roads changing from land to land, the lamp posts change, restroom signs, doors change.

Each trip, I pick a different thing to take as many pictures as I can find.

One year hats, one year lamps, one year bathroom signs, doors, etc....

In Adventure land around Aladdin's flying carpets, there are jewels and gold in the pavement. My girls (as gross as it sounds) always try to pick one up.

Also, the best part of pointing things out to Disney newbies is that you can point out the best things to eat! :cloud9:

Katzateer
08-08-2011, 05:23 PM
Love these comments:thumbsup:Learning and enjoying:D

Urbss
08-12-2011, 11:12 AM
I like the fountain behind Cinderella's Castle. If you look at Cinderella at the right angle, it looks like she is wearing a crown.

kurt
08-16-2011, 02:58 PM
there are 2 trains with consecutive numbers that makes them "twins". a rare occurrence. one of the windows on Main St. is for the M. T. Lott co. this was one of the dummy corp. that they used when buying land for Disney world(empty lot company)

disneykidsince1970
08-20-2011, 03:30 PM
Walk through the castle and you will see beatutiful mosaics depicting various princess scenes. They are absolutely stunning.

and... look closely at the faces of the wicked step-sisters. One of them is Green - as in "green with envy"!

This is a a great thread! I am also learning so much!

indytraveler
08-22-2011, 10:12 AM
The CM's who work at The Haunted Mansion are the only CM's who don't smile.

Try to be funny or say something funny to them for their reaction.

Mogie
08-24-2011, 09:18 AM
Oh there are tons of easter eggs and little secrets. You can do a google search for "Disney Secrets" or something similar, and you will come up with a bunch of sites with good info.

SignguyTom
08-24-2011, 10:07 AM
In the dining room scene in the Haunted Mansion, there is always a dinner setting arranged like a Mickey. This is not part of the Imagineers concept and it tends to change seating locations.