PDA

View Full Version : Charity donation of vacation items? Strange question.

Kairi_7378
07-27-2011, 09:47 PM
DH and I have decided that we don't want to bring DS2.5's stroller on the airplane for our September vacation. We are worried about it getting damaged on the plane after hearing several horror stories, and it was kind of expensive. We were purchasing a stroller at Target when we get to Tampa and then bringing it with us at Disney. We test drove a $20 model and think it will work for us, saving $$$ over a WDW rental stroller. However, rather than taking the stroller home, I was wondering if Disney had a place where we could drop off slightly used vacation items to be used by charity. I remember reading that they picked up spare clothes that were dropped off at the beginning of the marathon.

I know it's a bizarre question but I figure if anyone would have the answer, it would be someone on Intercot!

divinedi
07-29-2011, 10:02 PM
Don't know about the charity thing, but have read of several Intercotees that have given another family, that didn't bring a stroller and was probably going to rent one, the use of it for their vacation, with the condition that they pass it on to someone else who might need it when their vacation was over. I thought that was the greatest idea! My kids are all in their early 20's, so not something that I could do, but I think it would be a very nice gesture! Just an idea......

sixshot19
07-29-2011, 10:06 PM
Very good question, we are planning on doing the exact same thing....hopefully someone can help out.

brownie
07-30-2011, 09:00 AM
You could try contacting Give Kids the World. I don't know if they'll take it but it's worth asking.

BugeyedMuggy
07-30-2011, 02:53 PM
Perhaps go to your hotel lobby and see if you can find a family there or the front dest could help by offering it to a guest checking in. Maybe your generosity will cause a domino effect and others will follow suit.

Kairi_7378
09-11-2011, 12:04 AM
Just wanted to give an update on this question...

We purchased a $40 stroller at Wal Mart while we were visiting DH's relatives near Tampa. I contacted Give Kids the World and they said that they would be happy to take the stroller. They offered to take us on a tour of their Village when we were in WDW but we couldn't get it to fit into our schedule. So we made arrangements with CSR and they were able to pick it up there. The thank you that I got from GKTW was so gracious that I felt silly in donating such a small item to them. We will be remembering them when we do our charity donations at Christmastime.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
09-11-2011, 12:27 AM
GKTW is a wonderful organization. I had the privilege of staying there with my 8 year old nephew & his family in June. The care they take of their families is phenomenal. I'm sure every donation is greatly appreciated since that's how they are able to do the work they do. On behalf of my nephew, and others like him who get to experience this wonderful place, thank you!!

brownie
09-11-2011, 11:45 AM
Just wanted to give an update on this question...

We purchased a $40 stroller at Wal Mart while we were visiting DH's relatives near Tampa. I contacted Give Kids the World and they said that they would be happy to take the stroller. They offered to take us on a tour of their Village when we were in WDW but we couldn't get it to fit into our schedule. So we made arrangements with CSR and they were able to pick it up there. The thank you that I got from GKTW was so gracious that I felt silly in donating such a small item to them. We will be remembering them when we do our charity donations at Christmastime.

:thumbsup: