PDA

View Full Version : Tower of Terror question

DisneyMomx2
07-26-2011, 11:06 AM
Does Tower of Terror have big, long drops or is it a series of shorter one?

Thanks. :)

KylesMom
07-26-2011, 11:09 AM
The answer is both. You could get random drops which are short in duration, or a full drop from the open doors. We prefer the full drops. :D

PopPhan
07-26-2011, 11:09 AM
The only 'real' answer to this is "YES"....:D

The drops are random -- some small ones (1 - 5 "floors") others are big (more than 5 floors)

There are generally more short drops than large ones, in my experience that is....

Mfarquar
07-26-2011, 12:02 PM
As previous posters have stated - BOTH!

Tower of Terror, IMO, is the BEST freefall ride out there.

It always changes. I have been on this ride over 100 times since it opened back in 1994. The present ride system is completely random and there are tons of drop sequences that are chosen from for each ride. The elevator travels up and down the elevator shaft multiple times during your journey.

I usually find there is an average of 2 "big" drops per ride (8 stories or over) and 3 little drops (under 5 stories).

You never know what you're going to get, but be sure you'll have at least one BIG drop in there!

This is my favorite ride ANYWHERE!

DNS
07-26-2011, 12:11 PM
There are generally more short drops than large ones, in my experience that is....

Same here

2Epcot
07-26-2011, 12:26 PM
Tower of Terror, IMO, is the BEST freefall ride out there.

I agree, though technically not a freefall.

cer
07-26-2011, 12:40 PM
...though technically not a freefall.

Although I have never ridden, I believe I can quote 'Stacy' as saying it is "faster than the speed of gravity"....

DisneyMom12
07-26-2011, 02:08 PM
If you are trying to figure out if it is anything like Great Adventures Fee Fall, the answer is no!. The longest drop on TT is nothing compared to FF.

Mfarquar
07-26-2011, 03:22 PM
Wow! I never realized that DisneyMom12. I grew up going to Great Adventure (I'm a NJ girl) and I remember the entire ride height being 13 stories (maybe I'm remembering wrong)? I always felt Stuntman's Free Fall was a bit of a snore, except that whole end with lying on your back part.

I always felt ToT was a bigger, more dramatic fall, but maybe it was because of the dark. It's 17 stories, but I know the drop is not that high.

Now, the Big Shot on top of the Stratosphere in Las Vegas is a totally different story ;)

DisneyMom12
07-26-2011, 05:09 PM
Wow! I never realized that DisneyMom12. I grew up going to Great Adventure (I'm a NJ girl) and I remember the entire ride height being 13 stories (maybe I'm remembering wrong)? I always felt Stuntman's Free Fall was a bit of a snore, except that whole end with lying on your back part.

I did Free Fall once when I was a teenager, once. I was traumatize for most of the day, maybe I still am lol. I didn't find Tower of Terror nearly traumatic.

Mfarquar
07-26-2011, 11:40 PM
It was probably the story about the girl who was scalped because of her long hair flowing through the cage! I never found out if that was true or if it was just an urban legend...

I think that possibility always scared me more than the actual ride - I ALWAYS made sure my hair was in a pony tail and over my shoulder!

It was always told along with the haunted house fire at Great Adventure (which WAS true). I should probably look that up...

But, I bet if you rode it today, you wouldn't think it was too bad! They just fake you out with when you'll fall - the anticipation and getting to the top is MUCH longer than the actual ride.

DisneyMom12
07-27-2011, 08:06 AM
Ha ha I remember the story about the pony tail.
I would never ride it again. I don't think I would ever go back there again. I am a Theme park snob, and it does not hold a candle to Disney. :mjump:

RBrooksC
07-27-2011, 08:22 AM
Yeah, ToT is not a free fall and doesn't feel like a free fall. I have ridden many free fall rides and ToT. While I enjoy free fall rides, the sensation is completely different than in the ToT. The sense of control is there even though you feel "out of control."

I guess Disney got it correct in terms of the story of the ride,"Tower is in Control." While the elevator seems out of control, the ride is so smooth and so well done, that you never seem to be "free falling."

gottaluvtink
07-27-2011, 09:23 AM
Who cares??? :mickey: I love it no matter what sequence I end up with! One of my favorites, for sure.