PDA

View Full Version : Age/Dining Plan Question...?

darthmacho
07-25-2011, 06:06 PM
Okay, there is a thread about age and pricing going on in the Theme Parks forum, and it triggered a thought in my head related to the dining plan, pricing, and choices.

In 2010, we had the Dining Plan, and it was free. Our daughters were 6 and 9, so they would have paid the under 9 price and they picked from the children's menu while on the plan. The problem was the children's menu choices were terrible!

Next year, our daughters will be 8 and 11. The older one will be ordering from the adult menu, but the little one will be stuck with the lousy kid's menu.

My question is this: What if I paid the difference for my 8yo to order from the adult menu while on the plan? Would WDW permit this?
Sorry for the roundabout way of asking a simple question, but I thought it needed explanation.

Anyone in the know? :mickey:

DisneyMom12
07-25-2011, 06:12 PM
If they don't let you, could you try to pick places that don't have a kids menu I'm not sure how well that would work. I'm lucky if my kids eat :D

buzznwoodysmom
07-25-2011, 06:38 PM
I really doubt they would do this. I imagine it would be a headache to have to try explaining what you want to do every time you had a meal, and something your server would rather not have to deal with. I don't know if its "legal" to do this, but you could pay adult prices for your youngest's ticket and dining plan and she'd be able to order off the adult menu that way. Not sure if Disney would allow you to tweek your kids ages on the reservations. Also, not sure if its worth having to pay adult prices on both her tickets and dining plan.

You could always try booking mostly buffets and family style meals, then she can maybe have bites from the adult selections the rest of you get in addition to her child's meal at other locations.

Strmchsr
07-25-2011, 07:35 PM
Unfortunately, no, you can't switch up to the adult menu if you have kids credits. This is just one other reason why we've quit doing the DDP. That way the kids can order whatever they want and we end up sharing meals together.

DizneyRox
07-25-2011, 07:49 PM
Adult tickets gets the adult dining plan. Disney won't stop you from adding her to your reservation as an adult.

There is a huge price difference between the child and adult dining plans. And also on the tickets, and more so on the dining plan.

KAT1811
07-25-2011, 08:01 PM
Adult tickets gets the adult dining plan. Disney won't stop you from adding her to your reservation as an adult.

:ditto:

We did this when our oldest was 8 and 9. She has a sophisticated palate and never cared for traditional "children's food". So when we did get the dining plan we knew she would never eat off the children's menu so we paid the difference and upgraded her to the adult dining plan. The difference in price was worth it for us. Now I am not a fan of the dining plan and we don't get it any more.

Disney will do just about anything if you pay the price! ;)

darthmacho
07-26-2011, 12:39 PM

There is a huge price difference between the child and adult dining plans. And also on the tickets, and more so on the dining plan.

Yes, this was exactly what I was talking about. I'll have to consider my options if they allow it, and the money $$ too. I'll talk to my Magical Journeys rep when the time comes... :mickey:

cer
07-26-2011, 12:48 PM
We have done this before, but if they get adult dining in the package, they are treated as adult in all other areas as well, like tickets. (just like previous posters have said)

It was no big deal to do this (my son was 9 at the time) and it worked really well for us.

susie & perla's mom
07-26-2011, 04:25 PM
I don't see any problem paying full price for the tickets for kids 10+. But would it be nice if Disney give us an option to purchase either kid's or adult's dining plan? Some 6-9yr olds eat like an adult and some 10-16yr olds eat like a kid.

DizneyRox
07-26-2011, 07:29 PM
I don't see any problem paying full price for the tickets for kids 10+. But would it be nice if Disney give us an option to purchase either kid's or adult's dining plan? Some 6-9yr olds eat like an adult and some 10-16yr olds eat like a kid.
You take the good with the bad.

susie & perla's mom
07-26-2011, 08:05 PM
hahah! I should have said 10-40yrs old eat like a kid. It actually works out for us because my 8yr old eats like an adult and I eat like a kid:mickey:!