PDA

View Full Version : Taking a 2 year old, what rides can they ride.

disneyfamilyforever
07-25-2011, 02:03 PM
Hello,

This may already be somewhere but I am new here. I will be taking my 2 1/2 year old next year and was wondering if she can ride any rides at Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom? Where could I look this up?

Thanks

Fangorn
07-25-2011, 02:17 PM
Your daughter will be able to ride anything that doesn't have a height restiction. The list of rides with height restrictions can be found in InfoCentral or click here (http://www.intercot.com/infocentral/park/rideheight.asp).

Enjoy,

Steve

Goofy4TheWorld
07-25-2011, 02:28 PM
You may be veteran at taking young kids so this may be irrelevant to you, but....

It surprised the heck out of me how much my 2.5 year old was scared to death of the dark at Disney. As an adult I never realized how almost every kiddy ride at Disney was dark, and on top of that the music is VERY loud. Those two things combined to make for a very MISERABLE week learning the hard way how my DS was going to react to attraction after attraction. He was so scared of things that the only things he really liked were playgrounds, totally outside rides (teacups, carousel, etc), and for some small reason Small World (even though it is inside and dark).

My son was fearless in every way leading up to this trip and boy did I learn a hard lesson about how little ones can react so differently to things while at WDW.

Just think about it as you compile your list.

Goofy4TheWorld
07-25-2011, 02:53 PM
...and just for the fun of it, my DS's list was:

Magic Kingdom
(lists exclude Toontown attractions since they are now closed)

Good
its a small world (he loved it so much it is now MY favorite attraction :D)
Jungle Cruise
Magic Kingdom Train
Monorail
Boat to Wilderness Lodge
Aladdin
Dumbo
Fireworks
"horseys!"
teacups
every rock he spotted near sidewalks
Riverboat (just ok)

BAD
Lines, period
Mickey's Philharmagic
Pirates
Peter Pan (wouldn't even allow us to get in line)
Winnie The Pooh
Monster's Laugh Floor
Buzz Lightyear
Main Street Electrical Parade (I hated it too)
the bus

Animal Kingdom
(didn't do much here because of hard lessons already learned)

Good
Flame Tree Barbecue
Character greeting at Pooh area and Camp Minnie Mickey
Kilmanjaro Safaris (loved it after I FORCED him through the line against his will since the dense vegetation during parts of the que made it a little dark)
Pangani Forest Trail
Wildlife Express Train (just the train, not the conservation station)
The Boneyard
TriceraTop Spin

Bad
Conservation Station
Petting Zoo
Festival of Lion King

After typing this list I recalled how pleasantly surprised I was at how peaceful AK was. Our full day and our half-day at AK were the only times my wife and I were meltdown-free (adults or child) and I totally changed my outlook on AK after this trip. It is true there is more to do at MK, but the more-to-do the more-the-stress!

MrPeetrie
07-25-2011, 04:21 PM
We took our daughter to WDW at 17 mos. I was amazed at how much she enjoyed.

Magic Kingdom:
Pirates of the Caribbean
Jungle Cruise
Country Bears
Haunted Mansion (the next year, she was a little frightened of it.)
Peter Pan
IASW
Winnie the Pooh
Teacups
Indy Racers
TTA
Buzz Lightyear
Train

Didn't like:
Tiki room (too loud)
Snow White
Mickey's Philharmagic

Epcot
Liked:
El Rio del Tiempo
Spaceship Earth
Off Kilter (LOVED THEM!)

Didn't like:
Illuminations. (Hated it!!!! We were actually lakeside with fellow InterCotees, having a beautiful view and had to leave after the first two minutes. So disappointing.)

Disney-MGM (That's what is was back then )
Liked:
Playhouse Disney
Beauty and the Beast
Not much else

Didn't like:
Fantastic
Muppets
Little mermaid

Animal Kingdom
Liked:
Kilimanjaro Safaris
Triceratops Spin
Festival of the Lion King

Didn't like:
Tough to be a Bug
Goofy (at Donald's breakfastasaurus)

BrerSchultzy
07-25-2011, 04:28 PM
Our son was 2 1/2 last summer, and we had the best time with him (until this summer, of course). He LOVED every dark ride except for Haunted Mansion, and he especially loved the People Mover and It's A Small World (I second the previous statement saying he loved it so much it is now MY favorite ride too).

We also discovered a bit of a trick this past trip. First, you don't have to actually ride Winnie The Pooh to hang out in the playground area. This was a life-saver at around 8PM, when the lines were low, and our son played for an hour without us having to move.

Second, since only one parent can ride Buzz Lightyear with the child at a time, you can stack up the FPs...I would ride with him once, while my wife waited, then he got right back on with her and her FP when we got off. And loading up FPs early on in the day works great...If you get a FP for Peter Pan first thing, you can usually get a new FP by 9:50AM or so. Keep doing this while waiting in the short lines while they are low in the morning, and you'll be able to walk on to anything in Fantasyland for the rest of the day with your FPs (since the FPs don't really expire).

Oh, and if the Fireworks start at 10PM, make sure you're near Main Street or Tomorrowland, just in case they scare her. There are plenty of places to hide in there, but if you're in Fantasyland or Frontierland, you'll be out in the open. Our son loved them, but we were lucky in that regard.

texas211
07-25-2011, 10:22 PM
Lilo and Stitch, avoid like, well, Lilo and Stitch. First, its horrible. But i tried it, and had several smaller kids there,, they all freaked out even before the show started. They were scared by the shoulder braces that come down and pin you in place. Save the therapy bill, and by all means skip this one.

BigRedDad
07-26-2011, 08:05 AM
I took my DD2 and there is so much for them to do. Others have stated many rides and things to do. Each child is different and yours will dictate what you can and cannot do.

Things to be aware of...
1. Your child may be more interested in the bird on the rail at Dumbo and not want to get on until the bird flies away.

2. Your child may want to stand in front of the spitting statues in Adventureland for an hour. Kids tend to love to get wet, especially if it is warm out.

3. Your child may love seeing the animals up front at AK and take an hour just to get past that section to see the Tree of Life.

Enjoy the trip, do not rush your child, and do not try to force them to do something that scares him/her. My Dd would only go up to a character if she was held. On day 3, I was getting ready to pick her up and she bolted from me, ran past Minnie and jumped into Daisy's arms. You will learn alot about your child on the trip.

Peter Pan
07-26-2011, 08:21 AM
Every child is differnt, i would say stay away from Snow White...other than that its really how much your child enjoys. Our girls love everything, i know there are kids who cant stand the simplest of rides. If she can go on it and wants to let her...its all magic.