PDA

View Full Version : Fantasyland construction envy

Aurora
07-24-2011, 09:03 PM
I was looking at photos from our recent trip and other photos online of the new expansion area of Fantasyland at the MK, and I suddenly was envious of the people who are doing the building.

Can you imagine going to work, knowing you're actually, physically building something so beautiful and special and so much fun? Something that thousands, maybe millions of people will see and experience and have fond memories of? What a great construction job! I would love to hear what these people say to their families every day, And wouldn't you be a proud kid to be able to tell your friends: My dad/mom is building the new Fantasyland!

spoiledraf
07-25-2011, 04:38 AM
Yea, pouring concrete and lugging lumber and supplies and crawling through walls to run wiring 10 hours a day in 98 degree heat sounds like fun to me! Been there done that. Bet they would rather be on your side of the fence. Sorry to burst your bubble.

iceicebritney
07-25-2011, 08:02 AM
I'm with you Aurora! I would love to be able to say I was a part of building Beasts castle:mickey:

buzznwoodysmom
07-25-2011, 09:13 AM
With temps as high as they are in Florida during the summer I don't envy anyone with that kind of job. On a really hot day I always think of those who work long, hard hours in the heat. Particularly when I've spent the whole day working in my yard and am exhausted, I feel bad for those that do it every day. No evny here.

darthmacho
07-25-2011, 09:31 AM
While I wouldn't envy their working conditions, I understand what you mean when you say that you admire that they have such a fulfilling task in the creation of the new Fantasyland, which will bring such joy to so many people. I wish my job was as fulfilling. :mickey:

gottaluvtink
07-25-2011, 09:44 AM
Yea, pouring concrete and lugging lumber and supplies and crawling through walls to run wiring 10 hours a day in 98 degree heat sounds like fun to me! Been there done that. Bet they would rather be on your side of the fence. Sorry to burst your bubble.

Hee hee.....I was thinking the SAME thing. I'm sure to them, it's just like any job. They have to get out of bed everyday and go to work! No fun in that.

DisneyOtaku
07-25-2011, 09:45 AM
While I wouldn't envy their working conditions, I understand what you mean when you say that you admire that they have such a fulfilling task in the creation of the new Fantasyland, which will bring such joy to so many people. I wish my job was as fulfilling. :mickey:

This! The heat and hours? Not envy of that. But saying you helped build Disney magic? That's pretty amazing!

brivers222
07-25-2011, 10:09 AM
I have the best of both worlds... I work in a temperature controlled office, 73-degrees year round AND the money i pay to visit disney every other years affords them the ability to add to the magic.

So I stay cool and Add to the disney magic :)

Dulcee
07-25-2011, 12:56 PM
I envy the imagineers who get to design the plans and make the decisions, who walk out of their offices and say yes! exactly like we thought..

The laborers actually doing the heavy lifting, thanks but no thanks lol

Aurora
07-25-2011, 02:42 PM

Well, I worked in landscaping for awhile, lugging bags of dirt and manure and plants and crawling around on my hands and knees though mud. And if that was my job now, I'd be happier making something beautiful for Disney World.

Just saying if I worked in construction, I'd want to build something like this.

Bucs300
08-04-2011, 01:32 AM
I'm the general manager of a large crane company with branches all over florida, including one in Orlando. We've helped build many rides in all of the theme parks in Florida. Being a theme park nut like myself and having a job like that has always been really cool when it comes to the parks needing a crane. You usually get to find out about rides/projects before the public does because they have to show you the area and show you prints in order to determine what size crane they will need and all. Lots of times we have to come in late at night and build the crane when no one is in the park as well, so you get to see a lot of cool things when the park is closed, behind the scenes areas and all. I know this isnt a disney park ride but I built the crane that built the new roller coaster at Universal Studios, the Rip Ride and Rockit. We actually had to bring the crane in through the front gate of Universal around midnight when no one was around, took it right through the big arch at the main entrance. It was definitely a very cool experience!!

Daisy'sMom
08-04-2011, 02:32 PM
My dad was a construction worker and worked on the castle. I remember going to see him and Main Street was a dirt road and the castle looked anything but. :mickey:

Aurora
08-04-2011, 10:08 PM
My dad was a construction worker and worked on the castle. I remember going to see him and Main Street was a dirt road and the castle looked anything but. :mickey:

And now all these years later you have those memories! THAT'S what I'm talkin' about. So cool!! :mickey:

Aurora
08-04-2011, 10:11 PM
I'm the general manager of a large crane company with branches all over florida, including one in Orlando. We've helped build many rides in all of the theme parks in Florida. Being a theme park nut like myself and having a job like that has always been really cool when it comes to the parks needing a crane. You usually get to find out about rides/projects before the public does because they have to show you the area and show you prints in order to determine what size crane they will need and all. Lots of times we have to come in late at night and build the crane when no one is in the park as well, so you get to see a lot of cool things when the park is closed, behind the scenes areas and all. I know this isnt a disney park ride but I built the crane that built the new roller coaster at Universal Studios, the Rip Ride and Rockit. We actually had to bring the crane in through the front gate of Universal around midnight when no one was around, took it right through the big arch at the main entrance. It was definitely a very cool experience!!

OK now I'm showing how ignorant I am, but I didn't know you had to actually build the cranes. I thought they were just in pieces like the ladders on fire trucks. :blush:

Have you ever smuggled in a camera? I sure would be tempted.

Bucs300
08-04-2011, 10:34 PM
OK now I'm showing how ignorant I am, but I didn't know you had to actually build the cranes. I thought they were just in pieces like the ladders on fire trucks. :blush:

Have you ever smuggled in a camera? I sure would be tempted.

Well it depends on how big the crane is, the ones that drive down the road are similar to fire trucks yes, but the realy big ones we have to haul in on about 10 semi trailers and put it together piece by piece... some can take 12 hours or more to put together. So it becomes and all day/night process. No I've never tried to smuggle a camera in, even though I probably could. Most of the time no one from the park is present for the whole process, only the contractor who is renting the crane. :)

ransam
08-05-2011, 11:33 AM
i have a friend who is not a disney fan at all, but she was one of the architects for the store in Downtown disney in DL and WDW called Ride Makerz. she told me it was kind fun to think that she is making something that will be at a park so popular as Disney.