PDA

View Full Version : Two days in NYC

Kenny1113
07-24-2011, 02:47 PM
Help! DH and I are planning a quick last minute anniversay trip to NYC. I have been once before (about 11 years ago) he has never been. We definitely want to see a show and see the 'must do s ' will two days be enough for this? What are some of your "must do's". Any input is greatly appreciated. TIA

DisneyMom12
07-24-2011, 03:33 PM
I would defiantly do Central Park Zoo, Jekyll and Hyde, and Serendipity for frozen hot chocolate. Have a great time.

cather74
07-24-2011, 04:49 PM
If it's not too hot..a cruise from South street seaport. And of course a show.There is a haldfprice ticket booth in south street seaport that has no line compared to the time square one for shows that day. Do you want touristy restaurants or really good ones? What is your favorite cuisine?

hel5165
07-24-2011, 05:13 PM
I suggest you take the Big Apple Bus tour-- you can hop on and off to see what you're most interested in. There is probably a brochure online too. The driver points out all the interesting sights and gives a commentary. Manhattan is just too big to see everything in 2 days.

We've taken the hop on/off buses in other cities and it saves a lot of time and money. NY is very expensive. It would be most helpful to go online and print off a map also.

Kenny1113
07-25-2011, 08:16 AM
Thanks these are all really great suggestions!
@ Disneymom what is jekel and Hyde?
@ cather we definitely prefer good vs touristy :) love Japanese/sushi, Mediterranean, American, DH loves Mexican.

SBETigg
07-25-2011, 10:16 AM
Thanks these are all really great suggestions!
@ Disneymom what is jekel and Hyde?
@ cather we definitely prefer good vs touristy :) love Japanese/sushi, Mediterranean, American, DH loves Mexican.

If you prefer good food over touristy, do not go to Jekyll and Hyde. I've never been- it creeps me out walking by. It's a club/restaurant, sort of like the old Adventurer's Club but with a Jekyll and Hyde theme, and supposedly awful food. One would go for the atmosphere. But with so many restaurants in NY, I would choose for the food. I like Maison in Times Square (up around 51st) and Morrell in Rockefeller Center (both sidewalk cafe, French/American). Osteria al Doge is good Italian on W 44th. Alcala, good Spanish food near the UN. Lots of good Japanese. Red and Black on 52nd between 2nd and 3rd is fun, Japanese Barbecue. Also Shabu Shabu 70.

You want to really decide what you want to see in NY. Lots of things take time (like Central Park Zoo and boating- several hours each)and will limit what you can see. If you want to go to the top of the Empire State Building, buy tickets online in advance (will save you lots of wait time). If I have a short time in NY, I like to soak in the atmosphere, see a show, and just walk and stop when I feel like it into shops and restaurants. The suggested on-off bus tours is a good idea to get in more of a little of everything. Waiting in line at the TKTS booth doesn't always save you much and shows are limited, seats not always together. Sometimes you can get as good a deal by just showing up at the theater to see what they have on hand. I loved Wicked. The hot ticket right now seems to be the Book of Mormon. Not sure where you are staying but we loved the Muse for a romantic getaway, it's at 48th between 6th and 7th.

Tink#64
07-26-2011, 12:59 AM
Oh I am soaking all of this in! We're planning a trip to NY & Canada & I've been reading everything I can on NY! :read: Wow, it's alot to take in! So I appreciate all the feedback here! :mickey:

RBrooksC
07-26-2011, 11:30 AM
If you go any place to eat, I would suggest Junior's in Times Square.

It is a VERY New York restaurant. Mostly is serves Jewish Deli-type food. Their pastrami and corned beef are amazing.

And to end the meal, make sure you get yourself some cheesecake and an egg cream.

Every time we go into Manhattan, we eat there.

Also, I would suggest the Carnegie Deli in Midtown just south of Central Park.

This is just what it says, a deli. Sandwiches are $14 but you can split it for an extra $3. There are signed photos of celebrities who have eaten there. Also make sure you end your meal with cheesecake and an egg cream.

Also get over to Grand Central. It is more than a train terminal. There are plenty of shops and eateries there.

CanadianWDWFan
07-26-2011, 12:22 PM
We just got back from NYC just the other weekend. We always like to go to the Museum of Natural History. This trip we did the Empire State Building, Stage's Deli and walked all over Manhattan. We really wanted to try the Museum of Modern Art but ran out of time. There is always next trip.

In the past, we have taken the Duck tours, it is an amphibious bus tour around Manhattan then takes you out on the Hudson, and tried Jekyll and Hyde. I would recommend the Duck tour, but advise you to avoid Jekyll and Hyde. The food was horrible and the atmosphere was lousy. While I do enjoy that type of adventure in a restaurant, it really wasn't worth paying what we did for the meal.

Really there is SO much to do in NYC you will have to filter through everything and decide what is right for you.

cather74
07-27-2011, 08:18 AM
For sushi there is a place called Ninja Sushi. Great food ...awesome ambiance. That's downtown. I love Mexican. My favorite place is called Iguana up by the theatre district. On 54th. They have awesome guacomole made at the table and the best maragraitas in the world! Great when you go see a show.:marg::mickey:

alliekat
07-27-2011, 07:51 PM
Times square is really a great place to go.
A great place to eat Is Virgil's which is bbq food there prices are reasonable and the food is yummy!
Hope this helps I live in ny so i've been to nyc alot of times and there are alot of things to do in times square itself.
Hope that helps,
alliekat:mickey:

Kenny1113
07-29-2011, 04:51 PM
Thanks everyone! You have given me great ideas to start with. Can't wait for my trip! :)