PDA

View Full Version : New DCA entrance and GG Bridge

Disney4us2
07-24-2011, 02:11 PM
Now you see it... now you don't. Last Saturday the bridge was up. Yesterday it was gone with the exception of the part that hides the Monorail track. It looks so empty without the bridge. I will miss it. The entrance itself looks good. The gates for the wheelchair/ecv/strollers are a lot wider and easier to get through.

Mods... I have pics if you can post them for me. Thanks

BrerGnat
07-24-2011, 04:22 PM
Awww...I'll miss the bridge. It was such an icon.

Thanks for the update!

2Epcot
07-25-2011, 06:59 AM
It is kind of sad to see the bridge leave. Looking at the progress of the new entrance and Buena Vista street every week, I'm really excited about how much better walking into DCA will be when it's done.

Melanie
07-25-2011, 07:44 AM
I'll definitely miss the bridge! Anxious to see it all come together though.

BrerGnat
07-25-2011, 11:47 AM
Photos courtesy of Marci (Disney4us2):

Melanie
07-25-2011, 11:50 AM
Where is this again?

LOL - just kidding. Wow, looks so different.

MegaDisney
07-25-2011, 12:57 PM
I miss the bridge and I think the replacement they are gonna build is UGLY!

Here is a pic of the Glendale-Hyperion Bridge (http://tinyurl.com/44zq75p) which will be the replacement.

wildernesslady
07-25-2011, 08:40 PM
That entrance is so different from before. I will miss the letters. I have a great picture of my daughter in the letter "C". Her name is Carly.

tinkwest
07-26-2011, 01:57 AM

Here is a pic of the Glendale-Hyperion Bridge (http://tinyurl.com/44zq75p) which will be the replacement.

I guess I am looking at it from the perspective of someone who was born in Pasadena and lived in the LA area for the first 12 years of her life. It doesn't seem ugly to me at all. To me it is comfortingly familiar and feels like "home".

2Epcot
07-26-2011, 06:50 AM

The new bridge isn't supposed to be an icon like the Golden Gate bridge was before. The Carthay Circle Theater will take that role. As you look at the front of the park before the old bridge was removed, you can see that it would really compete with the theater being built. Of course the old bridge also doesn't fit the new Buena Vista Street Los Angeles theme that is being created.

frozman
07-26-2011, 05:15 PM
I think I'm kind of on the same boat as everyone here, excited to see whats done, but sad to see something I know and love be completely redone. I have vague memories of my early visits to Disney World. When I went back in 1997 I was so delighted to see so much just like I remembered it. I first visited Disneyland/California Adventure when I was 21, and I can't even begin to tell you how much I loved just walking into the park. The C A L I F O R N I A letters, the golden gate bridge, and best of all the California music. It will never be the same.

MegaDisney
07-27-2011, 12:03 AM
The new bridge isn't supposed to be an icon like the Golden Gate bridge was before. The Carthay Circle Theater will take that role. As you look at the front of the park before the old bridge was removed, you can see that it would really compete with the theater being built. Of course the old bridge also doesn't fit the new Buena Vista Street Los Angeles theme that is being created.

I understand all that, doesn't mean the new bridge isn't ugly...

MegaDisney
07-27-2011, 12:04 AM
I guess I am looking at it from the perspective of someone who was born in Pasadena and lived in the LA area for the first 12 years of her life. It doesn't seem ugly to me at all. To me it is comfortingly familiar and feels like "home".

I can see your point. I guess I am just gonna miss the Golden Gate!

2Epcot
07-27-2011, 06:55 AM
I can't even begin to tell you how much I loved just walking into the park. The C A L I F O R N I A letters, the golden gate bridge, and best of all the California music. It will never be the same.

The original entrance was sort of like an oversized postcard of CA. I think a lot of people did like it, especially those visiting CA. For many of the locals (which Disneyland has many more Annual Passholders than WDW) the park always seemed quickly thrown together. The new entrance leading into Buena Vista Street will seem much more like Main Street USA in Disneyland and less like Universal CityWalk. I think the change will give a better feel to DCA and help bring it closer to the quality of Disneyland.

Paradise Pier Pinocchio
07-27-2011, 03:59 PM
I like the changes thus far.
Wasn't a fan of the C A L I F O R N I A letters going away.
The vision of what they are going for makes sense.
I just want to be able to wear my rollerskates just once while they play Xanadu as I roll down the parade route!

:smickey:

wendybird
07-29-2011, 09:37 PM
This entrance looks familiar...isn't this the same as Disney's Hollywood Studios in Orlando??

sixshot19
07-29-2011, 10:08 PM
Did they get rid of the mosiac tiles at the front as well, I loved those.

frozman
07-29-2011, 10:11 PM
The original entrance was sort of like an oversized postcard of CA. I think a lot of people did like it, especially those visiting CA. For many of the locals (which Disneyland has many more Annual Passholders than WDW) the park always seemed quickly thrown together. The new entrance leading into Buena Vista Street will seem much more like Main Street USA in Disneyland and less like Universal CityWalk. I think the change will give a better feel to DCA and help bring it closer to the quality of Disneyland.

Yes, I can understand why they need to change it, but I live on the east coast and growing up had always wanted to go to California (the state), and my parents never took me. Then when I was 21 I earned some free airline tickets from a promotion Wendy's was doing, so I took my sister to Disneyland. I felt like the entrance to California Adventure was set up by someone to say "you have realized your dream, way to go"

MegaDisney
07-30-2011, 10:16 PM
Did they get rid of the mosiac tiles at the front as well, I loved those.

All gone...

MegaDisney
07-30-2011, 10:16 PM
This entrance looks familiar...isn't this the same as Disney's Hollywood Studios in Orlando??

YUP, nearly an exact copy...

sixshot19
07-31-2011, 01:28 AM
All gone...

Too bad they were awesome.

2Epcot
07-31-2011, 11:46 AM

While the entrances are similar, they are not exactly the same. On another site where any member can post photos, someone actually did a comparison of the two. The DCA version is actually much closer to the original Pan Pacific Auditorium which both entrances are based. Down to the same number of rings on the upper columns.

Also, while the Hollwyood Studio entrances has ticket windows, the DCA version is just a turnstile entrance.

disneydementia
10-13-2011, 11:47 AM
Please, please don't take the California themed music away!!!!!!! Love to start dancing as soon as I get in and humiliate my daughter.:blush:

2Epcot
10-13-2011, 12:10 PM
Please, please don't take the California themed music away!!!!!!! Love to start dancing as soon as I get in and humiliate my daughter.:blush:

I believe that will all change. Instead of the contemporary CA music, it will be more period specific to the early time when Walt arrived to California.