PDA

View Full Version : Have to vent...a little!

dizneydeb22
07-21-2011, 02:25 PM
I have been noticing quite a bit of hostility towards Disney as far as pricing and cost cutting. Yes, our family has felt it also...there is more time in between trips, but as we all know, the economy stinks. I think everyone is forgetting that although WDW is a Magical place, it is also a business. They are in business to make money. I don't know many family places that are enjoyed by all family members that: provide transportation to all points of the resort( albeit, slow), offer all levels of hotels so that more people can have an on property experience, and provide entainment not only in the parks, but at onsite hotels as well! And all that isn't even the tip of the iceberg! I am not foolish enough to believe that a huge profit is not being made, I know it is, but I'm still going to plan my trips and love it! Ok, I'm done...22 days and counting until my magical trip!:mickey:

Cara121078
07-21-2011, 02:31 PM
I agree! If my family of 6 went to the beach for a week, I KNOW that we would end up spending almost as much as we do at WDW, but I also know that we would not enjoy it nearly as much, so I am willing to pay a small premium for big fun.:mickey:

Ms. Mode
07-21-2011, 02:58 PM
I agree Cody!
Yes they make money, they also spend a lot...and hopefully one day I'll be retired and working there. :blush:

I love WDW, and it drives me crazy to see people downing it....just go somewhere else if there's no magic left for you here. Actually, a lady I go to church with says this, "If you went to Disney and didn't have a wonderful time; you're doing it wrong!" :mickey:

disneymom15
07-21-2011, 03:04 PM
I agree Cody!
Yes they make money, they also spend a lot...and hopefully one day I'll be retired and working there. :blush:

I love WDW, and it drives me crazy to see people downing it....just go somewhere else if there's no magic left for you here. Actually, a lady I go to church with says this, "If you went to Disney and didn't have a wonderful time; you're doing it wrong!" :mickey:

Well said. I totally agree.

ibelieveindisneymagic
07-21-2011, 03:05 PM
We still love Disney. It isn't much cheaper for us to go somewhere else (and we compare the cost of every vacation to Disney), and we usually have a better time at WDW.

That being said, there is something special about Disney, and I hope it doesn't get lost in the realities of running a themepark in tough times.

ransam
07-21-2011, 03:10 PM
Awesome! you said it perfectly.

tazlikesrobots
07-21-2011, 03:18 PM
Right on! From my point of view it is still cheaper to go to WDW than other destinations. What people tend to forget is all the value added services you get when you stay at WDW. There is a reason Disney is the gold standard when it comes to them parks.

MississippiDisneyFreak
07-21-2011, 04:00 PM
We have considered other places and I have priced some other vacations thinking I could take a smaller cheaper trip when I couldn't afford Disney and guess what, they weren't any cheaper when you consider accommodations, meals, transportation and entertainment.

Its still a good value for us...plus, its DisneyWorld!!!!

DisneyMom12
07-21-2011, 04:01 PM
I agree as well. Well said.

disneymom15
07-21-2011, 04:14 PM
We have considered other places and I have priced some other vacations thinking I could take a smaller cheaper trip when I couldn't afford Disney and guess what, they weren't any cheaper when you consider accommodations, meals, transportation and entertainment.

Back in the late 90's, we did a long weekend in Chicago (2 nights). We paid about the same amount as we did for 7 nights at a value resort. Not to mention, all the money spent on shopping, food and parking. Disney to me is still a great value!

TheVBs
07-21-2011, 04:37 PM
Well said! We totally agree. I do understand people wanting to vent, but raising prices is a reality everywhere. We go to Disney once every 2 years and take trips to other locations in between. We have a good time on almost all our trips, but we end up paying just as much to go somewhere else, and we certainly do not get as much bang for our buck as we do at WDW.

gerald72
07-21-2011, 09:44 PM
I agree with everyone. I am on vacation right now (not Disney) and it's costing me much more than it would at Disney.

Goofeygal
07-21-2011, 09:47 PM
we go about 3 times a year so I agree that it doesn't cost anymore maybe less then alot of other places.

texas211
07-21-2011, 10:03 PM
Besides, what does it matter what it costs. I'm not saying finances don't matter, they do. But, you want to do something like Disney, well, its going to cost. You want cheap, go to one of those carnivals in a mall parking lot ( we won't discuss maintenance issues).

Short of me having to take out a 2nd mortgage to go, price is worth it. You can find ways to save as the experts here mention, so, go, enjoy, limit the 13 dollar pins, and have fun.

Tink#64
07-21-2011, 10:17 PM

:ditto: We have spent just as much on beach vacations & half of that time is spent just lounging, which DH & I enjoy for awhile, DS's get bored way sooner! We're all used to our lively, fun packed, go, go, go, WDW vacations! Still a GREAT value for us! :thumbsup:

dizneydeb22
07-22-2011, 11:09 AM
Thanks everyone for the positive feedback! I thought I was going to get blasted!! :mickey:

Terra
07-22-2011, 11:40 AM
Add me to the list that agrees and we are a very very modest income earning family. We go when we can and I'm thankful for each time. And I realize in the end it IS a business. I also look at it this way. They hire/employ 30,000+ employees. Without WDW here in Central Florida that would be a lot of unemployed people! They bring business here! That's something to be thankful for!!

donnine
07-22-2011, 11:55 AM
:ditto: We have spent just as much on beach vacations & half of that time is spent just lounging, which DH & I enjoy for awhile, DS's get bored way sooner! We're all used to our lively, fun packed, go, go, go, WDW vacations! Still a GREAT value for us! :thumbsup:

I so AGREE with you all!!! Sometimes I think I SHOULD go somewhere else because people think we are crazy, but why spend almost as much and not be where you know you really want to be on vacation.:mickey:

scooterca42
07-22-2011, 12:22 PM
Even coming from Canada on the airlines that charge an astonishing amount of tax, we find that the value for money is exceptional. The consistency of the experience is what we appreciated when we do Disney.

It's always nice to get a deal - we always stay Value and take advantage of the free Dining (I know, I know, it's not 'free') when possible. We can do a fabulous holiday for a week for what works out to a very reasonable price.

mdricks
07-22-2011, 12:25 PM
I'm in charge of planning a 4 day weekend getaway for 4 adults to wdw every year. I keep detailed records and budget to the penny (I was only 1cent off on the 09 trip! :thumbsup:)

I don't see the oft maligned cost increases. Our room this year is the cheapst its ever been. I try to build in cost adjustments but outside of plane fare they don't seem to materialize.

I guess my point is you can spend as little or as much as you want to at wdw. If properly planned it is one the cheapest value destinations out there. My family of 4 spends more at the beach per day then 4 druken midlife crisis idiots at disney!

:number1:

JWB3
07-22-2011, 01:07 PM
I have to agree with everyone above: Disney is a great value. Yes, it can be expensive, but after a few trips – and with lots of help from the folks on these forums – you learn strategies for getting the most bang for your buck.

This past spring we spent a week on Sannibel Island, a really nice place with outstanding beaches, cute villages, shops , restaurants, etc. Our ocean front condo was far bigger than anything I could ever afford at WDW: full kitchen, 2 bedrooms, sun porch and sheltered parking, complete with all necessary beach toys. But even with savings on the food we prepared ourselves, overall cost was not much less than a week at a Disney moderate. Sure, we didn’t have to spend money on park tickets, but other activities like kayak tours, ferry boat trips, and park admissions added up. A one day boat rental would have been more expensive than one adult 7 day park hopper!

We also had to deal with the daily question of, “so what do you want to do today?” There’s just so much sitting around at a pool and beach I can do! At WDW that is never an issue since there’s always something to do, and everything is right there and, for the most part, included in your resort stay and park tickets.

So despite the costs during an off economy, I still feel that Disney’s a pretty fair deal all the way ‘round, and I’m already (106 days!) looking forward to our trip in November!

Terra
07-22-2011, 01:41 PM
Very true. And you can cut costs if you want. You can stop a local grocer and pack many of your own snacks, sandwiches, chips, drinks. You can stay at a budget HoJo off site for $25-50 a night. You don't have to stay at $200+ a night hotels. You can go in off seasons where prices are cheaper on site wise, and off site. A $100 rental car is cheaper for the week than spending $1000 plus on an onsite hotel.

Things like that. Now I realize though airfare is not cheap. And with gas, you can't always drive as cheaply either. But I'd make up for it by staying in those cheaper hotels, especially when you're not in your room that much anyway, but rather enjoying the WDW complex.

And I really agree that this site has great insight on how to save!! :)

disneymomma2010
07-22-2011, 01:41 PM
My husband and I just went away for the weekend to pigeon forge (tn). We didnt go to any themeparks, just ate, shopped a little and hung around the hotel. We spent $700 for just 2 days! I could take my family for a week to wdw in a value for just double that, especially if they have free dining!

Also my sil wanted to have a beach vacation at the same time we are going to disney and I showed her how much it would cost her family to go to disney and they decided to go with us! It was much more affordable than she thought and we can still afford to go to the beach for a few days afterwards.:thumbsup:

Terra
07-22-2011, 01:44 PM
My husband and I just went away for the weekend to pigeon forge (tn). We didnt go to any themeparks, just ate, shopped a little and hung around the hotel. We spent $700 for just 2 days! I could take my family for a week to wdw in a value for just double that, especially if they have free dining!

Also my sil wanted to have a beach vacation at the same time we are going to disney and I showed her how much it would cost her family to go to disney and they decided to go with us! It was much more affordable than she thought and we can still afford to go to the beach for a few days afterwards.:thumbsup:

That's awesome!:mickey:

squad51
07-22-2011, 03:42 PM
I actually want to know how Disney makes a profit at all. Look around at all of the employees who bring in no direct income. Dancers, cleaners, drivers, even talent contributes no income. Disney has all of these paid staff running around and they do not sell merchandice, offer food, or sell tickets. They (Disney) has so many staff working at any given time that I cannot fathom what there payroll is on a day in the summer. That being said, Do I want a trip to be cheaper? YES. Does it have to be for me to go? Never:mickey:

FutureCorpsFan
07-22-2011, 04:44 PM
I understand the reaction. Yes, Disney does offer value, but increasing prices while you are reducing costs is counter intuitive to helping families justify the trip to Disney in a bad economy.

Being in the financial services industry, I undersand Disney has a fiduciary responsibility to its shareholders. However, families and attendance fuel the parks and resorts division of Disney and increasing prices is a risky strategy in this economy. They are still making money, but with less sensitivity to what's going on outside the theme park. Read their earning report and you'll see. They are really not hurting enough to justify the recent raise in ticket prices.

http://dolimg.com/investorrelations/webcasts/q2-earnings-2011_kdaijbjdkl2.pdf

MississippiDisneyFreak
07-22-2011, 05:28 PM

Pigeon Forge was actually the last non disney vacation I priced out...accommodations were reasonable but then when I researched area restaurants and attractions and figured those prices in it wasn't so cheap anymore...you actually get a lot for the cost of a disney park ticket....plus you can go on just about any budget...
You can stay in the parks...any three resort level with or without dining plan or with or without villas with kitchens or you can stay offsite in a condo with a kitchen or on the cheap at a Motel 6 type and eat dollar menu fast food and take sandwiches into the park....that's the great thing about it.

IloveDisney71
07-22-2011, 09:31 PM
I agree. It's not cheap but it's clean, they provide transportation, they have mulitple shows, fireworks, parades, etc. Oh, and don't forget all of the rides & other attractions. :D You get what you pay for and that's why I continue you to back time after time.

johnO
07-22-2011, 09:35 PM
Yes its expensive, but it's still a great vacation and unlike any other.

lighteningqueen
07-22-2011, 10:37 PM
We are staying 7 nights in Dec at pop and it was 720.00 for the room. No not cheap but I dont have to pay gas to tote us around. I do have to drive down 2 days up and 2 days back.Plus 2 extra hotel nights. This is where our cost come in. BUT flights are to dang high this year and you have to have a credit card with something on it to get tickets so we will drive. I do have to say for us if we do not get free dining we probably will not get to go or either we will eat only one meal CS per day.Yes we will be hungry but we are just happy to get to go.

UCJen
07-23-2011, 12:13 AM
I understand the reaction. Yes, Disney does offer value, but increasing prices while you are reducing costs is counter intuitive to helping families justify the trip to Disney in a bad economy.

Being in the financial services industry, I undersand Disney has a fiduciary responsibility to its shareholders. However, families and attendance fuel the parks and resorts division of Disney and increasing prices is a risky strategy in this economy. They are still making money, but with less sensitivity to what's going on outside the theme park. Read their earning report and you'll see. They are really not hurting enough to justify the recent raise in ticket prices.

http://dolimg.com/investorrelations/webcasts/q2-earnings-2011_kdaijbjdkl2.pdf

I think it's very telling that people have chosen to ignore your post.

I don't have a problem with paying a premium for a top shelf experience, but I am finding the standards are slipping.

I don't feel like I am visiting the parks that were once the gold standard in the theme park experience. But the suits in Orlando have to be able to keep making the mortgage in their McMansions, right? What happened to WoL in Epcot? Why were the toilets filthy in Morocco when I visited? Why are there fewer EMH this year? Why aren't all of the rides' AAs fully functional?

I know people think WDW is the sine qua non in holiday destinations, but there's an entire globe of cultures, languages, and cuisines waiting for you to explore. No, it's not a tightly, socially engineered experience like WDW, but that's the beauty of it. Take a chance, go off the beaten path--who knows what you may find.

Don't get me wrong, I love WDW, but I think too many people don't realize who Disney takes WDW for granted.

And honestly, why should I worry about how Disney is doing as a business? Am I supposed to be corporate social worker? Am I supposed to worry how they pay their utility bill as I walk around the parks? As a consumer, I am worried my experiences. I could give a rat's tail about the upper echelons in Orlando. I'm sure they are not worried about me! :mickey:

WDWgoofy
07-23-2011, 02:10 AM
Good to see all are not blinded by their Disney fanaticism.

I will not argue that Disney doesn't offer a good vacation value.

What I believe is that Disney is raising prices at a fast pace while at the same time lowering the quality of its product. Consequently a WDW vacation does not offer the same value it once did.

Today, I am have a difficult time deciding to take a WDW vacation.

VWL Mom
07-23-2011, 09:09 AM
I don't see the oft maligned cost increases. Our room this year is the cheapst its ever been.
:number1:

When WL opened in 1994 our woods view room was $199 plus tax. Last month we decided to go spur of the moment for August I checked the room only specials and got $219 plus tax. Not bad at all. So IMHO the specials are out there, you just have to look for them and forget about jumping on something that says "free".

seanyred
07-23-2011, 03:42 PM
My only response is this :

Is it expensive? Yes
Do they raise prices too rapidly? Yes
Is the Disney experience still better than most other theme parks? Yes (have you been to a six flags lately)

Also one more point. I have a family member who would take their kids to WDW every summer. This past year they decided to take them to the Wisconsin Dells. They ended up spending more money at the Dells. That includes food, transportation and tickets.

The Dells are fun but if I can spend the same money for either trip, I'm picking Disney.

texas211
07-23-2011, 05:56 PM
My only response is this :

Is it expensive? Yes
Do they raise prices too rapidly? Yes
Is the Disney experience still better than most other theme parks? Yes (have you been to a six flags lately)

Also one more point. I have a family member who would take their kids to WDW every summer. This past year they decided to take them to the Wisconsin Dells. They ended up spending more money at the Dells. That includes food, transportation and tickets.

The Dells are fun but if I can spend the same money for either trip, I'm picking Disney.

Hmm. Orlando Florida or Central Wisconsin. Tough call. :)

Tougher call, Disneyland or Disney World. Not really. Still take Orlando.

mechanic
07-24-2011, 12:07 AM
outside of ticket prices, i had the idea that a lot of cs food prices have come down or stayed flat. also per day ticket prices are very reasonable on a 5 or 6 day ticket.
we just got back and maintenance looks to be upgraded from last year. everything was clean and fresh.
we like cruise vacations too, but disney is still our favorite place to go. if you have to complain about the cost. ... stay home. or better yet do some planning and use some of the cost cutting ideas posted in these forums.

DisneyFr33k
07-24-2011, 07:22 AM
Funny previous posters mention comparing beach vacations. We booked a month ago an ocean front beach house for next week for a fourth the cost of a WDW vacation. I think the beach rental companies are feeling the economy too.

Just to let you know, I love Disney and plan to keep returning again and again as I am a true addict. However, as a PP mentioned, some of their standards have slipped as their prices increase. That is what gets people :mad:.

MrPeetrie
07-24-2011, 08:57 AM
I SO agree with everyone that WDW is worth the price.

A few years ago, we tried to "save money" and take a driving vacation to Busch Gardens, Virginia instead of flying to WDW. Big mistake. Yes, the park tickets were cheaper. And yes, we didn't need airline tickets. But that's where the savings stopped.

First, while the park is beautiful (on par with Disney), it's built on a mountain. It seemed like all I did was push a stroller up and down hills. And I'm not talking about small grades. I'm talking about some steep grades. After two days, I was exhausted. We actually skipped going back to areas because we didn't want to navigate the incline again.

Food prices were ridiculously high. And the selection was not nearly as diverse as at Disney. I mean RIDICULOUSLY high. Also, since there are no real table-service restaurants in the park, we always went out to dinner each night. Again, more expensive. Also, we were eating with a lot of "locals" who really didn't seem to enjoy the vacationing crowd.

Clothing apparel was not nearly of the same quality, yet over-priced. Same with the other souvenirs.

Shows were average to less-than-average. And there were only two. (One stunk, actually. We made fun of it all the drive home.)

And the big thing was there was very little for my 5YO to do there. She could only ride a handful of rides. (She's on the smallish side to begin with.) Here's an interesting story: my daughter got measured the first day and received a band on her wrist to designate which rides she could ride. I was amazed she could ride The Big, Bad, Wolf.. It seemed too intense for someone as small as her. The next day, she got measures again for her wrist band and she wasn't even close enough for the band she wore the previous day. She shouldn't have been able to ride that coaster.

We stayed off property and drove back and forth each day. All the while I kept saying to myself, "I'd rather be in Disney!"

When we returned, my wife asked "How much did we save?" Not much. "Then let's not do this again."

My DD doesn't want to return, either. We'd rather be on property, engulfed in the Disney atmosphere. Saving money can't buy that.

texas211
07-24-2011, 09:19 AM
We've tried something similar. Its hard to get that Disney fix, or to get a substitute.

DisneyFr33k
07-24-2011, 10:13 AM
Its hard to get that Disney fix, or to get a substitute.

:ditto::exactly: I need a drug for withdrawal....... :ill: