PDA

View Full Version : Disney College Program

Dedivah
07-18-2011, 11:30 AM
My son will be starting his senior in High School this fall. We are in the process of filling out financial aid information, researching scholarships and choosing colleges that sort of stuff. We wanted to get a jump start on this so we are not in a rush to meet deadlines.

I learned about the WDW College Program here and I am a Disney Nut so I'm very interested in it for him. He will be studying Veterinary Science and I'm thinking Disney may just be the place for him.

How does it work?
What are the requirements?
Does he have to be already enrolled in a College/University to be eligible? If so, for how long?

Any help you can give me is greatly appreciated.

Mfarquar
07-18-2011, 12:18 PM
I have known a few people who have gone through this program. People seem to love it or hate it. I think it really depends on where you are placed.

Disney decides where you will work. For example, I knew someone who was a Biology Major, whose job it was to sell popcorn on Main Street (they rotated her to other locations as well). I knew a Communication Major whose job was to work behind the scenes at Splash Mountain. I knew a Math Major (Honors) who got a landscaping position at the Wide World of Sports. I've known people who just work behind the scenes in food service the entire internship. However, I've known theater majors that have performed in shows and also got to be Pinocchio! Some people get fantastic jobs that really pertain to what they are interested in or help them gain skills they can use in the future. Others work in the gift shop, if you get my drift. It's all up to Disney and they make all the decisions based on what they feel you can do and how you fit in with the positions they need to fill.

I work at a University and our Career Services Dept. has cut ties with Disney because the student and Career Services representatives have no say or pull as to what type of position students will receive. Too many bright students ended up with internships that did not help them along their career path. Students at my University can pursue Disney on their own, but credits will only count if they secure a position that meets the criteria of their Major's internship requirements and is approved by the chair of the department.

However, I have heard the housing and transportation options are great.

I am not sure of the exact requirements, but to my knowledge, you must be enrolled in a higher education institution - not sure what credit requirements are present, if any. It will also have to work with the credit requirements of the student's major/minor so that they can graduate on time.

So, from I've heard, it can be PHENOMENAL experience or basically like working at Burger King for the semester.

Strmchsr
07-18-2011, 12:25 PM
You've been given some good info above, but click here (https://www.wdwcollegeprogram.com/sap/its/mimes/zh_wdwcp/index.html) for the official site which should be able to answer all of your questions. It's a fantastic program.

Dedivah
07-18-2011, 12:59 PM
Thank you!!

iceicebritney
07-19-2011, 08:21 PM
I'm interested in a professional internship (I'm in grad school) within disney world corporate, such as public or government affairs. Does anyone have any experience with this? I've explored the college program and corporate websites and honestly they haven't been much help. I'm hoping someone out there in Intercotland can offer up some advice:mickey: