PDA

View Full Version : Times Square Disney Store

RBrooksC
07-18-2011, 09:07 AM
I was there for the second time over the weekend. I can again say, that it is just a glorified mall store.

The old World of Disney store in Manhattan had the feel of being in Downtown Disney. You felt like it was something more than just a "Disney Store."

This place felt like just that... a Disney Store.

While I am not going to go so far as to say it is a bad place to go and we will go there when we are in Times Square, it is a rather large downgrade from what was once in NYC.

ChipDale2708
07-18-2011, 12:37 PM
I totally agree. We were there for the first time last week and were very disappointed in the store. The old 5th Ave store was like a mini-vacation. I really hoped there would be more park merchandise so I could get a pick-me-up, or more adult merchandise - I saw very little. Guess I'll have to plan another trip to WDW soon!

AgentC
07-18-2011, 12:43 PM
I was in Times Square about 3 weeks ago for a conference. I went to the Disney store hoping to bring something cool home for the kids and there was nothing special at all except a couple of NYC themed items.

I ended up going to the Hershey's store for souvenirs . :D

Adambomb85
07-18-2011, 12:45 PM
I agree 100%! I live in Westchester County and am in NYC quite often. I was so excited to check it out and what a huge disappointment. There is nothing unique or special; it's all Cars and Princesses - a major let down. . The old World of Disney used to have a nice art/collectible section, home section, etc etc. It was really special and I'd usually leave buying at least one thing each visit. I feel like they really oversold this new store and completely failed to deliver.

Bring back the old store on 5th!!!

lindique
07-18-2011, 06:18 PM
I concur completely with the above. I was so disappointed when I went to this store.

tinksmom02
07-19-2011, 10:29 PM
I agree with everyone else. We were there in June and I couldn't help being disappointed. The old store had the artwork, and character meet and greets, it was really an experience in and of itself. The new store isn't that much different from the Disney store in my mall. Although, DD is always super impressed with 2-floor stores LOL

texas211
07-21-2011, 10:18 PM
Those are the same types of things I miss at the WDW stores, especially the resort themed stuff.

SBETigg
07-21-2011, 10:37 PM
I've been to NYC many times since it opened and I haven't even been compelled to go there yet from all the reviews I've heard. I always went to the 5th Ave store. What a shame.

DVC2004
07-22-2011, 11:02 AM
Agree. Was there in January and really not worth a visit.

Mickey'sGirl
07-22-2011, 11:16 AM
We were there last weekend, and were definitely UNDERwhelmed. Nothing spectacular other than the high ceilings!

DizneyRox
07-22-2011, 12:14 PM
It probably shouldn't come as a surprise... It actually IS a Disney Store, not a World of Disney.

The 5th Ave store was a World of Disney, big difference, as you can see...