PDA

View Full Version : Social Security/Disability

Disney4us2
07-15-2011, 09:49 PM
I heard on the news that they may cancel the August payments for Social Security/Disability.

I can't believe how many .... billions of citizens rely on those payments as their only income. Myself and father included.

Do you really think that could happen? My father doesn't think it will happen and if it does that the country will fall apart.

Can the government get their act together????:mad::ill:

Magic Smiles
07-15-2011, 10:36 PM
I don't live in the States, but how could they possibly do that? As previously mentioned many people rely on those payments.

brivers222
07-15-2011, 11:21 PM
Can it happen... surely it can

will it happen... i would be SHOCKED if it actually did.

What makes me so angry is that NONE of those making the decisions effecting millions of struggling americans are going to have any loss of sleep (or money) because of this.

its absolutely ridiculous

as a friend said, "Instead of threatening to withhold Social Security payments of people who really need the money....Lets hold the paycheck's of all house & senate members, then see how fast it is resolved!!!!!"

my reply, "Silly American, that would be inconvenient for the politicians... They have 4 mortgages to pay for... you only have one! Not to mention I highly doubt your Yacht payments are as high as theirs. They need their paychecks more than you!"

Total insanity.

I hope they don't skip payments.

UCJen
07-16-2011, 12:25 AM
This is my area of expertise.

I promise you. There are too many Americans (who are very vocal) and those who are advocates for them who will not allow this happen.

Older Adults will not be compromised!

DizneyRox
07-16-2011, 06:38 AM
Posturing... Meant to do exactly what it's doing to you... When all said and done, someone comes out looking like a hero and gets (re-)elected.

Terra
07-16-2011, 08:47 AM
This is my area of expertise.

I promise you. There are too many Americans (who are very vocal) and those who are advocates for them who will not allow this happen.

Older Adults will not be compromised!

This is good to hear! :) My dad is among them! Plus disabled after a very bad fall that left him paralyzed all except for one arm :( It's his sole source of support.

Imalismom
07-16-2011, 09:08 AM
I am one who gets a disabilty check every month from the VA. I have seen this before. I look at it as a "carrot" being held over certain people - a do what I want or else...

It has never come to pass before, and I don't think it will happen this time.....

DVC2004
07-16-2011, 11:54 AM
Well, according to what has been said in the past social security was supposed to be a "lock box". So I doubt it will happen, I think it's a statement being put out there to scare and rile people into contacting their senators.

Can it happen? Yes. Will it happen? Probably not.

Dulcee
07-16-2011, 02:56 PM
I agree with above.

Tell Congress to go without paychecks until they get their act together.

MarkC
07-16-2011, 05:01 PM
Agree this is all posturing and has no basis in reality. Unfortunately many people, including several on this board, believe it can happen. They won't let it happen.

A sobering thought for all of us-- hopefully we realize that for every dime we spend more than we take in, we are basically stealing from our kids and grandkids. No one seems to be upset about that. We're all just worried about our own skin. That's what really bothers me.

Ian
07-16-2011, 06:35 PM
I can't believe how many .... billions of citizens rely on those payments as their only income. Myself and father included.I don't mean to be picky, but there are only about 310 million citizens in the United States.

There are actually about 60,000,000 people in the U.S. on Social Security of one kind or another.

Hammer
07-16-2011, 07:26 PM
I don't mean to be picky, but there are only about 310 million citizens in the United States.

There are actually about 60,000,000 people in the U.S. on Social Security of one kind or another.

60 million is still a pretty big number! Let's not forget the military won't be paid, either.

My mother, who is retired and collects Social Security, is not in danger. That is because my parents originally devised their budgets based off their social security checks and my Mom's pension. Now my Mom just get my Dad's check (his check was bigger) and her pension. She can access her 401k or my father's 401k money, which is not used for day to day living expenses. Many seniors aren't as fortunate and rely on Social Security to survive.

micky95
07-20-2011, 05:05 PM
[QUOTE=Disney4us2;2188985]

I can't believe how many .... billions of citizens rely on those payments as their only income. Myself and father included.

probably was counting the illegal aliens getting it, who have never put one cent into it.now before you go bashing me ,my ancestors came from england back in the 1700's before this was the USA .most of us are descendants of immigrants .my great ,great ,great great grandfather is buried in a little cemetary 5 miles from where i grew up.now im not against some one coming here to better themselves but learn the language and contibute before you expect to get something. by the time i can get ss(in 12 years) im sure it will be gone because our leaders have no problem giving it to those who dont deserve it.

Carol
07-22-2011, 06:17 AM
MODERATOR REMINDER:

Please remember INTERCOT is not the place for political discussions. If this thread veers that way - it will be closed.

Thanks. :)

Altair
07-22-2011, 06:28 AM
[QUOTE=Disney4us2;2188985]

probably was counting the illegal aliens getting it, who have never put one cent into it.

Unless they are paid cash, Social Security is deducted from their paychecks and they cannot receive benefits. So, in fact, they are helping to keep the system afloat.

micky95
07-22-2011, 07:20 AM
MODERATOR REMINDER:

Please remember INTERCOT is not the place for political discussions. If this thread veers that way - it will be closed.

Thanks. :)

Sorry:blush:i broke my own rule of never discussing politics or religion. ill show my frustation at the polls come election time again

diz_girl
07-22-2011, 02:19 PM
A sobering thought for all of us-- hopefully we realize that for every dime we spend more than we take in, we are basically stealing from our kids and grandkids. No one seems to be upset about that. We're all just worried about our own skin. That's what really bothers me.

Well said. When placing blame, most people like to point the fingers at others when many should be pointing towards themselves.

dnickels
07-22-2011, 10:01 PM
Odds are they'll come to some sort of deal before they skip out on SS payments, those folks don't want to upset too many voters.

I crushed my back about ten years ago and my legs have been paralyzed ever since so I qualified for SS Disability. After about a year I decided that if I couldn't use my body I could still use my brain to make a living so I went back to school and found work work given my condition. Best decision I ever made. I don't receive the SS any more, but even on the days when my back hurts from the rods in it I don't have to worry about what happens when Washington finally learns how to do math.

Has this thread made anyone else all :confused: :confused: :confused: about something? PM me if you want to know what I mean.

Disney4us2
07-25-2011, 03:33 AM
There was a quote with my name in Altair's post. Please read my original post. There is no mention of illegal aliens in my post. Just want to set the record straight. Somehow I was miss quoted.

Altair
07-25-2011, 05:45 AM
There was a quote with my name in Altair's post.

The quote should have been from Micky95, sorry.

DizneyRox
08-01-2011, 07:44 AM
Without legislation in place by Tuesday, the Treasury would not be able to pay all its bills, raising the threat of a default that administration officials say could inflict catastrophic damage on the economy.
Wow, and that was close...

As I said, showboating...

Now we just wait and see who comes out the hero...

PopPhan
08-01-2011, 08:25 AM
Wow, and that was close...

As I said, showboating...

Now we just wait and see who comes out the hero...

Just because the heads of the parties have agreed doesn't mean that the votes are there for passage.....There are enough fools out there that just want to make a point -- at our expense!! (Personally, I think it will squeak through, but if not, the President should put through an Executive Order invoking the 14th Amendment to the Constitution and raise the Ceiling.)

Not trying to be political, just my opinion. :D

Goofy4TheWorld
08-01-2011, 08:33 AM
...but if not, the President should put through an Executive Order invoking the 14th Amendment to the Constitution and raise the Ceiling.)

I have been really surprised the Obama hasn't at least dangled this carrot out as a negotiating tactic. It seems at least plausible that the Amendment grants him some authority to act without the blessing of Congress. I guess he just wants to avoid the inevitable Impeachment that would result from such an action.