PDA

View Full Version : HELP!!: Where should I begin shopping for a DVC??

mommy2maddi
07-14-2011, 01:10 PM
Dear husband and I decided that when I was done with school (I'm a nurse) we would seriously talk about DVC. I love Disney and plan to take most of our future vacations there. Where did you purchase your DVC? Right on their website, or did you go through another company who does resale? Not sure where to start. Thanks!:mickey:

DizneyRox
07-14-2011, 01:36 PM
Timeshare Store...

It would be nice to help someone who isn't satisfied or otherwise wants to get rid of their contract. Remember it's like shopping for a house, the asking price isn't necessarily the sale price. You can really get a deal... I dont' think Disney is going to pull the ROFR out on anything within reason, they have a large inventory of points just sitting around collecting dust IMHO. The last thing they need is more points to get rid of.

disneymom15
07-14-2011, 01:53 PM
We took the DVC tour on our last trip. We purchased on the spot.

TheDuckRocks
07-14-2011, 03:29 PM
We dealt directly with a DVC representive and received a few perks that really made the actual sales price very competitive with some of the other sources.

Dyanna
07-14-2011, 03:43 PM
Sent you a PM :-)

gardenia
07-14-2011, 07:00 PM
Start right now by subscribing to the Timeshare Store's emails, so you can get an idea of the resale market. Then, take the official DVC tour when you are at WDW in 2012. Easy to sign up for, the DVC kiosks are everywhere and they handle the transportation for you. They do NOT pressure you to buy, but they WILL offer incentives. And you get a lot of REALLY valuable information. I would not recommend anyone buying (resale or through Disney) without doing the official tour. We took it a step further and stayed at several DVC resorts before we took the tour. It's like any other big investment, be sure you know what you're getting for your money!

PETE FROM NYC
07-14-2011, 07:48 PM
In 2009, DW and I were staying at Pop, when she struck up a conversation with the guy at the lobby DVC booth. She told him that this was about trip #12 for us. He said that if we had joined DVC years earlier, the whole thing would have been paid off by then.
Well, to make a long story a bit shorter, we took the presentation tour. It took about 2-3 hours. Everything was explained in detail. The agent, Nick Cotton, was very friendly, informative and definitely not pushy.
We did it!!!
We bought 130 points at Bay Lake Tower.
A year later we did our first DVC vacation and I would recommend it to anybody.
We just added on another 50 points, so now we can do almost 2 weeks every other year in a 1 BR.

Donald_Quackers
07-16-2011, 09:19 AM
I bought at the Doorway to Dreams in Schaumburg, IL. If you happen to be nearby (or even passing by), it's in the Woodfield shopping center.

They have models of Bay Lake Tower there, and a small model of the Aulani resort in Hawaii (I'm looking to eventually go there).

NH Disneyfan
08-08-2011, 10:30 PM
I bought a resale from The Timeshare Store. We bought 220 points and are going on our second DVC trip next week. The first was 9 nights, one where we booked 4 rooms for us and family. This time we're spending 10 days at Beach Club in a 1BR. Long trips in comfortable accomodations are now the norm and it is great for our family.

I agree with prior posting, buying resale can get you a deal - certainly, but fees are the real expense over the years and they are equal for all. Helping someone who's trying to sell in this economy is a great thing to do. Deal or no deal, you're helping someone else and who can beat that experience? A deal to you may be a relief to them....and you'll certainly save some up-front money.

VWL Mom
08-09-2011, 06:56 AM
Keep in mind that DVC has changed it's resale policies. If you will be spending your points only at then resale may be the way to go. If you think that down the road you may want to use them somewhere else, you will need to buy direct from DVC.

"Under the new policy, Members who purchase from anyone other than Disney Vacation Development, Inc., on or after March 21, 2011, will not be eligible to use those Vacation Points to make reservations within the Concierge Collection, the Disney Collection or the Adventurer Collection. Those Vacation Points will instead be valid only for reservations at Disney Vacation Club resorts, as well as for RCIŽ exchanges, Club Cordial and Club Intrawest".

IMO just something to be aware of.