PDA

View Full Version : Just Venting....No way to change ANY ADR's Around!

princessgirls
07-13-2011, 03:58 PM
Just a mini vent here....

Our trip is August 20-29
Made my ADR's 180 out, no problems... now we want to change 2. There is NO CHANGING ANYTHING. EVERYTHING IS BOOKED SOLID!!! It is kind of annoying that this is how the whole thing works with dining. There is no fly by the seat of your pants, what do you feel like tonight stuff going on here. You book your stuff at the 180th day or you don't get it. Period. End of story. So annoying!!!
My husband wants to eat at Coral Reef and I didn't book it. Can't get it now either. I'll keep trying, but I'm not too optimistic.
OK...I'm done now!
Thanks for letting me vent.
Julie:mickey:

floridamom
07-13-2011, 04:40 PM
I completely understand your frustration, but do keep trying! :mickey: We have kept calling and gotten in the day of, even at busy times. And last weekend we had to cancel 'Ohana reservations at the last minute so I imagine someone benefited from that!

Ian
07-13-2011, 04:59 PM
Listen ... don't get too caught up in this whole "ADR" thing. I've done walk-ups pretty much anyplace at any time and only gotten turned away once. I even walked up at Le Cellier.

Play it by ear. I bet you'll either be able to get an ADR between now and then when someone cancels or get in as a walk-up. Best advice is go early.

Disney4
07-13-2011, 05:03 PM
Listen ... don't get too caught up in this whole "ADR" thing. I've done walk-ups pretty much anyplace at any time and only gotten turned away once. I even walked up at Le Cellier.

Play it by ear. I bet you'll either be able to get an ADR between now and then when someone cancels or get in as a walk-up. Best advice is go early.

Agreed.

I can tell you that at least 1/2 of my ADRs over the last couple ofweeks peoplewere walking up and just being told 1/2 hour to 45 minutes wait for a table.

It got me wondering what the cancellation rate for ADRs is - I bet it is high.

DVC2004
07-13-2011, 05:07 PM
I agree. I miss the "old days" when you could pretty much get in wherever you want. I really dislike planning that far out, but you are forced to. Then if there's anything change in plans or something happens, you have very few additional options. Sigh.

VWL Mom
07-13-2011, 05:07 PM
We just booked ours for August 22 - 25 last week and I was surprised on how much was open. I wonder what changed?

I agree with Disney4 though, even during our trip last month I too noticed them taking a lot of walkups.

Keep trying & good luck :mickey:

Daisy'sMom
07-13-2011, 06:03 PM
I know I am one in a million, but I don't really understand the dining thing. I mean, the restaurants are good, but with the exception of a few, I can find the same kind of restaurants where I live. I have found that having reservations really cut into our whole magic of Disney thing. So, knowing how I feel, I say, relax and enjoy Disney, don't let this ruin your magic.:mickey:

princessgirls
07-13-2011, 09:33 PM
Thanks for letting me vent!!!!

I know it will all work out.

On a fun note, we are going to the San Angel Inn one night, because "Bridgett" in my daughter's 3rd grade raved about this place to my daughter every day!!! "Bridgett" said that it's good.
I haven't heard the same rave reviews, but I'm willing to have a few :marg: and really then anything will taste pretty good!

DisneyorBust
07-13-2011, 10:38 PM
I agree with Ian. Walk ups have worked for us and we have tried day after day to get ADR's.
Either way, I wish you good luck!

brivers222
07-13-2011, 10:49 PM
I am too tired to count... are you at your 45 day mark for you trip?!

if not, check back that day because that is when people either pay off their trip or cancel it....

things might open up.

For December, I released one of my 3 le Cellier ressies and it was taken by the time the page refreshed... Just have to check often

Dsnygirl
07-13-2011, 11:17 PM
Julie, I have noticed the same thing, and our dates are almost identical to yours.... (:)) ... are most of your ADR's at more popular places?? I tried moving a 'Ohana ressie back a 1/2hr... not a chance!! :rolleyes:

For those of you who haven't had problems with walk-ups -- was it during "free dining"?? That is when Julie and I are there... and her post (and what I've seen online w/ the ADR's) makes me wonder if we'll be able to have ANY spontaneous, last-minute decisions on our meals.

If we can't, it'll be fine... we're at Disney, after all :D ... but I would like to know how people found the ability to get walk-up seating during a "free dining" period.

(And just a tip -- one of our friends in the area has had issues at 'Ohana getting last-minute seating -- they seem to be prioritizing anyone who shows up last-minute in a group or larger party. She has made it work for she & her DH by making friends w/ other people waiting and creating their own "group" -- thus making new friends and getting seated faster, all at once. :thumbsup: Food for thought, if anyone sees this happening there or elsewhere...)

kemps@wdw
07-13-2011, 11:33 PM
ADRs are great and for the most part, recomended. But, don't stress too much if you can't get where you want right away. We've went the walk-up way several times when we couldn't get the ADR and was able to get in fairly easily with minimal wait. But, the way I see it...I'm @ WDW! I'm just as happy with a Mickey bar walking thru the parks as I would be with a ADR @ LeCelliers ( and out a lot less $) :D

mickeyman42
07-14-2011, 07:55 AM
we're going aug 25-31 and with the exception of the very very popular places, ironically most of which we have tried and not liked (coral reef, ohana, chef mickeys) there is lots of availability. I finally settled on our last adr yesterday for nine dragons and they actually have availability for every single seating ( every 15 mins) for dinner. I would definitely walk up, and may actually do that ourselves for this trip depending on how we feel each day. its not like if you have to wait 30 mins that there is nothing to do! grab a drink, wander around a min, heck, go hop on nemo for a ride then go back. we ate at coral reef in march and while I liked it, and we had a seat right next to the aquarium, DW and kids did not care for it. however the chocolate wave is worth it for me by itself! have a great trip and dont let ADR's frustrate you, play it by ear and I'll bet you'll be fine.

oh, and we did go during free dining in march and on more than one occasion walk ups were waiting just as long as we were to be seated, as if they have a reservation. one group of 5 actually walked up right behind us at coral reef and were seated before we were.

princessgirls
07-14-2011, 10:21 AM
I did pick more of the "popular" dining. Even at 180 days out, I could only get O'Hana for the end of our trip, we are going during the "FREE" Dining Promo, and if we are I'm sure there are a ton of us who are.

We have no ADR's scheduled for two of our days, as in the beginning we were planning on going to Universal. Those two days are going to be "footloose and fancy free", and I know a walk up will come.
Coral Reef...My husband was shocked that I DIDN'T BOOK THE CORAL REEF!!! I'll take him to the Chart House here in Weehawken overlooking the NYC Skyline. I'll make it up to him...who knows, I still may score a table at the Coral Reef.
Thanks All!

Dulcee
07-14-2011, 10:31 AM
Anyone remember the days when you could walk into the little booths (I remember them in EPCOT I think) to make reservations? When I was younger I can remember the morning of each day talking over where we'd like to eat that night and then making the reservation for that night..

My how times have changed...

BigRedDad
07-14-2011, 10:53 AM
This is one reason we do not do any dining plans. The only reason I have it now is because it was free. I am still hoping for a room only discount so I do not have to plan this much. I have some OK reservations. However, I would not pay for the DDP if these were my only options. Although some are good, the times are horrible.

I would assume ADR cancellations are high. People make a reservation, something is going on, and they are no where near the restaurant. They decide then to skip it. The first time we had ADRs, we missed most of them. We wound up walking up and getting in where we wanted.

The other issue is that we prefer counter service. We can get 1 meal and share it between two people. Counter service also cuts down on clock staring. When you're hungry, you eat.

princessgirls
07-14-2011, 11:06 AM
Anyone remember the days when you could walk into the little booths (I remember them in EPCOT I think) to make reservations? When I was younger I can remember the morning of each day talking over where we'd like to eat that night and then making the reservation for that night..

My how times have changed...

LOVED THOSE TV SCREENS to make those reservations!!! That was one of my favorite things in Epcot, back in the day!

kakn7294
07-14-2011, 11:09 AM
Isn't that during free dining? If so, that's your reason why right there. My friend just made an ADR for Le Cellier this past Monday for lunch on July 17 for 4 people.

Keep checking - things may change for other folks, opening up a slot for you. Good luck!

Eponine
07-14-2011, 11:23 AM
Gone are the good old days when you could walk into a park and dine that same day without problems.

I hate any free dining offer (dont' hate me for saying that). I don't do the dining plan and when it's offered for free -- argh!

Hammer
07-15-2011, 01:54 AM
Coral Reef...My husband was shocked that I DIDN'T BOOK THE CORAL REEF!!! I'll take him to the Chart House here in Weehawken overlooking the NYC Skyline. I'll make it up to him...who knows, I still may score a table at the Coral Reef.
Thanks All!

Oh Julie, forget Coral Reef and go to the Chart House :D ! My sister lives in Weehawken just off the road where you have the full on view of Lower Manhattan and that view is something that can not be truly replicated by anyone, not even Disney ;) . I have not eaten at the Chart House (I've heard good things,though) but ate at Arthur's Landiing (which sadly closed) and the view and food was spectacular!

nfrustaci
07-15-2011, 12:27 PM
ADRs are great and for the most part, recomended. But, don't stress too much if you can't get where you want right away. We've went the walk-up way several times when we couldn't get the ADR and was able to get in fairly easily with minimal wait. But, the way I see it...I'm @ WDW! I'm just as happy with a Mickey bar walking thru the parks as I would be with a ADR @ LeCelliers ( and out a lot less $) :D

:laughing: I agree !!!

nfrustaci
07-15-2011, 12:33 PM
Oh Julie, forget Coral Reef and go to the Chart House :D ! My sister lives in Weehawken just off the road where you have the full on view of Lower Manhattan and that view is something that can not be truly replicated by anyone, not even Disney ;) . I have not eaten at the Chart House (I've heard good things,though) but ate at Arthur's Landiing (which sadly closed) and the view and food was spectacular!

:thumbsup: I just loved the dinner and a show experience they used to offer. i remember going there for dinner and phantom of the opera so many years ago. that was before mesculin salad was popular and when they served me the salad i was like ah did you open the kitchen door and pick weeds to put on my plate??? the boat ride into nyc and the bus waiting to pick u up was really nice. I miss Arthurs landing ! :(

ryca1dreams
07-15-2011, 12:53 PM
I know I am one in a million, but I don't really understand the dining thing. I mean, the restaurants are good, but with the exception of a few, I can find the same kind of restaurants where I live. I have found that having reservations really cut into our whole magic of Disney thing. So, knowing how I feel, I say, relax and enjoy Disney, don't let this ruin your magic.:mickey:

I pretty much agree, though there are a couple of Disney restaurants that are unique. This could be an entire other thread.

jonahbear2006
07-15-2011, 01:24 PM

I think most of it, for us, is that it is the one time of day at disney where you stop and let things stand still, in air conditioning. You feel recharged with a creative menu and great ambiance. That leaves you with a feeling that you keep wanting to relive over and over again. We typically dont eat out much when we are at home so this is a real treat to us to allow disney to wait on us and get us back to where we need to be for the remainder of our day.

IloveDisney71
07-15-2011, 08:06 PM
Sometimes we do the dining plan & sometimes we don't. I kind of hate being so tied down to a set schedule when I'm on vacation & having to plan 180 days out. When you make a "last minute" trip you have almost no chance at getting in at a restaurant you want or at a time you want. But I will tell you to take a chance and walk up. We actually got a walk-up at LeCellier for 4 people in late June last summer and only had to wait about 15 minutes. It never hurts to ask. :thumbsup: