PDA

View Full Version : found old WDW pictures from trips

07-13-2011, 11:55 AM
Sorry for the teaser without pics but I would like to share something. I have spent hours upon days scanning my father's old slides, movies, and prints into my computer and doctoring them up for a family WDW reunion we plan to have next year. I have found some interesting pictures of now extinct attractions, but most interestingly might be some pictures of Space Mountain being construed in 1972 and some pictures of Thunder Mountain being constructed in 1979. I remember him taking the pictures in 1979, but the trip in 1972 is difficult to remember as I had just turned a year old, however it was my 2nd trip to WDW already as I supposedly was brought the previous October when it opened. Wish I could remember and still looking for those pictures. My 96 year old grandfather (who rode the full blown version of Mission: Space last year)has about 200 carousels still to go through :)

It is funny how different things look. There is one shot of the Cinderella castle from Tomorrowland where you have a plain view of the entire castle along with grassy slopes and terrain that are not there today. This spot has been occupied for years by buildings that are now, Cosmic Ray's, Venus Merchants, Auntie Gravity's, etc... It is so odd to see it so barren. And to see scaffolding in the shape of Space Mountain is truly eerie to me as all my memories have always included the Space Mountain structure as I see it now in my eyes.

I will try to remember to post pics later this summer after we return form our vacations, next week = N.C. beach house, Aug 20th, WDW!!!!:number1:

Thanks for reading.

JasonH
07-13-2011, 12:16 PM
I always loved looking at older photos of WDW, comparing the look of it then, to what it is now and remembering the old attractions now extinct or have changed in some way, shape or form. I consider myself a bit of an archivist and I used to scour the old Kazaa, Limewire, Napster, and other various file sharing programs for WDW pics that other people have taken and were sharing. Even came across a pic of when they used to have the Orange Bird in Adventureland. Sadly I didn't start going that soon, not until 1984 when I turned 7. But to hear of attractions that were already gone by the time I got down there, it makes me sad that I never got to see them at all. An example, there used to be swan boats that you could go in along the waterways of around the MK hub and into part of Adventureland if I remember the description right. The docks have since been changed into seating areas (maybe even one of the smoking sections now if I'm not mistaken). But looking back at it all, it does make one nostalgic for the "good ole days". :mickey:

07-13-2011, 01:04 PM
I always loved looking at older photos of WDW, comparing the look of it then, to what it is now and remembering the old attractions now extinct or have changed in some way, shape or form. I consider myself a bit of an archivist and I used to scour the old Kazaa, Limewire, Napster, and other various file sharing programs for WDW pics that other people have taken and were sharing. Even came across a pic of when they used to have the Orange Bird in Adventureland. Sadly I didn't start going that soon, not until 1984 when I turned 7. But to hear of attractions that were already gone by the time I got down there, it makes me sad that I never got to see them at all. An example, there used to be swan boats that you could go in along the waterways of around the MK hub and into part of Adventureland if I remember the description right. The docks have since been changed into seating areas (maybe even one of the smoking sections now if I'm not mistaken). But looking back at it all, it does make one nostalgic for the "good ole days". :mickey:

Jason, you almost remind me of myself hearing you speak. I have always been a fan of "how things work." For instance, as a kid instead of singing along to "Its a Small World," and watching the scenes, I would be more impressed with how the boats knew to stay in that pattern, or studied the tracks that would lead into a dark cave that I knew ultimately would be where the boat I am sitting in might be parked at night, or even "How do they keep all this water in this building? What if it all spilled out into Fantasyland?" :)

Anyway, if you stand on the bridge crossing the moat between the hub and Liberty Square, you can look into the water and still see the underwater rails that kept the swan boats from hitting the structure. I found some pics of the swan boats Ill try to remember to post one day. The docking station you were talking about across from the Plaza restaurant was converted to a smoking station, and was at one time the location of a desert fireworks presentation I think, but unless I was just too confused, last May when I took my daughter for the day I couldn't for the life of me find it. It is this (http://www.omniluxe.net/wyw/psbdock.jpg) one. Does anyone else know if this old green station is still there? I'm getting old. :(

By the way, you can also still see bridges in Fort Wilderness campground that the small steam train traveled over.

magicofdisney
07-13-2011, 01:11 PM
Jason, you almost remind me of myself hearing you speak. I have always been a fan of "how things work." For instance, as a kid instead of singing along to "Its a Small World," and watching the scenes, I would be more impressed with how the boats knew to stay in that pattern, or studied the tracks that would lead into a dark cave that I knew ultimately would be where the boat I am sitting in might be parked at night, or even "How do they keep all this water in this building? What if it all spilled out into Fantasyland?" :)

Anyway, if you stand on the bridge crossing the moat between the hub and Liberty Square, you can look into the water and still see the underwater rails that kept the swan boats from hitting the structure. I found some pics of the swan boats Ill try to remember to post one day. The docking station you were talking about across from the Plaza restaurant was converted to a smoking station, and was at one time the location of a desert fireworks presentation I think, but unless I was just too confused, last May when I took my daughter for the day I couldn't for the life of me find it. It is this (http://www.omniluxe.net/wyw/psbdock.jpg) one. Does anyone else know if this old green station is still there? I'm getting old. :(

By the way, you can also still see bridges in Fort Wilderness campground that the small steam train traveled over.
Is that Cosmic Rays in the the background?

I LOVE these old pics. :mickey:

07-13-2011, 01:16 PM
Is that Cosmic Rays in the the background?

I LOVE these old pics. :mickey:

Hi Genna,

No this pic is from the Main Street side. I guess you would be looking at the old Plaza Pavilion in the background on that pic. :)

That is not my pic. I found it in a Google search.

SandmanGStefani24
07-13-2011, 11:12 PM
i know how that is...

i found an old batch pictures from my 95 trip. One shot shows the footpath leading to, and the entire front of, the World of Motion ride.

Another shows the neighborhood road featuring all the TV sets in the now missing part of the Backlot Tour.

And yet another shows the Tower of Terror in the distance with no sign of a future Aerosmith ride.

I even have a picture of the the Electrical wires and cables part of Spaceship Earth. Kind of a bummer to think I will never see those things again...oh well. :beer:

Mfarquar
07-14-2011, 06:51 AM
My 96 year old grandfather (who rode the full blown version of Mission: Space last year)has about 200 carousels still to go through :)

Your grandfather is my new hero! My husband and I hope to be just like that at 96! How wonderful that he is so healthy and still so much fun!

ryca1dreams
07-14-2011, 02:33 PM
I found some taken by a cousin back around 72-73. My favorites are of the Jungle Cruise before it really looked like a jungle. It's hard to tell it is the same ride we go on today.

Cara121078
07-14-2011, 02:44 PM
I love old photos, especially ones of WDW! My parents went in 1976 and I love showing my kids all the differences. Also, my first trip was in 1982 just before EPCOT opened and we have a far away picture of "the big golf ball" :mickey: