PDA

View Full Version : Interview Attire Question

UCJen
07-12-2011, 11:46 PM
Hello-

I have an interview Monday morning at a non-profit, advocacy organization that that raises funds to find a cure for Alzheimer's disease and assists people with Alzheimer's disease and their caregivers.

I have an interview dress with a blazer--it's totally appropriate. The item that is throwing me for a loop is nylons/pantyhose. I want to look professional and polished, but I don't want to look like a relic. I have read comments from recruiters who said they would "look askance at a candidate wearing pantyhose." This recruiter also said she would think that a woman wearing pantyhose would not be open to innovation. (Seriously?)

I just want to do the right thing. I don't want to be the candidate who was passed over because I did/did not wear pantyhose.

If it helps, I did my second year internship here and nobody ever wore nylons here. (But I feel that an interview is a different situation.)

Should I just some high quality ones that are very sheer? :confused:

SBETigg
07-13-2011, 12:14 AM
Do what makes you the most comfortable, because your personal discomfort will be more obvious than whether or not you are wearing panty hose. But I just don't see women wearing them any more, honestly, so my choice would be to skip them and I would be comfortable with that.

Dulcee
07-13-2011, 07:39 AM
I agree with above, do what your comfortable with...

If its as hot in chicago as its been here, I say forget 'em.

btharvey
07-13-2011, 07:43 AM
It really depends on where you are and who you're with. Certain communities (organizations, etc.) see stockings of all types in abundance, including colored tights, etc. Others shed them as a liberation.

Present yourself as honestly, professionally and comfortably as you can, preferably in that order. It never hurts to look "too" professional. Those rare cases where it does hurt ... would you want to work there anyway? Besides, a non-profit is very careful with its image to its donors. Certain donors expect stockings. Others expect hairy armpits. There needs to be both.

I would just hope they're not on the same person, personally. :blush:

Ian
07-13-2011, 09:55 AM
Remember, what's old can be new again. I just read an article this morning on Yahoo about how Kate Middleton is bringing hosiery back in style, so you could quite possibly be perceived as cutting edge if you wear them. :D

DVC2004
07-13-2011, 12:45 PM
If the place is really conservative, you could wear them but I would stick with very sheer. if you don't like the full on get the thigh high style. Even places that used to require hose (banks for example, used to be required to wear hose) now don't so you would probably be OK. I went to many interviews in the past year wearing a suit with a skirt and did not wear hose, and it was not a problemas far as I can tell and I was offered several jobs both from men and women.

As others said do what makes you comfortable. I personally get a spray tan the day or two before just to get a nice glow, then go bare legged with a light sheen of baby oil on my legs. I've laways hated hose and used to wear mostly pants in years past before it was widely accepted to forego the hose.

SBETigg
07-13-2011, 01:59 PM
Remember, what's old can be new again. I just read an article this morning on Yahoo about how Kate Middleton is bringing hosiery back in style, so you could quite possibly be perceived as cutting edge if you wear them. :D

Haha, Ian, I read the same report. I never expected you to be an authority on it. ;)

Ian
07-13-2011, 03:06 PM
Haha, Ian, I read the same report. I never expected you to be an authority on it. ;)Well ... I saw Kate Middleton's name and it got my immediate attention.

The only way to get my attention more would have been if it had said Pippa Middleton. :D

brivers222
07-13-2011, 03:11 PM
Well ... I saw Kate Middleton's name and it got my immediate attention.

The only way to get my attention more would have been if it had said Pippa Middleton. :D

She is mentioned in there also wearing pantyhose...

Personally I think that Nylon or pantyhose covered legs are sooooo much more attractive than "naked" legs... they smooth out all the knubs and knobs and other imperfections lol

But back to subject at hand... I think OP would hit a homerun wearing Nylons or Pantyhose :D

Ian
07-13-2011, 03:26 PM
She is mentioned in there also wearing pantyhose...

Personally I think that Nylon or pantyhose covered legs are sooooo much more attractive than "naked" legs... they smooth out all the knubs and knobs and other imperfections lol:ditto: on both counts!

UCJen
07-13-2011, 05:34 PM
Personally I think that Nylon or pantyhose covered legs are sooooo much more attractive than "naked" legs... they smooth out all the knubs and knobs and other imperfections lol

But back to subject at hand... I think OP would hit a homerun wearing Nylons or Pantyhose :D

You bring up a good point. I have a runner's tan on my legs. My legs are tan to my ankles.

Maybe I will check out Macy's this weekend. It's going to be 96 and insanely humid on Monday. I figure I can remove them after the interview.

And this is not a hairy armpit place. (Although I do know some Social Workers who are very crunchy and, um, herbal. :paranoid:) :laughing:

Whatever I wear or don't wear, I am hoping it doesn't eclipse what I have to say or what is on my resume. :fingers:

UCJen
07-13-2011, 05:39 PM
Well ... I saw Kate Middleton's name and it got my immediate attention.

Is it bad that I am married to someone from England and lived there and these two are not on my radar?

I did not even watch the wedding. :secret:

brivers222
07-13-2011, 05:42 PM
Is it bad that I am married to someone from England and lived there and these two are not on my radar?

I did not even watch the wedding. :secret:

not at all... i only cared about them when the fad she is trying to bring back was pantyhose lol

You bring up a good point. I have a runner's tan on my legs. My legs are tan to my ankles.

Maybe I will check out Macy's this weekend. It's going to be 96 and insanely humid on Monday. I figure I can remove them after the interview.

And this is not a hairy armpit place. (Although I do know some Social Workers who are very crunchy and, um, herbal. :paranoid:) :laughing:

Whatever I wear or don't wear, I am hoping it doesn't eclipse what I have to say or what is on my resume. :fingers:
Yeah best of luck!!!!

greengeen
07-13-2011, 06:52 PM
Why would they be looking at your legs? I look at resumes myself. Qualifications mean a LOT more than appearance, regardless of what you read on blogs and job sites.

UCJen
07-13-2011, 07:25 PM
Why would they be looking at your legs? I look at resumes myself. Qualifications mean a LOT more than appearance, regardless of what you read on blogs and job sites.

I don't think they would be looking at my legs, per se. I just wanted to present myself as a professional in my field. I think I became concerned when I began to read these blogs and website just for interview preparation and tips and happened across this pantyhose debate.

I just graduated with my master's degree last month and I am carrying a staggering amount of student debt. I love the mission of this organization and I want to control the things I can in this process. Prior to grad school, I stayed at home with my son, so I am a bit rusty on the interviewing front.

I am going to stop reading these blogs, because I am getting contradictory information (and it's making me anxious). I think I can make better use of my time by preparing for potential questions and practicing. :thumbsup:

Ian
07-13-2011, 07:33 PM

I did not even watch the wedding. :secret:Ha! Not bad at all. I mean, let's face it ... I'm not interested in Kate & Pippa for any reason other than ... uh ... well ... the obvious?

Why would they be looking at your legs? I look at resumes myself. Qualifications mean a LOT more than appearance, regardless of what you read on blogs and job sites.Sorry, but this simply isn't true. Study after study after study has proven that physical appearance (including, unfortunately, attractiveness) is a huge influence on hiring decisions.

At a bare minimum (no pun intended), a hiring manager is absolutely going to evaluate a candidate to some degree based on the professionalism of their appearance, especially if it's a position for any kind of client facing role.

faline
07-13-2011, 08:15 PM
I've worked in non-profits for years. Additionally, I'm a Human Resources professional, Non-profits, for the most part, tend to be a bit more informal than many other businesses. When evaluating someone during an interview, I can honestly say I've never looked to see whether the person is wearing hoisery or not. I do expect that those who come for an interview are neatly and appropriately dressed and present a professional aura. Have I rejected candidates based on their dress or appearance during an interview? Yup. There was the woman who chewed gum during the entire interview. I also recall those who looked like they were on their way to the beach or ready to hang out at home for the day.

Neatness counts. Once I ascertain that overall appearance is appropriate (no torn jeans, shorts, tees with slogans etc), I focus entirely on what the person brings to the table - the skills the person has and how they can add value to the organization.

brownie
07-14-2011, 09:22 AM
There was the woman who chewed gum during the entire interview.

I rejected a candidate once many a years ago because of that, too. Very unprofessional.

I wouldn't worry about the hose. My bride tells me that it's getting harder to find it. I think it's use has been on the way out. I don't think it will hurt you. If the organization has a website, you could always look at pictures there to see if the pictures can provide any hints as to what's appropriate.

kakn7294
07-14-2011, 11:04 AM
Huh, I never considered this before. I would have just worn them (actually, I probably would have worn a pantsuit and not even a dress) but they're much more acceptible in my profession. I'm a nurse and although I wear scrubs to work, as do all of my immediate co-workers, if a nurse wears a dress, it's expected (maybe even required) that she wears nylons with it. Personally, I like the look of nylons - I agree that it gives a much smoother look to the legs, especially if yours aren't perfect (and mine are far from!). Good luck with your interview!

wdwfansince75
07-14-2011, 11:42 AM
Over the years, I have professionally visited many governmental and non-govermental organizations. The higher the level (especially in the government), the more formal the attire...if the boss is a director or above, executive support personnel dress up to their level....Only a few years ago, I would have strongly urged you to stress the dress... but today, your comfort may be more important.
...However, depends on the interviewer's Report Card...If the hiring decision will be made by an outside head hunter, expect to get more hearily scored on appearance and appropriateness of dress...especially since the interviewer may only have a job description, versus a true knowledge of the position.
If the interview is with the prospective boss, knowledge, professionalism, and compatability will be the ultimate score...but apprearance can still be the tiebreaker.

If you got this interview through a search firm, contact them for an answer. One possible final check....take a pair with you, show up early, and observe...If no one wears them, interview without them...if all wear them (which I sincerely doubt) visit the rest room, and put them on.