PDA

View Full Version : Captain EO

Zeike
07-12-2011, 01:32 PM
Hi! we are going back to WDW in nov 2011 and will miss HISTA at Epcot. We have never been to Captain EO and are wondering if it is worth our time. Also I read this was a temporary comeback, they should brink back HISTA, guess that won't happen. Just my opinion. Thanks!:mickey:

AmandaChan
07-12-2011, 02:29 PM
I mean if you want your mind blown away with 80's awesomeness then you should probably see it. It is 17 minutes long but it is very entertaining. They made this film only for Disneyland and WDW back in the what... 80's?? And they're bringing it back. How many people today get to see Captain EO?? You should most definitely see it because it might be your only chance ever. DH really wanted to see it but I watched it with MIL and my niece and he was supposed to watch it with his brother but there was a mix up and he didn't get to see it.... he still brings it up like once a week.

WDWfanatic742
07-12-2011, 02:42 PM
Captain EO was never aimed at me so I don't like it much at all, but you might...

As for HISTA, I haven't seen any plans to bring it back once Captain EO runs its course. EO will probably be around until they have a true replacement for the theater and pavilion.

DNS
07-12-2011, 02:43 PM
Last time we went, it was more crowded than we thought it would be and we forgot to go see it. I know that sounds crazy, but we had so many plans it just slipped away from us. This time I have made it a priority on our first day there!

ransam
07-12-2011, 04:32 PM
it's a 17 minute music video that's loud, some lazers shooting around, and the seats shake.

it's out dated, the song isn't good, the acting terrible, and compared to technology today it's like watching a black and white tv.
for nostaglia only.

and this is coming from 2 huge MJ fans.

texas211
07-12-2011, 06:22 PM
After the Family Guy episode that has a spoof of Capt EO, that's what I think of now. A 3d MJ grabbing a kid out of the audience..

Mfarquar
07-12-2011, 06:33 PM
I must disagree with ransam!

It is definitely an 80s period piece, but it was ground-breaking film and was not something slapped together or done by a bunch of theme park slouches.

Consider the following:

Director: Francis Ford Coppola

Starring: Michael Jackson & Angelica Houston

Fun Facts: Minute for minute, the most expensive film of all time (1 million dollars per minute).

It tries to have a positive message and is very stylized. The special effects for 1986 were phenomenal, though. Everyone I know who went to Disney in the 80s (granted, they were all kids) loved it. Angelica Houston scared me to death though! :)

In my opinion, it's still entertaining and worth a look.

Pop Centurion
07-12-2011, 09:57 PM
It's classic Michael Jackson before he started with all the surgeries & weirdness. It does bring you back 80's if you were from that era.

MOJoe
07-13-2011, 10:48 AM
It's classic Michael Jackson before he started with all the surgeries & weirdness. It does bring you back 80's if you were from that era.

Ditto. I saw it way back when, and remembered that it was a great show. But with all the wierdness that happened later in MJ's life, i was a little apprehensive about seeing it again. But it was just like i remembered. Classic Michael Jackson.
It's worth a visit. And for what it's worth, i like it more than HISTA.

Stevadore
07-13-2011, 11:20 AM
I went to this when it was new. 3-D was an infant back then and i remember being impressed by the technology. It is not so unique these days but they still haven't changed much. You still have to wear the glasses. The theatre is great and moves crouds in and out with aplum. It's a great way to get out of the heat for a while but I won't spend extended wait times to go.

azcavalier
07-13-2011, 11:23 AM
Should you go see it? Yes. Absolutely. Once.

I don't care who directed it, or who produced it. It's still pretty bad. Look....Star Wars was done in the 70's, and it's special effects are still pretty darn good. This was done after that, and I don't think the effects are nearly as good.

It's campy, goofy, and silly, with a good message, and brings back memories. My kids grew up with MJ after he got really strange. They had no idea what he used to be like, and we got to show them. My younger kids did enjoy it.

Here's hoping they replace it with something TRON.

JasonH
07-13-2011, 12:36 PM
I'm also goin in Nov 2011 with a couple days into Dec and I WILL see this as long as it's still there, which it sounds like it will be. I know it's dated, but this is something that doesn't happen at WDW....something being brought back for one last go round before it's gone for good. This also will give my SIL and 2 nieces a chance to see something that my bro, mom, dad and I had seen when I was growing up and going to WDW.

As to what Azcavalier said, I think replacing it with something along the lines of TRON would be a fantastic fit here. Any CM's that frequent here might want to pass the word along to the uppers. ;)

mariak
07-13-2011, 01:17 PM
I grew up a big MJ fan. When I heard they were bringing this back, I was excited because I never got to see it in its glory days. We saw it in DL back in April and I must say, while I’m glad that we got to see it (just because), I was also very disappointed. I wasn’t expecting much from a dated 80’s show but the only good 3D thing in the movie was the asteroid at the very beginning. I have to wonder if those involved are truly proud of it, or if it’s something they’d like to leave off their resumes? That’s 17 minutes of our lives that we will never get back…but I’m glad to know now and I won’t be kicking myself later for never having seen it. We never experienced the original Star Tours because we had heard that it wasn’t worth the time. We still had intended to, but it was never at the top of our list and it just never worked out. Now, we have nothing to compare the new one to and really wish that we’d made the effort in the past. So, in that light, I would say, “See it for the experience, but don’t expect much”. Captain EO might be at the top of the list for places to cool off or nap (as my DH did).

I would definitely rather have HISTA there. I really had hoped that Disney would re-make that movie so that they could bring back an updated version of the attraction. I won’t hold my breath but I won’t stop hoping either. I have to say, that Tron idea sounds great too!.....or Bring back Horizons! I never experienced that either and, after listening to John talk about it all the time, I can’t help feeling like we’ve missed something great!

Have a Magical Trip! :mickey:

Zeike
07-15-2011, 10:26 AM
Will have to see it to form my own opinion, will tell you guys when our november trip is done. Me and DW love the 80's so should not be that bad. The kids probably will enjoy it. Still we really enjoyed HISTA and are sad to see it go.

Mariak I last rode Horizons 1996 or 98 on is last year and it was a great ride. They should open a park just with old rides for nostalgia.

Thanks all for the replies.

SBETigg
07-15-2011, 10:46 AM
It's pretty cheesy and dated. It's not a can't-miss for me. I would see it if I had time, but wouldn't make it a priority.

ransam
07-15-2011, 04:58 PM
i'm sure for the 80's it was mind blowing,but that was almost 30 years ago.

and i hate to say this, i am sure it will upset people, but honestly, there is only one reason it was brought back. it wasn't a nostaglia thing, it wasn't to honor MJ, it wasn't because it was good. Disney brought it back because MJ had passed and they wanted to take advantage of it and make some money. if MJ was a live, there is no way this show comes back.

jazzy
07-15-2011, 06:58 PM
It may have been disney's way of paying homage to MJ however my niece and nephew who are 6 and 11 who can now see what MJ was like back when i was their age.
I loved the show is is just 80's goodness down to the last drop with the breakdancing poplocking and jerrycurls. The worst part is the unnessarily corny and long preshow while your waiting in the que. Please experience it at least once.

lovinmesomedisney
07-15-2011, 08:32 PM
I saw it last September, and I have to say, I WON'T ever be going back. I thought it was pretty bad. I am not at all a Michael Jackson fan though and only went because others in the group wanted to see it. Total waste of MY time!

Terra
07-15-2011, 09:04 PM
I must disagree with ransam!

It is definitely an 80s period piece, but it was ground-breaking film and was not something slapped together or done by a bunch of theme park slouches.

Consider the following:

Director: Francis Ford Coppola

Starring: Michael Jackson & Angelica Houston

Fun Facts: Minute for minute, the most expensive film of all time (1 million dollars per minute).

It tries to have a positive message and is very stylized. The special effects for 1986 were phenomenal, though. Everyone I know who went to Disney in the 80s (granted, they were all kids) loved it. Angelica Houston scared me to death though! :)

In my opinion, it's still entertaining and worth a look.

ITA! :) I'm not an MJ fan at all, but I liked this attraction, most especially for the nostalgia reasons. And I did like some of the music. The story line really is good about finding inner beauty and peace and being kind to your fellow human being.

I actually did not like it the first time I saw it. It wasn't what I excepted. A month later, I tried it again and loved it. I knew going in, yes it IS from the 80s, No CGI, no 21st Century touches...but never-the-less hard work and imagination makes this attraction worth the stop.

AmandaChan
07-15-2011, 10:45 PM
i'm sure for the 80's it was mind blowing,but that was almost 30 years ago.

and i hate to say this, i am sure it will upset people, but honestly, there is only one reason it was brought back. it wasn't a nostaglia thing, it wasn't to honor MJ, it wasn't because it was good. Disney brought it back because MJ had passed and they wanted to take advantage of it and make some money. if MJ was a live, there is no way this show comes back.

I'm sure they didn't go through all of the trouble to bring it back just to make some money. There was probably 2 shirts for sale at Epcot and they haven't really advertised the attraction too much anyways (the only way I found out about it was a blog on someone else's Disney site.) If they did bring it back for money making reasons who is to argue that there weren't any nostalgia or acknowledging his death intentions in there also??

Anytime Disney wants to bring something back from the 80's for some nostalgia by all means! At least I can say I got to see it... Now 30 years from now if they want to bring back Muppet Vision 3D you better believe I will go out of my way to see it again -- even though it will look 'bad' by 2040's standards.

Seasonscraps
07-16-2011, 11:19 AM
I didn't enjoy it at all but then I am not a Michael Jackson fan either.

desilu78
07-26-2011, 09:14 PM
I saw it last month. Yes it is not the greatest movie of all times, but I like it because it brings me back to my childhood of when it came out. That is what I miss about some things at Epcot. I understand they need to keep up with the times, but some things they should keep and update it.

MNNHFLTX
07-26-2011, 10:42 PM
Short and sweet--I really liked EO back in the 80's and I still like it. Cheesy, yes, but in the nostalgic way that big hair and Hammer pants were also in that era. And I disagree, I think the song was pretty good. See of you don't find yourself humming it all afternoon after seeing the video. :)

Japangurlangel
07-28-2011, 06:37 PM
I have gone on EO everytime. I remembered it from when I was young I was 6 when it stoped running and so for my 21st birthday :party:in November I plan on watching it 21 times so far I have 7 times in two trips. It is a great product of the the 80's and I would say to defintily go on atleast just once.

BWayGrl
07-29-2011, 03:55 PM
I wasn't around for the original run of Captain EO but I saw it in Disneyland last year and I loved it! I am very nostalgic (especially when it comes to Disney), so I think I enjoyed it for that reason. It was something Disney that I never got to see but was finally getting a chance to see in person. It felt like a secret! It was pretty cheesy, but I had a smile on my face the entire time! If you're a Disney history buff like I am, then I would say see it.

acetate
08-13-2011, 08:06 PM
Anyone know when they will be getting rid of Captain EO ? I'd rather see HISTK than sit through a dated Michael Jackson video.

LudwigVonDrake
08-13-2011, 09:52 PM
If you don't see it you won't be missing much. Not one of my favorites :shrug:

MNNHFLTX
08-14-2011, 01:23 PM
Anyone know when they will be getting rid of Captain EO ? I'd rather see HISTK than sit through a dated Michael Jackson video.
I doubt that they will bring back Honey I Shrunk the Audience--that was also a very dated production. There are a lot of rumors out there about a new show to replace HISTA and Captain EO, but it is probably going to be a while before it debuts.

iceicebritney
08-14-2011, 03:48 PM
In reading this post, I've become confused... I thought on a park map online I saw Captain EO was showing at a different location than its original home in the imagination pavilion theater? Is Captain EO back in the imagination pavilion? Sorry if this is a silly question, but somewhere online I swear I saw it listed in innoventions or something? :confused:

mickeys_princess_mom
08-14-2011, 04:02 PM
I saw it last September, and I have to say, I WON'T ever be going back. I thought it was pretty bad. I am not at all a Michael Jackson fan though and only went because others in the group wanted to see it. Total waste of MY time!

I agree! Waste of time for us, too. I was surprised at so many positive answers! I was a MJ fan in the early days, but...

WDWfanatic742
08-14-2011, 08:52 PM
Captain EO is located in the theater in Imagination, where it and HISTA used to be located in the past...

bertasso59
08-15-2011, 10:12 PM
I still love Capt Eo,its great to see a little piece of what EPCOT was when it was great.And I was soooo tired of the lame and corny HISTA