PDA

View Full Version : Legless Vet thrown to his death from NY coaster

Stevadore
07-10-2011, 11:28 AM
From AP story:
"The Ride of Steel roller coaster at Darien Lake Theme Park Resort in Darien, N.Y., Saturday, July 9, 2011. Sgt. James Hackemer, a U.S. Army veteran who lost his legs while deployed in Iraq was thrown from the 200-foot-tall roller coaster at the upstate theme park on Friday, July 8, 2011 and was killed. Hackemer, 29, was ejected from the Ride of Steel roller coaster at about 5:30 p.m., the Genesee County sheriff's office said."

The family said he had a new pair of prosthetic legs but was not wearing them when he entered the ride. The ride operators did not challange his desire to go on the coaster. His sister said he was determined to ride as may rollercoasters as he could and was happier than ever since the loss of his legs to be on this quest. He was said to be in the front car and I am wondering if he held his hands up and in thrill pose for full effect and thus defeated the lap bar's purpose? Lot's of questions to be answered in this story.

Disney4us2
07-10-2011, 11:49 AM
How sad.:(

Ed
07-10-2011, 01:42 PM
Horrible story; prayers and Pixie Dust for his family and friends.

Since this is not Disney-related, I'm taking the liberty of moving the thread to The Water Cooler for additional discussion.

Cinderelley
07-10-2011, 06:48 PM
This is horrible!!! Prayers for his family and friends. At least he was happy when it happened.

DVC2004
07-11-2011, 12:06 PM
What a very sad story. I read this online and he had been through some very tough physical therapy and rehab since his injury. How sad. Prayers for him and his loved ones.