PDA

View Full Version : Moving to NOLA

Chic-a-pin
07-03-2011, 10:15 PM
Hello fellow Intercoties! I thought this would be a good place for thoughts/advice. My husband & I are planning on moving to New Orleans in about 6 months. RIght now our thoughts are to move down there after we sell our house and rent until we find jobs. How is the job market down there? There seems to be a lot of job postings on the various outlets we've looked at. We're thinking about living in the Irish Channel area or Garden District area. We are open minded and know there are a lot of areas going through transitions right now. We just decided we're both at dead end jobs, neither one of us have family here, we have no kids, so we decided this is the time to make a change. So any thoughts are appreciated! Thanks!:thumbsup:

NJGIRL
07-03-2011, 11:29 PM
Good Luck with your move. :mickey: I have no knowledge of the area so I can't give any advice about that. It seems like a good time in your lives to try something different, but I'm not sure if I would leave a job in this economy without having another one first.

7165red
07-08-2011, 04:41 PM
Go to city-data.com, click on to discussions and go to NOLA forums. It's agreat site.

DisneyOtaku
07-24-2011, 11:17 AM
The Garden District is a very nice, very classic-South/New Orleans styled area. It's probably one of the priciest areas to live in NO then.

As for jobs, I'm not sure how NO is doing, but in LA overall, we're still recovering from the economy, since it hit us last. But it *is* bouncing back.

Hope this helps a little, at least! :)

Chic-a-pin
07-25-2011, 05:16 PM
Thanks for the replies! I've been on that city-data almost everyday now!

MississippiDisneyFreak
07-27-2011, 12:09 PM
My cousins lives in the Garden District and it is a lovely although expensive place to live...as far as the job market, one of my cousins has had a lot of success finding bartending jobs (imagine that in New Orleans) but the other cousin has looked into other types of employment and has had to wait several months for a decent job to open....be careful whereever you chose to live and carefully research the neighborhood. Sometimes very nice neighborhoods are located next to rather high crime areas.....

Dixie Springs
07-28-2011, 09:01 PM
City Data Forums was going to be my suggestion also. Some real negative stuff sometimes (not regulated like Intercot), but just have to sort through the hyperbole.