PDA

View Full Version : Why does summer seem to end July 30th at Disney??

Dsnygirl
06-29-2011, 09:06 AM
Unless I'm mistaken, summer generally runs until Labor Day.... or at least until the local children go back to school. Either way, it is surprising to me that Disney considers the end of July to be the time period when they should end all their "summer fun" events.

What made this more noticeable to me were the recent "summer fun happenings" that were announced, (the dance parties at AK) all with an end date of July 30th. Even last year, they kept the special fireworks, etc., running until mid-August, which coincided with the "end of summer/late summer" travel deals that were coming out.

This year, those specials once again start mid-August (the 19th, to be exact)... but the special summer events all seem to end 3 weeks earlier. :confused:

It doesn't affect us, b/c our vacation at Disney doesn't "officially" start until August 19th (we travel the 17th and arrive the 18th...:D) but regardless, the new announcement of another special event ending the 30th of July just had me wondering at their shorter dates.

Georgesgirl1
06-29-2011, 09:30 AM
In the southern states, school starts back early to mid August. I am a teacher in Georgia, and my preplanning starts on August 1st this year! So for Disney the "local children" are in fact back to school when they start the end of summer specials. Also, even if school doesn't start for northern states until late August or early September, most families aren't going to be traveling to Disney the week or two before school starts. They will be getting things ready for the new school year or older kids may be at band, football, or cheerleading camp. Since attendance drops due to these factors in early August, Disney doesn't tend to continue all the expensive summer "extras" through the month of August.

MississippiDisneyFreak
06-29-2011, 09:32 AM
That's a good question since summer doesn't officially end until September 23rd....

DisneyMom12
06-29-2011, 09:45 AM
Could you tell me where I could find the summer fun happenings?

brownie
06-29-2011, 10:19 AM
Could you tell me where I could find the summer fun happenings?

Summing up the summer magic (http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/news/summer-at-wdw-2011/)

princessgirls
06-29-2011, 11:44 AM
What is with that????

Summer to me is Memorial Day to Labor Day, in spite of what the calendar officially says.

August is still a summer month...why cut it short Disney???

Julie:mickey:

meldan98
06-29-2011, 12:42 PM
Even on the west coast our summer is getting shorter and shorter. Some of the schools in our area go back to school August 1st, but then they are out by Memorial Day. My dd doesn't go back until the last week in August. The early school schedules caused so many problems with businesses and activities that they even had to move our State Fair that used to run from the middle of August through Labor day, to the middle of July.

Melanie
06-29-2011, 12:57 PM
In the southern states, school starts back early to mid August. I am a teacher in Georgia, and my preplanning starts on August 1st this year! So for Disney the "local children" are in fact back to school when they start the end of summer specials.

Eh. We're in Tampa (definitely local) and we don't start back until August 24th.

I see your point Blythe, and I don't get it either.

DizneyRox
06-29-2011, 01:08 PM
The answer is quite simple... July 30th is when the profit chart starts to flatline...

joonyer
06-29-2011, 01:15 PM
Our first day of school here in our county is August 1, and many other systems start around that same time, but some do start later. Seems like we've been starting a little earlier every year, last year is was August 4.

I can see Disney's point of view. They set their promotions based on attendance trends not the calendar. But heck, in Florida the weather is almost like endless summer. You can see daily highs in the 80's even until the end of October or beyond. That's why Walt and his planners chose it for WDW.

KylesMom
06-29-2011, 02:26 PM
We noticed this last year when "Sounds Like Summer" entertainment came to a halt on July 30th - although a few of the other things they had going on continued through the middle of August or so. I don't get it, either.

Kairi_7378
06-30-2011, 09:24 PM
It's really odd... especially since they start celebrating Halloween in the middle of September!

darthmacho
07-01-2011, 01:15 PM
These things have always confused me as well, but I guarantee you one thing, that the driving force behind these decisions has something to do with: $$$ :twocents: :spend::twocents:

PopPhan
07-01-2011, 02:07 PM
In all seriousness, when does Disney's fiscal year end? Or even quarter, for that matter? It could be that July 30 is the end of a fiscal quarter.

But, in the vein of your question...No, it doesn't make sense to end "Summer" on July 30 in that, by the calendar, July 30 is only the midpoint of the summer season.

brownie
07-01-2011, 04:32 PM
In all seriousness, when does Disney's fiscal year end? Or even quarter, for that matter? It could be that July 30 is the end of a fiscal quarter.

Fiscal 2011 began October 3, 2010. Quarter 1 ended January 1, 2011, Quarter 2 ended April 2, 2011, Quarter 3 will end July 2, 2011, and Quarter 4/Fiscal 2011 will end October 1, 2011. It's not tied to the fiscal reporting. It probably has more to do with people's vacation habits, and attendance levels begin to level off in August (although the cheaper rates for the Disney World hotels don't kick in until mid-August.)

Cinderelley
07-03-2011, 02:11 AM
My kids start back to school at the beginning of August.