PDA

View Full Version : Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party with small children??

poohbearkris
06-27-2011, 08:52 PM
I have a question. My sister, mom and I will be taking a trip to WDW at the beginning of December. We will be traveling with my two boys 4 and 7 and my sister's two boys, 3 and 1. We would love to take them to the Very Merry Christmas Party, but at this point are thinking that we probably will not due to it be later in the evening. My only thought would be to have an easier day so we could take them just in the evening. Is it worth it?? Could anybody share your experiences with us who have taken children of similar ages. Thanks.:roo:

Joannelet
06-27-2011, 09:26 PM
It depends on your children. My niece was 18 months and my nephew had just turned 3 the first time they went. They loved it and the Christmas parade was loved by them both. It was cold so we all were in winter clothes and they were good sports about it. I went to Disney when my son was one and decided not to take him to the party. For one he is usually out by 7pm and it wouldnt be worth it for him to be there and 2nd he isnt a fan of being in the cold that long....neither am I. So I decided against it. It all depends how you think they will handle it.

tinksmom02
06-27-2011, 10:18 PM
I agree that it depends on the children involved. Last year my daughter, then 8, outlasted her friend, also 8, at the party. It was COLD.

We're going in November this year, with my parents and my brother & his family, and as of right now, he's decided that they're not doing the party. His littles will be 4 and almost 3. The younger one is good about telling you if she's tired BUT doesn't like to/can't nap just anywhere. So they're concerned that the kids won't rest enough during the day to make the party worthwhile. Plus it's an added expense.

So as of right now it's just me, DD, and my folks. I told my brother that he has right up until that night to change his mind, so who knows.

Long story short, you and your sister will know your kids best. Your plan of taking it easy during that day, though, is an excellent one.

lawgirl
06-28-2011, 04:08 PM
We went without our son (my parents babysat that night). It was really cold the night we went, and we stayed until closing. That being said, we saw so many young kids and babies, and they all seemed to be doing really well.

It all depends on your particular kids. Would they be ok that day if you slept in and took extra naps during the day? It was about 12:45 am when we left.

I think the older kids would be fine. And the parades and dance parties are soooo cool! And its absolutely amazing to basically have the park to yourselves!

Its expensive, but I've been told that you can get in as early as 4:00 to the MK before the party, so you could try and go early, and plan on only staying until 10 or so.

ransam
06-28-2011, 06:23 PM
i'll be honest, in my oppinion it's cool, but not sure ir it's worth the money, espeically if you have any doubts you won't get your value for the money.

MrPeetrie
06-29-2011, 06:40 AM
My wife and I have attended a couple of these before we had our children. I remember from one trip at least a dozen young children (toddler age) dressed in their pajamas, dancing on Main Street among the fake snow flakes as they waited for the parade to start. The atmosphere was very festive.

We have taken our daughter to the MSSSHP (similar type of event in terms of hours and rides available) three times and she LOVED IT!!! At 2 1/2 years old, she danced non-stop at Stitch's Dance Party and was full of energy near midnight. She attended again at 4 and closed the park. It's her favorite event.

If you do decide to go to the MVMCP, just make sure you have an easy schedule the following day. I think your children will love it.

Giselle
06-29-2011, 10:56 AM
I think when you are at DW, the kids' schedule seem to change. Maybe take an extra long, late nap. I think it might be worth it to see the parade and get to ride the rides at night with little or no wait and to see the characters in their holiday garb. :santa:

poohbearkris
07-03-2011, 03:18 PM
Thanks for all of the posts. I think we will play it by ear and see how the little ones do. I did not realize that we would potentially be able to buy tickets while we were out there, and if they sell out when we are there then I guess it is an excuse to go back at that time of year again.

faline
07-03-2011, 04:15 PM
A couple of years back, we went with my brother's family. His son was 2 at the time and he opted out of the party due to his concern that his son could have a meltdown and they'd have to leave the park. This was probably a wise choice as they missed their last Magic Kingdom day with us for just this reason!

Now that he'll be 4, they are seriously considering attending the party on an upcoming trip!

PAYROLL PRINCESS
07-03-2011, 08:19 PM
My nephew was 2.5 years old when we went and he was like the energizer bunny. And we had just gotten back from the cruise that morning so it's not like it was a peaceful relaxing day either with driving from the port, check in and unpacking. But he was also good about being able to fall asleep in the stroller if he was tired. It all depends upon your kids and how they do with late nights.

Mickey'sGirl
07-04-2011, 08:01 AM
We took our youngest when he was just under 2, and he had fun ... then he fell asleep in his stroller, and the rest of us continued to have fun while he slept! If you want to go, go for it! :thumbsup: