PDA

View Full Version : Brief HHN News from HHN Rumors....

DizneyFreak2002
06-25-2011, 04:54 PM
Some news for HHN trickles in via HHN Rumors... HHN website may be up on June 29th as well... Guess we have to wait and see if that's true or not...

According to what appears to be an official press release given to OnlineFlorida.co.uk, we can confirm 25 nights for this year's event. The dates are posted below. The release also notes the name of the event as Halloween Horror Nights XXI.

"Combo Ticket Admission (includes Day and Event admission):
2-Park Bonus with Halloween Horror Nights® Combo Ticket. The 2-Park Bonus with Halloween Horror Nights® Combo Ticket entitles one guest admission to Universal Studios Florida®, Universal’s Islands of Adventure® and Universal CityWalk® on all days during a fourteen (14) consecutive calendar day period which includes the first day any portion of the ticket is used.

This ticket also includes admission to HHN during the following 2011 Event Dates which fall within the fourteen (14) consecutive day period: September 23, 29, 30 October 2, 6, 7, 9, 13, 14, 16, 19, 20, 21, 23, 26, 27, 28, 30, or 31. Not valid for any Saturday HHN Events Dates: September 24, October 1, 8, 15, 22, or 29. "

Mfarquar
06-25-2011, 05:52 PM
Thanks, DisneyFreak2002!

This is very helpful. The only dates I've had to go on were ones people claim they saw for the HHN employment opportunities.

It's nice to know the official dates!

I can't believe Universal is so late releasing information this year. Last year they released the dates and allowed the purchase of tickets starting on 6/15, and THAT was the latest release date in my memory!

DizneyFreak2002
06-25-2011, 06:37 PM
I'm shocked too... My plans for October somewhat hinge on the HHN dates... I used last year's model and figured out the possible 2011 dates... I was right... My plans were set for October 6 based figuring them out myself a few months ago... And thankfully i was right...

I'm doing HHN instead of MNSSHP... Disney doesn't change anything up year after year, so, my friend and I decided to give Universal the money this year since we have done MNSSHP several times and never done HHN....

Pirate Granny
06-25-2011, 07:25 PM
Hope you like scary...they don't recommend children under 12 going. I heard the CM in costume chase you down the streets with chain saws...no trick or treating either.
Have a great time.

NJGIRL
06-25-2011, 10:10 PM
Hope you like scary...they don't recommend children under 12 going. I heard the CM in costume chase you down the streets with chain saws...no trick or treating either.
Have a great time.

This is true. They also sneak up from behind you while walking down dark fog filled streets.
Their costumes are also top notch. They could be used for horror movies they look so real.

DizneyFreak2002
06-26-2011, 12:49 AM
Have a great time.

This is true. They also sneak up from behind you while walking down dark fog filled streets.
Their costumes are also top notch. They could be used for horror movies they look so real.

Bring... it... On.. :) Wait, that a movie that was filmed there, right? LOL...

WishesFan13
06-26-2011, 01:36 AM
Lol, thanks for the info. HHN is awesome that's what actual got dh and I to travel to fl and become Disney junkies 9 years ago. I'm sure you've done your research but the houses are scary and so detailed. You gotta love unexpected things like a shaun of the dead winchester scene with the shaun scareactor wearing the red tie around his head. Or vampires flying over your head in another house. Also the bill and ted show can be really funny, depends on the year some have been funnier then others but usually good. I'm kinda surprised about the September 23rd opening. We normally have to guess also since we plan our week in wdw to hit HHN and the food and wine festival, in the past opening weekend has been the last weekend in September. Hmm I guess universal is trying to make extra money this year.

NJGIRL
06-26-2011, 08:29 AM
Hmm I guess universal is trying to make extra money this year.

This is a gold mine for them and they know it. I'm surprised they haven't followed Disney's lead and have dates in all of Sept and some of November.

lapinblanc
06-27-2011, 12:37 PM
we are staying at us prior to our week stay at wdw the end of sept. we have not been to us or ioa since 2000. how will hhn affect our visit if we are checking in on the 23rd? will the park close early? will it be crowded? we were not planning on hhn that weekend. should we attend?

Mfarquar
06-27-2011, 09:45 PM
They've been doing the last full all-September weekend (usually 23rd or 25th) the past couple of years. We always go the first weekend, and you shouldn't see a big increase in crowds during the day. Many people come just for the evening for HHNs. You should be fine.

But, yes, it will affect the usual Universal closing time by about 1 hour.

Usually Universal will close at 5pm and Islands of Adventure closes at 7pm.

DisneyFreak2002 - You are in for such a GOOD time. My husband and I started going in 2005 and we're hooked! Definitely the polar opposite of MNSSHP, but wonderful just the same. It is very well done and VERY scary. If you like frightening, you'll love it!

DizneyFreak2002
06-28-2011, 01:34 PM
UPDATE: The HHN website is in fact up and running and tickets are now being sold!!!!!!!

Halloween Horror Nights (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byQIPdHMpjc&feature=artistob&playnext=1&list=TL9lBOH6B6Imc)

Mfarquar
06-28-2011, 03:37 PM
Thanks so much DisneyFreak2002! With such a busy day at work I didn't get a chance to check today!

This is great! I'm going to check right now!

:thedolls::thedolls::thedolls::thedolls::thedolls:

Mfarquar
06-28-2011, 03:43 PM
I'm glad they have the "Rush of Fear" pass (a partial Frequent Fear Pass for the first half of the dates(! I heard about this in one of the surveys Universal sent me months ago.

We always go the opening weekend, so this will save us quite a bit of money.

The partial pass is definitely the way to go at $69.99 to get admission for all of the first 10 nights. This is cheaper than a 1 day ticket, which has SKYROCKETED to $81.99.

Of course, if you're only going 1 night and will have a park ticket during the day, Stay and Scream is still the way to go!

DizneyFreak2002
06-28-2011, 04:07 PM
Stay and Scream is the way me and my friend are going... $37.00 added to a one day pass is acceptable to me... I think I will be calling and doing this over the phone tomorrow because I also have to add a 3rd day to my tickets...

Mfarquar
06-28-2011, 04:29 PM
Stay and Scream is a great deal for one night visits - the best!

My husband and I used to do this, until we became totally addicted and decided we'd rather do 2 nights a year and started getting the Frequent Fear Pass in 2007. Traditionally, this comes out to about $35 a night. But, it's obviously only worth it if you're going more than 1 night.

Calling will probably be the best way to have them add on the Stay and Scream option since you've already purchased tickets and need to add on to your day passes. In the past, you can buy the Stay and Scream ticket separately, and they just leave the responsbility on you to be in the park already and have a Universal ticket. They won't scan your Stay and Scream ticket until you're in the holding area (or maybe at the gate if you've already exited the park - never tried to leave and come back with a Stay and Scream). This may have changed, so calling will probably be good.

DizneyFreak2002
06-28-2011, 04:36 PM
Tha's something else I have to figure out then... if we can leave, dine on CityWalk, then re-enter.. Can't see why that would be an issue though...

joanna71985
06-28-2011, 04:43 PM
I will be getting the Frequent Fear Plus pass, unless I pass the audition for HHN (I'm considering auditioning).

Mfarquar
06-28-2011, 04:46 PM
They have a special area for Stay and Scream (same holding area we spoke about above)... If you're only doing one night AND you're doing October, I highly recommend you consider the Stay and Scream holding area :)

DizneyFreak2002
06-28-2011, 07:18 PM
They have a special area for Stay and Scream (same holding area we spoke about above)... If you're only doing one night AND you're doing October, I highly recommend you consider the Stay and Scream holding area :)

So basically, if I get the stay and scream add on, I have to stay in the park??? I cannot leave and dine in CityWalk??? The website says I can get the stay and scream add on my one day ticket, but the usage of the stay and scream doesn't have to be the same day I visit the park... Unless I am missing something????

Mfarquar
06-29-2011, 07:00 AM
I'm really not sure. I've only stayed in the park with the Stay and Scream. Besides the price, that is really the big selling point of the ticket, because it helps ensure you can get to each of the houses (usually there are 8). On crowded nights, it may be impossible to see everything in one night because of how long the lines can get (over an hour wait per house), without the advantage of Stay and Scream jump on the first 2-3 houses OR an HHN Express Pass.

I doubt that they would turn you away. I would ask when you call. I would also make sure you have your Universal ticket with you and ready to show.

In my experience, Universal workers in the park aren't always so sure of what to do (some opening weekends 50% of them can't tell you where the Stay and Scream holding area will be). However, I have always found that they are pretty reasonable and will use common sense. I can't imagine that if you have both your Universal ticket and your Stay and Scream at the gate that they would give you any problems.

However, (not to be a broken record or bossy - I promise, last time I will say it) I STRONGLY recommend that you do not leave the park. The lines outside the park get quite long, especially since everyone must go through metal detectors. You'll then be dealing with the lines for the first few houses (sometimes they stagger house opening times, so even if you work the houses counter-clockwise, you still may have to wait 20 minutes for the first on the opposite side of the park to open).

However, if you're also getting Express Passes, this will not be so much of a problem. In my experience, this event is exponentially more crowded then MNSSHP because there are less nights that this event is open (it starts later in the season) and is a huge hit with locals and die hard fans. The crowd levels will depend on the night you're going, but even on opening night (one of the less crowded evenings), we have seen at least one or two houses at any given time with over an hour wait. Having a jump on the crowd has really helped us in the past and helped us avoid any major long lines so that we can see almost everything.

NJGIRL
06-29-2011, 09:23 AM
However, (not to be a broken record or bossy - I promise, last time I will say it) I STRONGLY recommend that you do not leave the park. The lines outside the park get quite long, especially since everyone must go through metal detectors. You'll then be dealing with the lines for the first few houses (sometimes they stagger house opening times, so even if you work the houses counter-clockwise, you still may have to wait 20 minutes for the first on the opposite side of the park to open).

However, if you're also getting Express Passes, this will not be so much of a problem. In my experience, this event is exponentially more crowded then MNSSHP because there are less nights that this event is open (it starts later in the season) and is a huge hit with locals and die hard fans. The crowd levels will depend on the night you're going, but even on opening night (one of the less crowded evenings), we have seen at least one or two houses at any given time with over an hour wait. Having a jump on the crowd has really helped us in the past and helped us avoid any major long lines so that we can see almost everything.

I have to jump on the band wagon here: "Do not leave the park...I repeat Do not leave the park" lol.

Have you ever been to the MK on a MNSSHP night when you are leaving the park and see the massive amounts of people waiting in line to get in? Well that's nothing compared to the Universal party. As already stated this very big with the locals. Crowds are massive.

I have to tell a story: It was the 2nd year that they were doing the party and we saw it advertised on TV while we were on a Disney vacation. We decided to go on a Thursday night and left our Disney hotel 2 hours before the event started (it only takes a half an hour at most with heavy traffic to get there). We got to Universal with no problem, but once we turned off the main highway we were in gridlock for over an hour! We were basically in "on property" traffic for over an hour! The worst part is that they were sold out for the night. There were signs everywhere stating this but there was no way to get out of line or turn around. We were waiting in a line to get off the property. The next year we learned our lesson and bought tickets ahead of time. We had an early dinner at the Hark Rock Cafe and got back in line an hour before the event. Since we were already parked we were the third family in our line. This was before they allowed you to stay in the park or had any of the fancy combo tickets.

If you really want to eat at City Walk I suggest maybe having a late lunch (maybe around 2:00) at City Walk and be back in the park by 3:00 so you can avoid the big lines. You can always grab something to eat in the park latter that night.

WDWfanatic742
06-29-2011, 10:31 AM
I gotta agree with everyone else. We went a few years back on Halloween night, got in line about an hour before the park was supposed to open, the line wasn't so bad. About a half hour later the line (which by then were multiple lines and each double back) backed up past the Nascar Cafe and they opened the park earlier than normal because of it.

The park itself didn't feel like it was crowded at all, it didn't actually seem to get bad until around midnight when we waited about 45 minutes or so for a house. The rest were only like 5 or 10 minutes tops...

Mfarquar
06-29-2011, 05:08 PM
Agree!

The wait times can really vary. I have also heard that the week before Halloween can sometimes be very crowded because the Orlando high schools have some sort of vacation (or teacher convention). Certain dates have been known as H-E-double hockey sticks nights (or the full week).

Saturday nights are usually the worst, followed by Fridays. While I have never gone on actual Halloween, I have heard it usually depends partially on the day of the week Halloween falls on.

NJGirl - Crazy story! Sounds like Harry Potter opening (ok, not really, but close!)! You guys must have been so disappointed :( I think waiting in that line and not being able to turn around would have driven me crazy!! I like your idea about a late lunch at City Walk! Sometimes a late lunch is great - it gives you an excuse to take a break from sensory overload to get a snack during the event :)!

WDWfanatic742
06-29-2011, 05:29 PM
Saturday nights are usually the worst, followed by Fridays. While I have never gone on actual Halloween, I have heard it usually depends partially on the day of the week Halloween falls on.

It's weird because in 2008 when I went it on Halloween it was on a Friday. We expected hour long plus waits and not being able to do anything after the first hour or two. It was very relaxed and not many people in the park. It must just have meant that they decided to not sell as many tickets, because it was sold out for at least a month before Halloween...

DizneyFreak2002
06-29-2011, 06:53 PM
I just spoke to a customer service rep for Universal... I verified that the Stay and Scream upgrade does NOT stop you from leaving the park, dining at CityWalk, then re-entering... The rep said you do not have to stay in the park if you upgrade your ticket...

I am still going to try to get a 3:00 lunch sitting on CityWalk, probably Margaritaville... I am also thinking of getting the Express Pass for HHN... DO you all recommend the express pass??? Is it worth the extra $40???

Mfarquar
06-30-2011, 08:10 AM
Hmmmm... If you don't mind me asking, what date you plan on attending the event? I think the date may really dictate whether or not an Express Pass is worth it.

We bought our first Express Passes last year. I gave them to my husband as part of his bday present, which was really one of the main motivating factors - we've usually been really good at using Stay and Scream benefits and having an attack plan.

We didn't get it our first night (opening Friday) and decided to get it for the first Saturday night. The first night we were able to hit up every house as well as all the Scare Zones, but kinda pushed ourselves. The next night we used the Express Pass to hit up all the houses again, and it was definitely a less tiring experience. We were also able to hit up a The Mummy and Men and Black that night and the Bill and Ted Show.

I'm not sure if we'll do it again next year, but it was nice knowing it would be easier to see everything if it was really crowded. It definitely wasn't necessary for our nights, but it made everything easier.

If you're only going one night, it might be nice insurance. My opinion is that it really depends on the night you plan to visit...

DizneyFreak2002
06-30-2011, 11:03 AM
We are only going 1 night... October 6th...

WDWfanatic742
06-30-2011, 12:56 PM
Thursday and three weeks before Halloween shouldn't be too bad at all. As long as you are there at opening, you should have plenty of time to do everything and then some...

Mfarquar
06-30-2011, 04:22 PM
I agree with WDWFanatic742. You picked a good night to go. Nice and early in the season and on a Thursday night.

Especially if you stay in the park, you should be able to get through everything quite nicely. I personally wouldn't do the Express Pass unless I had some money to burn and just wanted the extra convenience of not waiting for anything (although there can be 10 minute lines sometimes for Express Pass depending on how long the regular line is).

You'll probably also see online what houses become really popular after the first few nights. There are always fan favorites. Those would be good to hit up earlier on to avoid lines.

So long story short, in my experience I don't think an Express Pass would be necessary. You should be able to do everything and still have time for Scare Zones and a few rides or a show.

DizneyFreak2002
06-30-2011, 07:12 PM
The plan right now is to try to get into Margaritaville around 3ish... that way we can get done early, head back into the park and start the night off early...

Mfarquar
06-30-2011, 09:34 PM
Sounds like you have a very good plan, sir!

If you like to be scared silly, you're in for a treat! :jaw:

DizneyFreak2002
06-30-2011, 09:58 PM
Bring on the scary... We decided to do real Halloween, not some kiddie Halloween show that never changes and only gets worse year after year.. :)

NJGIRL
07-01-2011, 08:57 AM
The plan right now is to try to get into Margaritaville around 3ish... that way we can get done early, head back into the park and start the night off early...

Great plan, but make sure you have reservations. That place gets packed. We had reservations for 5:00 last year and still had to wait about 30 mins. At 3:00 you shouldn't have that kind of problem but I would make them anyway since you have a time frame you want to be out of there. BTW I thought the food there was very good.

DizneyFreak2002
07-11-2011, 07:12 PM
OK, update: I booked Margaritaville on OpenTables.com... Then called and verified my reservation... and it worked.. I booked for 4:00 in the afternoon on the night we plan to do HHN... I also booked Mythos on this site...

Mfarquar
07-11-2011, 11:14 PM
Cool! I didn't realize that Open Table booked these restaurants! Great to know - I use it all the time at home and I actually have enough points for a $40 gift certificate! I might have to save it for our Sept. trip... Thanks for sharing!

Just keep in mind - the gates to the park normally close sharply at 5pm to prepare for HHN. You might have to really boogie if you plan to get into the holding area.

NJGIRL
07-12-2011, 08:27 AM
OK, update: I booked Margaritaville on OpenTables.com... Then called and verified my reservation... and it worked.. I booked for 4:00 in the afternoon on the night we plan to do HHN...

I hope you will be OK, but I don't think you will make it back in time. We had a reservation last Oct at 5:00 and had to wait 30 mins to be seated. Even if you are seated right away, by the time you order and eat you still have to get back to the gate and make it in before 5:00. I think your time frame may be too tight.

DizneyFreak2002
07-12-2011, 10:07 AM
I went back to OpenTables.com and modified my reservation for 3:00 instead of 4:00... Think 3:00 is better???

OpenTables seems like an awesome service... My friend actually told me this is the service Universal consierge uses when booking dining for their guests...

NJGIRL
07-12-2011, 12:51 PM
IMO 3:00 is much better. Probably not alot of people eating then (I think at 4:00 people may have early dinners). You should have enough time to get back into the park before closing.

I've never heard of this service. I have to look into it because if you call Universal directly they will not take a reservation until 30 days prior.:(

Mfarquar
07-12-2011, 06:07 PM
Agree! Great call moving to 3pm! :)

I LOVE Open Table. The convenience and rewards are great. I have a great ap on my Droid phone that allows you to book reservations anywhere. I love using it for Boston's restaurant weeks (and any weekend out) and also when I visit "home" in NJ and NYC. I highly recommend it - the reward certificates are great too! :)

I have also found that the majority of restaurants they handle reservations for are a bit pricier, they are definitely of good quality. It's a fun site to check out when you're feeling adventurous as well.

Thanks again to DisneyFreak2002 for sharing that some of the Universal restaurants are included! :)

Mfarquar
07-12-2011, 06:26 PM
I just booked Finnegan's for the two nights we'll be there for HHN opening weekend!

We've never had a problem just walking in, but at least we'll get 200 points. Plus, we'll be able to use our $40 in reward gift certificates there :)

Thanks so much!

DizneyFreak2002
07-12-2011, 10:53 PM
Agree! Great call moving to 3pm! :)

I LOVE Open Table. The convenience and rewards are great. I have a great ap on my Droid phone that allows you to book reservations anywhere. I love using it for Boston's restaurant weeks (and any weekend out) and also when I visit "home" in NJ and NYC. I highly recommend it - the reward certificates are great too! :)

I have also found that the majority of restaurants they handle reservations for are a bit pricier, they are definitely of good quality. It's a fun site to check out when you're feeling adventurous as well.

Thanks again to DisneyFreak2002 for sharing that some of the Universal restaurants are included! :)

I just booked Finnegan's for the two nights we'll be there for HHN opening weekend!

We've never had a problem just walking in, but at least we'll get 200 points. Plus, we'll be able to use our $40 in reward gift certificates there :)

Thanks so much!

No problem... My friend who used to work for Loews Hotels has connections still at the resorts... He told me to try OpenTables as Universal Consierge uses it to book reservations for their guests...