PDA

View Full Version : Tea at Grand Floridian

darthmacho
06-24-2011, 05:44 PM
My wife expressed interest in having tea with our DD's at the Grand Floridian. Though this wouldn't take place until next year's trip or the year after, I thought I'd start researching it, and what better place to start than here? :mickey:

Anyway, what is it all about? I know there's an Alice themed kid's tea, but can a Mom and two DDs aged 8 and 11 enjoy tea together at the Grand Floridian? If so, how does it work? Any details, such as cost, dress code, or other particulars would be helpful! Thanks! :thanks:

faline
06-24-2011, 06:37 PM
There is a lovely tea at the Grand Floridian. One does not actually need to have tea. The sandwiches are neat and the desserts are wonderful! (I opted for champagne instead of teach and I can tell you there was a steady stream of champagne glasses being delivered all around the room!) While it doesn't seem like a lot of food, we did not leave feeling hungry!

darthmacho
06-24-2011, 06:41 PM
There is a lovely tea at the Grand Floridian. One does not actually need to have tea. The sandwiches are neat and the desserts are wonderful! (I opted for champagne instead of teach and I can tell you there was a steady stream of champagne glasses being delivered all around the room!) While it doesn't seem like a lot of food, we did not leave feeling hungry!

So, is it like a lunch? Something for which you have to have an ADR? Or is it more informal? Would it be something two girls and a mom would enjoy?

faline
06-24-2011, 07:54 PM
It's sort of like a lunch but not exactly. You do need advanced dining reservations as it's very popular. Mom and girls would definitely enjoy it. My husband wasn't the only man in the room but he was certainly in the minority.

Friend of Figment
06-24-2011, 08:58 PM
The kids version is quite expensive, but includes an American Girls type doll. I believe it is around $295 for Mom and the first girl and the second child is around $100.

The afternoon tea you order from a menu and it costs much less. You do need an ADR. I think it would be lovely for a mom and daughters (although I have seen plenty of men and boys there).

wonderalice23
06-26-2011, 03:30 PM
My husband and I enjoy the tea on almost every vacation! We are both tea drinkers, so this is a must do! The tea, sandwiches and desserts are wonderful - and there are other offerings as well. I recommend the strawberries!:thumbsup:

teambricker04
06-26-2011, 03:55 PM
Tea at GF is one of my favorite memories! I went with my mom a few years ago and she loved it too. We went straight from the park and as it is WDW, most people were dressed for the parks. You can dress up though and not feel out of place. The tea and food choices are excellent! I still dream of the Devonshire cream :cloud9:

I think the afternoon tea for an 11yo & 8yo would be lots of fun! Old enough to enjoy it and sit for it. My DSs would be climbing the walls :)

Renfairwedding
06-26-2011, 09:03 PM
I make sure to take time out to treat my awesome DW to a little relaxing time enjoying the good tea and tasty treats.

Its a must each time we go.

pigletpie
06-26-2011, 10:32 PM
I was about 8 yrs old the first time I had "high tea" with my parents in British Columbia during a trip we took to Canada (not talking about EPCOT) in 1986. I LOVED IT! To this day I am a tea drinker.

We've (my DH and I) had tea at the Garden View Lounge several times and we always plan it as our lunch as well since there are the finger sandwiches, desserts and strawberry shortcake. :tasty:

But the most special one at the Grand Floridian was in 2002. It was 22 days before my disney wedding - we were up there for a meeting with the hairstylist & it happened to be my mom's 60th bday. I made ADR and let the reservations cm know it was my mom's bday but we were keeping it a surprise. It was fabulous...a memory my mom and I will always treasure. She even asked me if I remember having high tea at the Victoria Hotel & of course I did which was why I planned this one. At the end of the tea the cast brought out a GIANT cupcake for my mom and sang to her. She was in tears.:party2::joy:

I would definitely encourage you to have high tea at the Garden View Lounge with your family. I think it will be the start of wonderful memories for your girls.

darthmacho
06-27-2011, 11:00 AM
Thanks for all the info everyone! I wouldn't object to joining them, but I think the idea of the tea time would be to have the girls spend a little time alone with their Mom, and hopefully start a new family tradition. We'll see how things fare as we get closer to an actual trip. :mickey:

Fastpasssteve
07-01-2011, 03:10 AM
At least once a year, my two friends and I go to WDW. We are all male and only I am gay. The other two are painfully straight (one engaged). We love going to the Afternoon Tea once per trip. It is a lovely pause from the speed, spin, and twirl of a day in the parks. The Grand Floridian is a gracious space and the tea is lovely. They love the food. The womanizer in the group (he will flirt with any woman, regardless of age or type) loved a particular tea so much, the waitress brought him a take-out box filled with this particular blend made especially for the GF. The food tastes great and we get to chill out in the A/C regroup before the evening's activities begin. Plus, we have fun. One year we each wore a monacle to tea!

Here's the deal:
If you want your daughters and wife to have some 'girl time,' fine. Great.

If you bow out because you think afternoon tea is a 'girl thing,' you need to rethink your motivation...not to mention, you'll be missing out on a very special family moment.

darthmacho
07-01-2011, 07:39 AM
@fastpasssteve:

"We love going to the Afternoon Tea once per trip." Thank you for sharing your tradition, because the memories you share with your friends are exactly what I hope my DW and DDs will share someday as well!

"One year we each wore a monacle to tea!" That genuinely made me smile! :D

"Here's the deal:
If you want your daughters and wife to have some 'girl time,' fine. Great." That's exactly what we are looking for, and it was DW's idea and wish, something she brought up when I asked her about a WDW "bucket list". Despite being left out, I think it's a fabulous idea.

"If you bow out because you think afternoon tea is a 'girl thing,' you need to rethink your motivation...not to mention, you'll be missing out on a very special family moment." I'm not bowing out, as I wasn't formally invited. It's not the girlie aspect that gives me pause, as I spend a great deal of time doing all kinds of girlie with them, including watching iCarly, lol. I have to admit, however, the upscale, dressy nature of it makes me cringe a little. Believe me, I'd love to get my hands on those finger sandwiches and puff pastries! As for missing family time, I think I can give them a little alone time, considering I'm the driving force behind almost every other moment of our WDW trips. The three of them could probably use a break from me! :trio:

:mickey:

wildernesslady
07-01-2011, 10:09 AM
We have gone to the tea two times. Both were great. We got package that includes tea, tea sandwiches, and a dessert. I think it is called the Buchingham. We were quite full after so be sure not to plan an early ADR for dinner.