PDA

View Full Version : Cell Phones!?!?!

jaredkari
06-23-2011, 09:55 AM
My wife and I are at WDW as I write this post. It has been a little over a year since our last week long stay at WDW and we have really began to notice cell phone use is way up.

Now I have a cell phone myself and I text and check messages and everything like that, BUT, I do not wait in line for an hour for an attraction only to sit there and text or check the lastest baseball score throughout the ride ruining it for people seated behind me!!!!!:mad: I just do not see the logic in that!!!:confused: Also you are on vacation put the cell phone away and spend time with your family.

And it is not just teenage kids doing this. It is adults ignoring their children throughout dinners and yelling at their kids when they try to interrupt them while they are texting someone very important (hint of sarcasm).

Sorry I just had to get this off my chest but cell phones are just getting ridiculous!!!!! TURN THEM OFF!!!!!:mad:

K8screen
06-23-2011, 10:01 AM
I absolutely agree! There should be a ban on using them on rides, like there is in theatres and cinemas, and like there was on flash photography.

laprana
06-23-2011, 10:02 AM
I agree and I noticed the exact same thing on our trip in May. There were soooo many people of all ages (even young kids!) with their noses practically pressed to their cell phone screens. I just kept thinking, "These people paid all this money for a Disney vacation and all they're going to see is their cell phone!" I just don't get it. :confused:

LVT
06-23-2011, 10:05 AM
Cell phone manners need to be developed to go with the extensive usage.
I do not see this developing soon, though.
It seems to me like there is a vanity tied to our strong social ties. We want people to like to hear from us and be friends with huge groups.

Look at driver use, even strong laws don't seem to be making much dent in it.

DVC2004
06-23-2011, 10:11 AM
Well, unfortunately it's like this everywhere. You seldom go anywhere anymore and not see people of all ages paying more attention to their phones than their surroundings or friends/family. People feel the need to be constantly entertained/distracted or whatever.

DisneyDINK
06-23-2011, 10:13 AM
The good news is Disney can stop theming the queues because everyone's faces are burried in their cell phones. That ought to save them some money. Why try so hard to entertain them when they can entertain themselves.

There ought to be more adds for Disney apps and websites within the parks so Disney doesn't lost gift shop revenues to people engrossed in their cyber world. Why didn't Epcot or Tomorrowland see this coming?

How many ride wait time apps are there now for WDW anyhow?

KylesMom
06-23-2011, 10:17 AM
Sorry I just had to get this off my chest but cell phones are just getting ridiculous!!!!! TURN THEM OFF!!!!! Couldn't have said it better myself. There's nothing worse than trying to enjoy an attraction when someone is either yapping on their phone or turning a dark ride into an entirely different experience - like a light one. :( To me, it's the same as using external lighting or flash on a "no flash" ride!

Mickey'sGirl
06-23-2011, 10:21 AM
I agree. The most important people in my life are with me, and anything else can wait until I have a chance to check my messages.

Melanie
06-23-2011, 10:21 AM
I will admit I'm on my phone a lot when I'm at Disney, and mainly it's to tweet. Just trying to bring some Disney magic to our Twitter followers. I do try and be courteous though, and am very aware of lighted screens, etc.

Rosanne
06-23-2011, 10:26 AM
Whenever I want to whip out my phone while at the parks (other than to tweet or post a photo) I think about Walt Disney. Walt Disney created "The Florida Project" and Walt Disney World because he felt that Disneyland offered too many distractions right outside the gates. He said that he hated that you could see the traffic on the highway from Tomorrowland. He bought all the property at WDW because he wanted to keep up the show. He wanted people to be fully immersed in the experience. Unfortunately, since the invention of cell phones, it has become completely impossible to do so.

biodtl
06-23-2011, 10:32 AM
I never use my phone during rides, nor do I talk loudly or do anything to ruin other people's experience, but I do occasionally send updates to twitter and facebook. But most of the time, I am checking email, etc.

It would be nice if everyone could just "turn them off" but unfortunately, many people have to stay checked in with work. I work for a wonderful company and have a lot of vacation and benefits, but my work is very client based and deadlines are deadlines. If I waited until there was no work to take a vacation, I'd never get to go. My husband is self-employed and he too has to check on things when we are gone.

If someone is interfering with your enjoyment of a ride, then it's understandable to get upset, but if they are not bothering anyone, then what's the problem? If they are wasting their money by being on cell phones, it's their problem.

jaredkari
06-23-2011, 10:35 AM
I am glad I am not the only one who feels this way. I just don't understand why WDW could not make an announcement before the ride stating no cell phone use during the ride like they do with flash photos or video (although that doesn't usually stop people) At least it might discourage it a little.

btharvey
06-23-2011, 10:37 AM
The good news is Disney can stop theming the queues because everyone's faces are buried in their cell phones.

This is good news? :sadwave:

caryrae
06-23-2011, 11:44 AM
I don't think they can be called cell phones anymore since they do much more then make phone calls. I do take my iPhone with me but I use it to take pictures or video and have the phone part turned off because I don't need phone calls while on vacation.

BrerGnat
06-23-2011, 12:19 PM
I am 100% okay with people using smart phones in lines. Lines are boring. I see people reading books in line, kids playing on handheld video games. Nothing wrong with either, I don't think. Honestly, sometimes you just want some time to veg out, and while in line for a ride seems like the perfect time to do so. No one likes waiting in line. And, if you spend ALL DAY with your family anyway, I don't see the harm in doing something non productive and non-interactive while in a line. Everyone needs some alone time each day.

Now, I HATE to see parents on their phones during meals with their kids when the kids are obviously making an effort to engage the parents. HATE it. Put the darn phone away while you're having a meal. There's no need for that.

However, I do admit to using mine during mealtimes sometimes. I can't help it. I often go out with my 2 sons alone to meals when my DH is away. Both my kids have autism, and "socializing" isn't something that they do, even at the table. They basically ignore me (us). If they are not kept busy with something, they just simply can't sit at the table more than a few minutes. So, we rely on our phones to provide entertainment for them, or we show them family photos/videos or whatever (same goes for attraction lines). You gotta do what you gotta do sometimes. I wish my kids would talk to me and have normal conversations and stuff, but they don't. :(

I think, as a society, we need to either loathe the technology (and NOT use it), or if we are going to use it, accept the changes that it brings with it. Times change, and you can mourn the loss of the "old way", but if you refuse to embrace the "new way", you'll eventually just get left behind.

My kids both struggle very much with social skills, but their ability to use and innately understand technology (real technology, as in computers, not iphones) fascinates me. And, I don't necessarily find it a negative. If that's the way the world is going, I'm happy my kids will have at least those skills at the ready.

Ramblingman
06-23-2011, 12:34 PM
Sadly, this is merely a microcosm of the world as we know it today. Go to any theater and you will see plenty of cell phones lighting up and ruining the experience for others despite a dozen reminders on the screen before the movie starts.

Watch any road nowadays. Drivers have completely forgotten how to merge. Turn lanes are a device for speeding past others in order to jump over right in front of them just before you slam on your brakes because of traffic.

People will push into checkout lines. Speed checkout lanes for 10 or less items will have full carts in line.

Anywhere there are a gathering of people, you are guaranteed at least one person who is yapping away on their phone loudly enough for everyone to hear their conversation, and the louder they are is inversely proportional to how interesting they are.

There was a story a couple of weeks ago about a woman thrown off a train in Seattle. She had boarded the train in Oakland, went into a "quiet" car that expressly forbids cell phone usage, and talked...for 16 hours straight before almost getting into a fight with other passengers who were complaining.

Okay, I'll hop down now and put away the soapbox. I'm beginning to sound like the grumpy old man that I am.

kakn7294
06-23-2011, 01:10 PM
I have to disagree to some extent. I do think that it's rude to be on the phone while on an attraction but otherwise, if it doesn't directly affect you and they are polite about it, then why does it bother everyone so much when someone is on their phone? If someone wants to spend their time talking or texting, that's their business and not mine.

brian2000boston
06-23-2011, 01:26 PM
Kathy,

I fully agree!

ransam
06-23-2011, 01:53 PM
i can honestly say that i haven't noticed people on their cell phones. I'm too busy having fun!

AmandaChan
06-23-2011, 02:29 PM
I don't see anything wrong with checking them while you're in line but not on an attraction. Haha some people might just need a little break from their families considering you hardly get any privacy or time to check your email at the hotel probably. I never check my phone at dinner or let my spouse do so. He's not the cell phone type anyways... Half the time I didn't want to dig out my cell phone or was too busy with LO to do so. I can't really say I noticed a lot of people using their phones a few weeks ago. Sorry you are having bad luck!

AmandaChan
06-23-2011, 02:32 PM
I will admit I'm on my phone a lot when I'm at Disney, and mainly it's to tweet. Just trying to bring some Disney magic to our Twitter followers. I do try and be courteous though, and am very aware of lighted screens, etc.

ha and that reminds me they have a new app where you can check wait times and fast pass returns for disney world. maybe people are just trying to manage their vacation because that's just how our world works now!
:geek:

MaxPower
06-23-2011, 02:38 PM
I agree that it is out of control, but here's another twist:

Last year, a good friend of mine took his family to Walt Disney World and he is very tech-savvy. He created a blog that he would update almost hourly with photos and a timeline of where they were any given day.

He did everything on his I-phone- Took pictures of the kids, updated the blog, tweeted and facebooked links to the blog. I imagine he must have had his eyes on his cell phone the entire time - but for him, it made his Disney vacation one he could share with everyone back home plus he has a real-time online version of the trip that he and his family can visit anytime they want.

So I guess sometimes people on their phones might be sharing the Disney experience rather than ignoring it.

Simba'sBud
06-23-2011, 03:09 PM
I'm also one of those who has to admit cell phone usage on rides occasionally but I try my best to be very discreet about it. Actually, on rides I don't talk into my phone at all. I have a niece and a couple of others in my family who are either Disney NUTS like me and my DW or they have never been to Disney and appreciate hearing what some of the rides are like.

In other words, I'm bringing the person on the other end of the line onto the ride with me for the experience! Like I said, I try to keep this sort of thing hidden from the rest of those around me so as not to be a distraction or a nuisance of any kind.

As far as using them in line...well...I honestly have to say that I enjoy the queues too much or I may get it out to snap a photo to send to some of those at home, but I never get my nose stuck to the screen for whatever reason. Like someone posted earlier in this thread, if people would just use a little common courtesy (or better yet, common sense) then most of us would never notice it to the point where it bothered us. And the problem is that there are tons of people out there who possess neither of these. :unsure:

dnickels
06-23-2011, 04:09 PM
It does seem to get more and more pervasive every year and will probably continue to do so as more people switch to smart phones. At least until Skynet takes over I think we're just stuck with it.

As far as sharing it with all the family and friends at home, I enjoy seeing what my family and friends are up to.......to a point. A few updates per day are one thing, a running list of every ride they're going on and the wait times, and the food they eat and on and on and on just gets their news feed (to use the facebook example) hidden for awhile.

Figment104
06-23-2011, 04:45 PM
I'm one of those that actually leaves my cell phone in the room when we go out to the parks and then will check for any missed calls or texts when we come back for a break. Even then I will only return calls for family and really close friends. Since it's only me and DH I can do this pretty easily, but I have a feeling on our next trip the cell phone will be coming with us to the park since we'll have a little one with us along with my parents and we'll probably be splitting up a bit. So for efficiency we'll probably use the phones to re-connect a bit. I'm actually pretty bummed about it since I love being completely unconnected when I'm at the parks.

I don't mind so much when others are using theirs, so long as it's not on the rides or they're not being obnixious about it. Aside from that they can do what they want.

Fastpasssteve
06-24-2011, 01:30 AM
My group of friends use them to take photos and meet up when we are in different areas of the park (usually EPCOT). I might be shopping and they might be in Germany cruising the CMs, and we need to meet up, we will text or call.

However, we would never use our phones during an attraction. Plus, we enjoy each other's company!

micky95
06-24-2011, 07:15 AM
i just dont get having to be in constant contact with someone on the phone.whether your talking or texting or whatever else there is.i have my own business and im not on the phone as much as some people are.my phone only has a camera which comes in handy when looking at jobs .take a picture and i dont have to remember every detail.we do use the phone if we go with my mil and aunt.they have their agenda and we can meet up later .other than that its phone off and enjoying my vacation.:mickey:

TinkerbellFan16
06-24-2011, 09:59 AM
While I am in line, I use my cell phone. I am a genuine multi-tasker. I talk to my family, but also text my friends. They all love Disney, and we usually talk about stuff that is new, different, or just our favorites. I never use my phone on rides simply because I am too afraid I would drop it. The only time I have used one on an attraction was Small World, but it was on vibrate so no sound could be heard, and also my screen brightness is always on the lowest possible setting. I usually only use my phone to call people in times where there is not much going on (Waiting for parades or fireworks or something of the sort) and it is usually to call family that did not come with us to say hi, goodnight, talk about the day, stuff that we would usually talk about at dinner every night. So I really don't see a problem with my kind of use of a cell phone. But with ANYTHING, there are people who take it a step too far.

brivers222
06-24-2011, 11:34 AM
I will be on my phone often this trip... mainly playing around with the Undercovertourist app for disney wait times...

If everyone put their phones away, then how could the wait times be updated for accuracy?!

Dsnygirl
06-24-2011, 11:45 AM
I agree. The most important people in my life are with me, and anything else can wait until I have a chance to check my messages.

I feel the same way... although I will admit to having to realize it on our last trip, when I had a new cell phone.

It had "bells and whistles" that my prior phone hadn't had, and I was able to stay in closer contact with people than I had been able to prior trips, and I found myself constantly on my phone on the buses, checking in and catching up. Near the end of our trip, the bus arrived back at our resort after a day at MK, and I realized that I hadn't seen a thing on the way "home", I hadn't really chatted with my girls or my DH (who was also on his new phone, mostly b/c I was on mine... :blush:) and my girls had silently sat and chatted b/w themselves. What upset me was the realization that on every other trip, we would have spent the ride back talking about what we had done, all our favorites, what we wanted to do the next day... and none of that had happened. :( So, I made a promise to myself to save my phone use for in the room while we were getting ready to go or for bed, or for some time when I had a few moments to myself.

What kills me now in the parks is what some of the other posters have mentioned... people not even looking at what's around them, and instead, spend most of their time with their heads buried in their phones. I've seen people walk down Main St., tripping over other folk or over the curbs, trying to text or whatever else they're doing, not looking at the stores, or the castle, or god forbid, talking to their families. So sad!!

I wonder how many of these people will get home and look at pictures and think.... "Hmmm... I don't remember this... " :confused:

SelfmadeWade
06-24-2011, 12:39 PM
The only time I have used one on an attraction was Small World, but it was on vibrate so no sound could be heard, and also my screen brightness is always on the lowest possible setting.

Sorry, but this is a pet peeve of mine and I think it's a good example of what everyone is talking about here.

Setting your screen brightness to its lowest possible setting does not matter. Others around you still see it and it's annoying. But it's interesting that people think they are being accommodating by adjusting it.

It would be the same as two people in a movie theater saying that they know they should not talk during the movie, but they lowered their voices to be considerate. The point is that they should not be talking at all.

garymacd
06-24-2011, 04:09 PM
...And I felt bad about studying for a promotional exam and process while standing in line some 9 or 10 years ago.

My kids thought I was crazy, but they accepted it. That was in the days before smart phones. I used index cards.

Mickey91
06-25-2011, 12:29 AM
As the mother of two teens, I will use my phone to text when my kids are off riding and exploring in other parts of the park from where I am. It is our way of allowing them freedom and me the peace of mind that I know where they are at any given moment. They let me know when they get in line and when they get off a ride and where they are heading next. It helps me to enjoy my time alone with DH and not worry as much.

DisneyFr33k
06-25-2011, 06:18 AM
100% agree! I think Disney needs to create a new ad campaign - "Don't Text and Walk". I've been run over and bumped into dozens of times by people texting and not watching where they are going. I feel like I am walking around a obstacle course with all the nomad-texters!!

Ian
06-25-2011, 08:21 AM
One thing I love about INTERCOT ... we're never judgemental around here. :shake:

Now listen before I say this let me preface it by being clear that rude or obnoxious use of mobile devices is not okay. I'm not cool with talking loudly on your phone during rides or shows or things like that.

But the truth is, whether I like it or not, I have to be in contact with my office when I'm on vacation. It's just part of my job. You can like it or not like it or accuse me of being one of those faux important people if you want, but it's just a simple fact. When I'm out, people still need to get a hold of me and if I don't pick up their call or answer their text or email I won't likely be going to Disney World anymore because I'll be out of a job.

Trust me ... I envy those who can be totally free from the office while they're away, but there are many of us who just can't. We're not pretending to be important and (as in my case) probably aren't that important anyway. Maybe we work for a small company (like I do) where there isn't a whole slew of people sitting around waiting to back us up while we're on vacation.

Instead of being so bitter and angry about it, how about a little sympathy for those of us who'd love to be able to spend all of dinner talking with our families and chatting up our kids, but just don't have that option.

Climbing down from my soapbox now ....

TheVBs
06-25-2011, 09:05 AM
Ian, I do understand where you're coming from, but I'm afraid that you're likely to be the rare exception. Most people glued to their mobile devices aren't guaranteeing their job security, they're doing mindless stuff.

Thankfully, we've never encountered this problem on a ride, and hopefully we never will! I also think it's time for WDW to add "mobile devices" to their "no flash photography" speech. They should be turned off on the rides, because the ride is supposed to be an immersive experience for everyone. What about the people like Ian, who definitely can't be out of touch for a few minutes? I honestly don't have a good answer for that.

We leave cell phones in the room, we're not on Facebook, we don't Tweet or blog, but even if we did do those things we would lose all interest in them on a WDW trip. Not begrudging others their choice to do those things! Just don't think it's unreasonable to expect them to be courteous while doing it. Don't do it on rides, or in shows. Take a seat while you do it so you don't cause an accident.

We like to keep in touch with family while we're there too. Every two or three days we call them from the room in the evening. If we tried to update them several times a day on what we were doing, I'm pretty sure they'd think we were certifiable. :mickey:

BelleBeauty
06-25-2011, 09:41 AM
I completely agree! My DH and I actually just decided that for our November trip we are going to go "old school." We'll pick a place to meet in case we get separated and leave our phones in the room. This is the only way for both of us (admittedly addicted blackberry and iphone users) to not work while we are trying to enjoy our WDW vacation! :mickey:

DizneyRox
06-25-2011, 09:50 AM
I can't think of anything that can't wait the few minutes it takes to complete a ride. There's no excuse for texting/talking/etc while on a ride.

In the queue, lines, tables in restaurants, do whatever you want, I could care less, but on the rides, turn it off. If there is something that absolutely can't wait, then you probably shouldn't be on the ride.

tiggerbuddy
06-25-2011, 10:46 AM
Sadly, this is merely a microcosm of the world as we know it today.

Just the other day on my way to work, I saw 6 kids waiting for the school bus..Not one of them was talking/playing with another kid.They ALL had their heads down texting away....:ack:

seanyred
06-25-2011, 11:03 AM
Hello, My Name is Sean, and I'm a smartphone addict :secret: All kidding aside I understand people want to be on their phones for various reasons. What I don't understand is people who don't understand common courtesy of others.

My best example was during our last trip we were in line for the Haunted Mansion. This lady was talking on her phone in the line. As we approached the entrance I was hoping she would end her call. No such luck. She continued to talk through the entire stretch room scene!!! Imagine if this was your first time on the attraction, how horrible of that person.

Jared
06-25-2011, 11:15 AM
I'm on my cellphone a fair amount at Disney, too, partially for the same reason. I love tweeting pictures and updates from the parks for my friends and followers. I don't think this thread should turn into a referendum on smartphones and the benefits (or problems) of the world's increased reliance on technology. That's not relevant right now. Regardless of your opinion on the issue, people are going to play with their phones in the parks and in queues for a variety of reasons -- for work, like Ian, or just for fun. I won't begrudge anybody for that. Heck, I can't do my job without keeping an eye on baseball scores each day, so I'm tuned into ESPN.com regularly on vacation.

The issue here is whether or not guests use their cellphones appropriately! An attraction (or attraction pre-show) is no different than a movie or live theater production. Cellphones should go on vibrate and not be answered under any circumstance. Perhaps Disney Cast Members should add cellphones to the attraction spiels, lumped in with flash photography. On a dark ride like The Haunted Mansion or Pirates of the Caribbean, the two have the same effect.

tiggerbuddy
06-25-2011, 11:15 AM
Bingo !!!

What I don't understand is people who don't understand common courtesy of others. :thumbsup:

Melanie
06-25-2011, 11:26 AM
The issue here is whether or not guests use their cellphones appropriately! An attraction (or attraction pre-show) is no different than a movie or live theater production. Cellphones should go on vibrate and not be answered under any circumstance. Perhaps Disney Cast Members should add cellphones to the attraction spiels, lumped in with flash photography. On a dark ride like The Haunted Mansion or Pirates of the Caribbean, the two have the same effect.

Exactly! It's really no one's business why I'm on my phone/tweeting if I'm using it appropriately (stepping aside or sitting down while typing, talking on phone in acceptable areas).

Everyone should have courtesy for others in all situations, but unfortunately we all know that's not always the case.

JPL
06-25-2011, 12:02 PM
I understand that people are upset about others being rude and inconsiderate at WDW while using their Cellphones but that's the issue people not the technology. A technology that Disney has embraced with the Mobile Magic App, Disney World Mobile site, along with teaming up with Gowalla and other companies using apps to enhance the guest experience. Disney now even prefers to send a text message with your room assignment and has an in park texting service for update throughout your trip. To me people being inconsiderate and rude using their phones is no different than people talking loudly on rides or taking flash pictures. I use my phone in the park to take and share pictures and videos. I also use it to meet up with friends at the parks. My phone also usually has all the confirmation numbers for my ADRs stored in it. I tend to use it more when I'm on a solo trip but never while on rides. But what is wrong with me calling home to talk to friends or family?

MNNHFLTX
06-25-2011, 04:19 PM
I don't think there's anything wrong with folks checking messages, sending pictures, tweeting and texting here and there, especially when they're waiting in line. And I do appreciate those who are considerate in their use of their cell phones on rides and in attractions. I think it goes a bit overboard when I see people bury their head in their phone every free moment they have. The minute they get off a ride the phone comes out and their eyes stay glued to it until the next attraction they enter. It's kind of like watching a chain-smoker. They're missing out on face-to-face human interaction, which seems to me to be the point of going to WDW.

I do use my cell phone at Disney World too, but enjoy the scenery too much to be on it constantly.:mickey:

kakn7294
06-26-2011, 05:55 AM
Let's face it, the vast majority of "rude" guests who inappropriately use their cell phones would be those same people who would just find another way to be rude.

Jared
06-26-2011, 07:24 AM
Let's face it, the vast majority of "rude" guests who inappropriately use their cell phones would be those same people who would just find another way to be rude.
Great point. Jeff said it best: The technology is not the problem; people are the problem.

:)

Melanie
06-26-2011, 08:53 AM

Right on Kathy! :thumbsup:

luvdiznee
06-26-2011, 08:59 AM
I agree with the points made previously as far as being on cellphones (talking loudly) while on rides is just like the ones who disregard the rules of usage of "flash photography". They are all in the same boat as far as their levels of rudeness.

For me, as long as my immediate family is with me (DD & DS) there aren't too many more concerns while in the World. I don't even carry me cellphone with me, it is usually back in the room, off and locked away. Of course I do have other family members and my time to catch up with them is when we are back in the room for the night. But that's just me.

There's just too much to do while on vacation. Besides the pictures I post at night speak volumes!:cloud9:

ryca1dreams
06-26-2011, 09:21 AM
I realized (after about 7 back-to-back trips) that I spent a good deal of time video-ing our trips and not as much time actually enjoying the experience. Still had a good time, but wish I hadn't had my nose stuck behind a video camera the whole time. So, I could care less what people do when they are there. I learned my "error" of overuse.

However, if someone is causing a disruption (talking in the HM stretch room or running into me while texting, for example) I have no problem saying "excuse me, can you keep it down" very politely or even a sarcastic "my bad - I was in your way". It usually helps.

MississippiDisneyFreak
06-26-2011, 10:18 AM
As the mother of two teens, I will use my phone to text when my kids are off riding and exploring in other parts of the park from where I am. It is our way of allowing them freedom and me the peace of mind that I know where they are at any given moment. They let me know when they get in line and when they get off a ride and where they are heading next. It helps me to enjoy my time alone with DH and not worry as much.

While I agree with the original poster cell phone usage is getting out of hand and people shouldn't use them during an attraction and ruin other's experiences.....I will be carrying mine around this trip because it will be the first time I allow my teen to explore the park on his own. I will be texting him from time to time to make sure he is okay and to let him know where to meet us if the need arises....but I won't do this in the middle of a ride, in line perhaps, but not on the ride

Dsnygirl
06-26-2011, 10:44 AM
Trust me ... I envy those who can be totally free from the office while they're away, but there are many of us who just can't. We're not pretending to be important and (as in my case) probably aren't that important anyway. Maybe we work for a small company (like I do) where there isn't a whole slew of people sitting around waiting to back us up while we're on vacation.

Instead of being so bitter and angry about it, how about a little sympathy for those of us who'd love to be able to spend all of dinner talking with our families and chatting up our kids, but just don't have that option.

Climbing down from my soapbox now ....

Ian, I hear you loud & clear on what has to be your reality while at Disney... but I am also reasonably sure that you aren't exhibiting any of the behaviors that seem to be drawing such ire around here.

You may need to accept and make calls, but I highly doubt you accept them in the middle of a ride, or spend your day talking/texting down the middle of a packed street/ride queue, etc. Like most business professionals, you might answer the call immediately after stepping off the ride, but I'm sure you step aside to a quiet spot and take care of what you need to do.

And I don't think anyone is questioning the need to answer or make calls -- no matter if they're in a line, on a bus, in a queue or on the monorail. It happens -- whether it's family from home, business, or a friend in another park changing where you're meeting them. I don't think anyone minds that kind of stuff.

It's the mindless use of them during rides, the walking into people while texting (incessantly) down the middle of a street and not watching out for those around you...

And granted, we can't always tell the difference b/w what might be a "mindless" use of a phone, and what might have been an emergency call from home that just had to be taken. And for those of us with teens that need to be checked in with, we may need to be just a bit more aware of what is hitting our phone.

So, I guess the harsh judgement could be notched down a bit.

But I think, for the most part, what drives people crazy is what you KNOW is the constant, unnecessary & rude use of them in times and places that it is just inappropriate to have them out.

Just my :twocents:....

TinkerbellFan16
06-26-2011, 03:21 PM
Sorry, but this is a pet peeve of mine and I think it's a good example of what everyone is talking about here.

Setting your screen brightness to its lowest possible setting does not matter. Others around you still see it and it's annoying. But it's interesting that people think they are being accommodating by adjusting it.

It would be the same as two people in a movie theater saying that they know they should not talk during the movie, but they lowered their voices to be considerate. The point is that they should not be talking at all.

I actually appreciate you telling me this. I didn't realize that it was still annoying. :blush: Just because my family is fine with it doesn't mean everyone else is. I will remember this next time I go!

Gibbs
06-26-2011, 03:42 PM
My job requires me to be on call 24/7. Even when I'm on vacation, I have to stay connected to the office to some extent. So often I'm checking e-mail or texting someone in between attractions or in line queues. However, I never use my phone while on the attraction. To me its sacred ground. I'm not really bothered by people messaging during the attraction, as long as it not obstruction my view or ruining the atmosphere. If they want to spend their time on the phone after spending money get in the park, so be it.

marlyn
06-26-2011, 04:33 PM
When I go on vacation with my teens, their cell phones are put in the room safe. They never complain about not having them. I carry mine, but don't use it except to get ADR reminders forwarded to me.
I love the time I spend with my kids when they are "unplugged"
I do, however, understand that some people need to be connected to work and family. As long as they aren't talking on rides or while dining... I don't care.
When I see teens or kids constantly texting and not paying attention to what is going on around them while at Disney, i just look over at my boys and smile.

SandmanGStefani24
06-26-2011, 04:40 PM
Perhaps Disney Cast Members should add cellphones to the attraction spiels, lumped in with flash photography. On a dark ride like The Haunted Mansion or Pirates of the Caribbean, the two have the same effect.

Would that really make a difference?

EVERY ride I've been on has had flashes going off everywhere and videocameras going. Not to mention large bright view screens ruining the fun. It's only getting worse it seems. :mad:

Jared
06-26-2011, 06:15 PM
Would that really make a difference?
Call it wishful thinking.

You can't imagine how many times I've wanted to "stretch" my arms toward the person behind me and "accidentally" knock his camera into the waters of Pirates of the Caribbean.

If only I had guts.

mariak
06-26-2011, 07:17 PM
I agree to some extent too. I'm not big on Facebook and all the new stuff....it takes up a lot of time that should be spent focusing on the important things in life. I only signed up on Twitter to follow Intercot. Sometimes technology is not a good thing. We really need to stop and enjoy!

However, I am guilty of having my nose in my phone while at the parks....pretty much just checking and entering wait times....I even do that while I'm at home! Addictions are tough to break! My husband has commented that he wonders if there is such a thing as DAA (Disney Addicts Anonymous). At the moment, I’m suffering withdrawals from John and Melanie’s tweets from last week! Help!
:(

jaredkari
06-26-2011, 10:06 PM
Ok Ok I realize this thread I started has gotten a little heated and I apologize. I have no problem with people using their phones while in line or walking around the parks. It is just completely rude during rides and when you see people ignoring their children.

Several people have said they have to be in contact with their office or work. Can someone explain to me what job they have where they have to talk to the office at 1:30 am on a Sunday night during EMH???? What job requires instant response that cannot wait 1 and a half minutes until Peter Pan is over?? Who the heck are these people constantly texting!!!!:mad:

kakn7294
06-27-2011, 04:14 AM
It is just completely rude during rides and when you see people ignoring their children.
:My children are 11 and 16. They PREFER it if I ignore them. ;)

Melanie
06-27-2011, 09:23 AM
Ok Ok I realize this thread I started has gotten a little heated and I apologize. I have no problem with people using their phones while in line or walking around the parks. It is just completely rude during rides and when you see people ignoring their children.

Several people have said they have to be in contact with their office or work. Can someone explain to me what job they have where they have to talk to the office at 1:30 am on a Sunday night during EMH???? What job requires instant response that cannot wait 1 and a half minutes until Peter Pan is over?? Who the heck are these people constantly texting!!!!:mad:

I don't think this thread is heated at all. Just folks relaying their thoughts and experiences.

I doubt there is anyone doing business at 1:30am, but you never know. More than likely though, like it's been mentioned in this thread, it was just an enthusiastic Disney fan relaying their trip to others, and not realizing he/she was bothering those around them. Or maybe they did realize it....that would be the problem.

Ian
06-27-2011, 10:27 AM
I doubt there is anyone doing business at 1:30am ... Well there are these little things called time zones. :secret:

Trust me ... there are people who might have to be on the phone to take a business call at 1:30AM. That's only 10:30PM West Coast time and I often have clients and co-workers cranking at 10:30PM.

Melanie
06-27-2011, 10:33 AM
Well there are these little things called time zones. :secret:

Trust me ... there are people who might have to be on the phone to take a business call at 1:30AM. That's only 10:30PM West Coast time and I often have clients and co-workers cranking at 10:30PM.

I said 'but you never know', and you bring up good points. ;)

Aurora
06-27-2011, 12:50 PM
My children are 11 and 16. They PREFER it if I ignore them. ;)

:rotfl: I am in that club!

Wait until we have to deal with the next phase of rudeness -- recording on the iPad. I've already experienced this at my children's school, when I was sitting directly behind a dad who was completely blocking my view of the entire stage at a student band concert! Get ready...

Laughin' place
06-27-2011, 03:01 PM
"Can someone explain to me what job they have where they have to talk to the office at 1:30 am on a Sunday night during EMH???? "

Here's my answer:
I am a divorce and custody attorney, and the focus of my practice is on highly confrontational custody matters. These often involve abduction / unlawful removal of children from their home states. I also deal with a fair degree of domestic violence and spousal/child abuse.

With that as my 24/7 life at home, I would LOVE to lock my phone in the room safe or leave it behind . I would like to leave my clients in the hands on one of my capable coworkers for a week or two so I could get away.

They prefer that I be there for them, and in emergencies, I am. I ask that they not abuse cell/text/email on nights/weekends/vacations, and the majority of them respect that.

I am not suggesting that I or my job is "special" or "more important". I use my phone very discretely in public, theatres, and on vacation or at the World. My objection is not to people using their phones or being absorbed in them - I only wish others to use courtesy and not infringe on others' enjoyment of the parks or life in general (loud talkers, bright screens, ringing phones, etc.).

So, some posters dont "get" why others HAVE to answer a text or a call. My client calling me at 130am during EMH knows why I have to answer, and is the one who makes the magical trip possible for my sons and I .

magicalmom
06-28-2011, 12:34 AM
I'm grateful DH has a cellphone, or we couldn't leave home at all. He's got to be available 24/7. >sigh<

06-28-2011, 01:03 AM
Just wonder what all of those people that "just have to use the phone" did 10 years or so ago before cell phones became more available to everyone. We sure seemed to get by OK without them. Actually enjoyed the things around us without their associated distraction.

SandmanGStefani24
06-28-2011, 02:51 AM
Call it wishful thinking.

You can't imagine how many times I've wanted to "stretch" my arms toward the person behind me and "accidentally" knock his camera into the waters of Pirates of the Caribbean.

If only I had guts.

LOL you and me both!

But WDW brings out the best in me and I just let it go...

Hazmat
06-28-2011, 03:12 AM
As long as they don't interrupt my time and enjoyment I don't mind people using phones, the thing that really shocked me was in disneyland paris, there was a kid playing on his nintendo ds, whilst going round pirates. queue? Maybe? Ride? Why bother going? :(

marlyn
06-28-2011, 10:07 AM
I completely understand that adults may need to be available 24/7 for work calls, etc... And I have no problem with discreet use of phones at WDW.

I do have a problem with teens and children plugged in to cell phones, hand held games etc... For my own kids putting the phones away and leaving hand held games at home has been awesome for all of us. They interact and experience more. While they ignore me at home, I find we become closer and have so much fun together while away. They are different when I unplug them!! And really, what important business do kids have? Getting them away from the constant texting to friends about nothing is a good thing!!

princessgirls
06-28-2011, 10:48 AM
[QUOTE=BrerGnat;2182350]I am 100% okay with people using smart phones in lines. Lines are boring. I see people reading books in line, kids playing on handheld video games. Nothing wrong with either, I don't think. Honestly, sometimes you just want some time to veg out, and while in line for a ride seems like the perfect time to do so. No one likes waiting in line. And, if you spend ALL DAY with your family anyway, I don't see the harm in doing something non productive and non-interactive while in a line.

Amen Natalie...while my husband and I don't talk on our phones a whole lot, my husband is a lot happier when he can connect while on lines or during down time. We value family time, and engage in family conversation during dinner, and are not over the top with it at all.
Julie:mickey:

PirateLover
06-28-2011, 02:56 PM
Just wonder what all of those people that "just have to use the phone" did 10 years or so ago before cell phones became more available to everyone. We sure seemed to get by OK without them. Actually enjoyed the things around us without their associated distraction.
Businessmen/women certainly had cell phones 10 years ago...heck, I was 16 and I had my own. Before that, people had pagers/beepers. Before that people had answering services, or certain times they needed to find a phone and check in. Being tethered to a job is nothing new. At the same time, it's kind of "ahistorical" to compare life today to life 10-20 years ago. Job requirements and expectations have certainly adapted to the availability of technology.

Terra
06-28-2011, 04:07 PM
Well there are these little things called time zones. :secret:

True! One of my good friends travels regularly over seas for his business. He's made middle of the night calls to other countries where it's actually the afternoon there. [or morning? something like that! :)]

Anyway, It doesn't bother me at all. I'm generally having to much fun to notice others that much anyway :blush: Plus I admit, I'm on FB updating my status for fellow Disney nuts so they know what I'm doing at every turn!

Zawadi
06-28-2011, 05:48 PM
My mobile (cell), which is also my business 'phone stays off all time except an emergency. This is for 2 reasons roaming charges because it has a UK SIM and it's really hard to buy a USA SIM (without having to buy a "burn" 'phone).

I go to WDW for a vacation to get away for a while - not to use a 'phone all the time :)