PDA

View Full Version : Just booked Christmas trip!!!

buzznwoodysmom
06-22-2011, 10:23 AM
We've been talking about spending Christmas in WDW for years. For just once we'd like to be able to do exactly what WE want for Christmas rather than run from family to family, house to house trying to please everyone else. Well this year we finally decided to go for it!!!!

Just got off the phone booking WL for 6 nights, leaving to come back home the day after Christmas! We know it will be crazy crowded, we know we won't be able to do and see everything, but we are OK with that. We were just there in March for 9 nights, and might be back again next May for an IronMan race DH is doing so this trip is just to enjoy one of our favorite holidays in our favorite place. We just want to be surrounded by the magic of WDW, see all the decorations, enjoy some of the park attractions, and eat some wonderful meals!!!!! Let the planning begin!

Ksmith75
06-22-2011, 10:27 AM
Thats great! I am hoping one year we can go when the Holiday decorations are up. I would love to go during Xmas week, just waking up in WDW on Christmas morning would be so wonderful. Have a great time!!!!:mickey:

DisneyDINK
06-22-2011, 10:29 AM
Nice!

I'd like to be planning a holiday trip to, but I'm pretty busy training for my IronMan the end of this year. Tell DH good luck!

princessgirls
06-22-2011, 10:38 AM
Good for you Denise!!!So excited for you!!

Happy planning!!

Julie:mickey:

buzznwoodysmom
06-22-2011, 10:39 AM
Nice!

I'd like to be planning a holiday trip to, but I'm pretty busy training for my IronMan the end of this year. Tell DH good luck!

Good luck to you too. He is actually doing an IronMan in November, so he'll take the holidays "off" from his training, and start back up after the New Year for the May IronMan.

Jforrest2
06-22-2011, 11:18 AM
"we'd like to be able to do exactly what WE want for Christmas rather than run from family to family, house to house trying to please everyone else."

Same here! We booked for 12/19 - 12/26. Booked Christmas dinner at the California Grill this morning. 180 days!! (but only 102 days till our October trip) :blush:

flipadeeflop
06-22-2011, 11:41 AM
YAY! It's been a dream of mine to go during Christmas!!!! Have fun!!!

MississippiDisneyFreak
06-22-2011, 11:44 AM
Congratulations...although we said we will never go again Christmas week we love to go during the season....the decorations are absolutely beautiful and as long as you know you've got to make your ADRs early and get to the parks early to ride popular rides you will be fine as long as you understand how crowded it is....I would suggest resort hopping to check out the decorations, the Candlelight Processional is beautiful and the Osbourne Spectacle of Lights are spectacular. Have fun:thumbsup:

CajunDisneyDad
06-22-2011, 11:55 AM
We went a few years ago with DW's family a few weeks before Christmas. We were going to go again this year at that time, but Dear Child # 2 decided that its ETA would be at the end of December...probably not a good idea lol. I think the parks are extra magical at this time of year. They go all out with the decorations. Makes sure to go check out the Osborne Family Lights (not Ozzy lol) and also check out the giant gingerbread house at TGF. :mickey:

buzznwoodysmom
06-22-2011, 12:33 PM
Congratulations...although we said we will never go again Christmas week we love to go during the season....the decorations are absolutely beautiful and as long as you know you've got to make your ADRs early and get to the parks early to ride popular rides you will be fine as long as you understand how crowded it is....I would suggest resort hopping to check out the decorations, the Candlelight Processional is beautiful and the Osbourne Spectacle of Lights are spectacular. Have fun:thumbsup:

We've been during the holidays at least 4 or 5 times before, just never on Christmas day. We've gone twice for Thanksgiving, and also in December a few times. The closest we've been to Christmas was coming home on Dec. 23rd. So we know exactly what we want to see, and since this will be our 15th trip we definitely know how to work through crowds. I just can't wait to wake up at the Wilderness Lodge on Christmas morning. I'm going to feel like a kid again this Christmas morning! Tomorrow I get to make all ADRs!!!

MississippiDisneyFreak
06-22-2011, 01:01 PM
Sounds great, you guys are pros so it will be a blast. We are staying at Wilderness Lodge for the first time the week before Christmas and I can't wait.

buzznwoodysmom
06-22-2011, 01:06 PM
Sounds great, you guys are pros so it will be a blast. We are staying at Wilderness Lodge for the first time the week before Christmas and I can't wait.

You are in for a treat with Wilderness Lodge around the holidays. As you can see in my signature we've stayed at WL many times. Its our favorite resort on property, and its even more special around the holidays. We like to try new resorts, would like to stay in them all at least once. We were just at WL in March, but there is no other resort I'd want to stay at in WDW for Christmas. I think you are going to enjoy your stay so much!

DizneyRox
06-22-2011, 03:06 PM
For years we had talked about heading back to WDW for the holidays. Actually, since 1990... I'd probably spend more time at the resorts than the parks due to the decorations, etc. XMas is my favorite season to go though.

It was fantastic not having to worry about the hustle and bustle of family, etc. Maybe one of these days...

brivers222
06-22-2011, 03:16 PM
just reading all the comments is getting me excited to experience the weeks before xmas at Disney for the first time :)

MississippiDisneyFreak
06-22-2011, 03:36 PM
You are in for a treat with Wilderness Lodge around the holidays. As you can see in my signature we've stayed at WL many times. Its our favorite resort on property, and its even more special around the holidays. We like to try new resorts, would like to stay in them all at least once. We were just at WL in March, but there is no other resort I'd want to stay at in WDW for Christmas. I think you are going to enjoy your stay so much!

Yes...we had to make a decision of AKL or WL and we've never stayed at either but have visited both. Due to a PIN code it was the first time I could afford deluxe level. The deciding factor was remembering how beautiful the Wilderness Lodge looked decorated for Christmas. I can so easily picture myself sitting in those rocking chairs in front of the fireplace with a hot cup of cocoa. It gives me chills thinking about it and its 95 degrees here in Mississippi:)

MississippiDisneyFreak
06-22-2011, 03:38 PM
just reading all the comments is getting me excited to experience the weeks before xmas at Disney for the first time :)

Looks like you are going at a good time too....It is awesome during the holidays and I can't imagine going during any other season:)

buzznwoodysmom
06-22-2011, 04:08 PM
I can so easily picture myself sitting in those rocking chairs in front of the fireplace with a hot cup of cocoa. It gives me chills thinking about it and its 95 degrees here in Mississippi:)

Hahaha, same here. We just spent a weekend in the 106 degrees of San Antonio, and here in Louisiana its in the high 90s every day, yet I can picture myself at WL with a hot cocoa by one of the many fireplaces! Check out the smaller fireplace on the 4th floor right above the entrance. Its our favorite spot in all of the lodge. We consider it "our fireplace", but you are more than welcome to borrow it the week before we arrive!!! LOL. Or we can share since you'll be there till the 23rd!

MizMissy
06-23-2011, 10:04 AM
Congrats! I am jealous. I would love to see WDW around the holidays and I think getting away at Christmas is a great idea. But, I don't think I could convince my DH to leave family for Christmas (and I doubt I get him back to WDW even in a low crowd time, much less the busiest time of the year). The other problem I see is having Santa find us in a hotel room. We have traveled several times for Easter and having the Easter bunny show up in a small condo is one thing ... having Santa arrive in a small hotel room is a much bigger problem. My little one is still a true believer, so I have a couple of years left before I will even think about broaching the subject with DH.

buzznwoodysmom
06-23-2011, 10:42 AM
I worried about having Santa find us, but now that my kids are a bit older and want gifts that are much smaller in size, although more expensive, it shouldn't be too hard. Mind both asked if Santa would still deliver gifts, and I think it will work out fine. I'm not stressing about it. Both of my kids know that the trip is our main Christmas gift this year. Both boys want an Ipod touch REALLY bad (all their friends have them), and they know they can't get them till Christmas. So unless they change their minds those are very easy to deliver under the tree in a small hotel room. ;)

pdrlkr
06-24-2011, 08:48 AM
:congrats:

Jeff
06-24-2011, 08:56 AM
You will love Christmas at WDW, especially with the attitude you have about "not doing everything". WDW has become my families tradition.

A suggestion - if you are used to a service over Christmas time the Candlelight Processional on either Christmas Eve or Christmas Day makes the WDW expeireince even more special.

Also, if you hit the parks as they open and make wise use of fast pass you can still do more than you would have thought. The parks are still not to crowded for the first two hours. Christmas day itself we always hit MK as it opens, get a picture in front of the castle with family in Santa Mickey Hats, do a couple of favorite rides then jump on the monorail to Epcot for the day. We have Candlelight Processional Dinner Package plans somewhere special for the evening - makes for a great Christmas Day "tradition".

Last word of advice - do not stay at the MK for all of Christmas Day, by noon it actually becomes scary crowded!!!!!

Last thing, take a small tree or lights for your room window while there, many families do this. (take an extension cord!!!!)

Have a great time!

buzznwoodysmom
06-24-2011, 11:04 AM
Jeff,

Thanks for all the advice. We most definitely are taking a Christmas tree. We drive so we can haul anything we want. At home I put up several Christmas trees. My kids have their own living room and for Christmas all the decorations in their room are Disney Wilderness Lodge themed. We'll be takeing that tree, its our "small" tree at 5ft, but it will still fit in the room. So our room will still feel a bit like "home".

We won't be making it to MK at park opening on Christmas day. I want to be able to open gifts in the room, go to mass, and have a Christmas breakfast. IF we go to a park during the day it will probably be AK, and crazy as we might be we'll try to hit MK later that night, a few hours before park closing.

I love your Christmas "tradition" too though. Sounds like you guys have tons of fun!

Jeff
06-24-2011, 11:16 AM
IF we go to a park during the day it will probably be AK, and crazy as we might be we'll try to hit MK later that night, a few hours before park closing.

!

This is very "doable". The park is packed from noon till evening, but a lot of families give up and go home so it will reopen. It is often open till midnight on Christmas day (if I remember right) so the last few hours are ok.

buzznwoodysmom
06-24-2011, 12:02 PM
This is very "doable". The park is packed from noon till evening, but a lot of families give up and go home so it will reopen. It is often open till midnight on Christmas day (if I remember right) so the last few hours are ok.

Hahaha, that's what I'm hoping for!