PDA

View Full Version : Some Thoughtful Questions

darthmacho
06-21-2011, 10:03 AM
Just some things that I was thinking about as I was dreaming of my next WDW trip...

What WDW attraction most exceeded your expectations? This doesn't have to be your favorite ride or show, but the one that you went into with some doubt, uncertainty, or trepidation, and then when it was all said and done, you thought, "Ah! Now I understand. I get it."
What WDW attraction most let you down? Not necessarily your least favorite, but what ride or attraction did you go into thinking it would be in your top five, but as it turned out, you were greatly disappointed?
What WDW attraction grew on you? Is there a WDW attraction that after the first visit, you didn't think was so great, but after each subsequent visit, it began to grow on you, and now you like it a lot?
What WDW attraction do you have a special appreciation for, and why? Perhaps it's your favorite, but it doesn't have to be, but what attraction do you feel a special "connection" to whether it be nostalgia, childhood memory, or some other personal reason?

Give some thought to your answers! :mickey:

Here's mine:

Soarin. Before I saw it, I really couldn't understand all the hype for a simulator ride, the long lines, and whether it even fit into the theme of the Land, but once I saw it, I was thinking, "Yeah, this was worth the wait, and I get why it belongs in the Land Pavilion."
Star Tours. Not this version, which I haven't seen yet, but the original. I thought for sure it would be a top 5 attraction since Star Wars has been my favorite movie since I was 6yo, but for me, the ride fell flat. I'm glad they re-imagined it, and I'm looking forward to seeing the new version.
Jungle Cruise. The first time I visited it, I had several great rides on Kilimanjaro Safari, and I thought the animatronic animals seemed ludicrous by comparison. After a few more rides, I started to get the jokes, understand the point of the attraction, and started to appreciate the nostalgia of this classic WDW ride.
Splash Mountain. While Kilimanjaro Safaris is my favorite ride, no WDW makes me feel that special connection to WDW like Splash Mountain. Maybe it's the the music, the animatronics, or all of it, but to me SM is WDW!

Dulcee
06-21-2011, 10:13 AM
1. I agree with above, I really didn't think Soarin could be all that great. After the fact I obviously understood all the hype.
2. I'm gonna upset some people I'm sure but I'm gonna say Toy Story Mania. It was fun, don't get me wrong. I enjoyed it. But after hearing about it for so long, seeing the crazy long lines, I just expected...more.
3. The American Adventure in EPCOT's American pavilion. As a kid I couldn't stand this. It seemed like a waste of time. As an adult I really appreciate it more every time I see it. We make a point to travel to a lot of historic sites, monuments etc and I personally feel its one the best patriotic displays in the country.
4. Its a Small World. On family vacations as a child this was always, always, always our first ride. I still need to do it first on trips now. Followed by Peter Pan. I didn't realize how much my nostalgia for it colored my impression of it until I dragged my FI on it after evidently talking it up a bit much.

CajunDisneyDad
06-21-2011, 12:19 PM
Great topic Darth :)

1. Haunted Mansion... Dont know why, I guess because it was the first ride that I rode on my first trip.
2. Journey into Imagination... Had heard alot about this ride, but I felt it was boring...and the skunk smell and the loud explosion at the end were a bit much.
3. Small World.... After hearing that song 1000 times...you loose all control of your inhabition...and start singing along.
4. The Tea Cups... You cannot do Disney with out doing this iconic ride :P

ryca1dreams
06-21-2011, 12:41 PM
What WDW attraction most exceeded your expectations? - Tower of Terror. I thought it would just be a drop ride like at some other parks, but the level of detail, the story line, and the "new" random drops make it fascinating to me.

What WDW attraction most let you down? - Mission:Space. I just thought it would be more immersive. It's a fun ride, but not an experience

What WDW attraction grew on you?
- Flights of Wonder (AK). At first it was just a bird show, but it is so educational, fun, and really a good time

What WDW attraction do you have a special appreciation for, and why?
- Space Mountain. It was my first trip and we stood in line for 90 minutes. It was such an immersive experience for a 10 year old and I still love it.

MississippiDisneyFreak
06-21-2011, 01:28 PM
1. Soarin-I heard good things about this but I am terrified of heights and wasn't sure how it would be for me....I took a gamble and it paid off, I love it.

2. Toy Story Mania-Its good and everything its just don't think it deserves the hype and long lines it gets....not in my top five

3. Jungle Cruise-The more I think about it the cuter I think it is....cheesy yes, but cute.

4. Haunted Mansion-This is just to me what makes Disney special...there is such attention to detail and so magical and fun my favorite of all

AmandaChan
06-21-2011, 01:39 PM
What WDW attraction most exceeded your expectations?

Flights of Wonder - We went years without seeing this show and we really enjoyed it!
Peoplemover - This is silly but we never rode it because it might be slow and boring but I think this is one of our new favorites, it goes faster than you think and it's relaxing and you go through Space Mountain which is awesome!

What WDW attraction most let you down?

Mission Space - I rode the 'intense' version before they supposedly changed it.. It just made me so friggin nauseous I can't even entertain the idea of riding it again.

Jungle Cruise - I thought it was kind of nice at first but I couldn't wait to ride it this year! Classic Disney..

Finding Nemo Musical - Seriously how can a show be just as amazing the 5th time you've seen it as the 1st time you've seen it when it opened 5 years or so ago. I get chills everytime I see this show. I love colors, music, the effort and hard work that went into making those props and their uniqueness... I also love that all of the actors really seem to enjoy what they do and they put all of themselves into every show even when it's their 9-5 multiple shows work day. I love and appreciate that I can see their faces acting just as much as they are acting themselves through the props... seriously amazing!
That show is broadway quality and you get to enjoy it more than once a day if you wanted with your price of admission. This the epitome of Disney quality to me.. this is what we pay the big bucks for.
:nemo::dory:

also speaking of disney quality ..
Mount Everest - For the mere fact that the coster is genius. So fun, smooth, and they put so much work into that ride I really appreciate every bit of effort!

alaMode
06-21-2011, 07:30 PM
1. Toy Story Mania-I expected this to be like the Buzz Lightyear ride at MK, it's so much better! It's pretty much the only reason we go to DHS!

2. Soarin'-I LOL'd when someone once posted "Soarin' is borin'" because I couldn't agree more!

3. Peter Pan's Flight-My son loves this ride and has given me a whole new appreciation for it.

4. The Tomorrowland Speedway is very dear to me-I always ride with DS-I control the gas pedal and he steers. We always have so much fun working together!

snowflakegirl
06-21-2011, 08:12 PM
-Everest. I knew it would be good, I absolutely loved it!

-Toy Story Midway Mania. Don't get me wrong, I actually really, really like this ride. It's one of my favorite things to do in DHS, but I had heard so much about it and the lines were SO long, etc that I expected it to be more...something, somehow. I had to reframe the way I thought of it, but then like I said, I really, really liked it.

I'm actually not sure about this one.

Peter Pan. It actually is one of my favorite rides. Something about it has always just said "magic" to me. During a group trip with my ex, his sister and two of my friends when things were getting very tense and aggravating and I would have just as soon not had any of them there with me, we rode Peter Pan, I managed t go alone, and it reframed my mindset to make it through the rest of the vacation with my "magic" intact (despite the group I was with).

dizneydeb22
06-22-2011, 09:54 AM
What WDW attraction most exceeded your expectations? - Soarin'! I did not want to get on this ride due to my fear of heights, but it won me over!

What WDW attraction most let you down? - In WDW Snow Whites Scary Adventures. I was really hoping there would be more to it. But I finally got to ride Mr. Toads Wild Ride in Disneyland last year and I have to say, I don't see the attraction(pun intended).

- The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh. My son love this ride and after riding it 3 times in a row, it did actually grow on me.

What WDW attraction do you have a special appreciation? Mickey's Philharmagic because it was the first show my son and I watched on his first trip. My husband and my nephews all went on Splash Mountain, so we went to check it out. I had never seen it, but when my son figured out Donald was the main character he said, "Mommy, I really love you! You know exactly what I need." He was 3 at the time. I will never forget that!

DisneyDINK
06-22-2011, 11:09 AM
1. What WDW attraction most exceeded your expectations? TSM - I don't think the long lines are a coincidence. I got off that thing saying "Wow, they really hit this one out of the park!"
2. What WDW attraction most let you down? EE was a bit of a letdown for me. I always wonder why Disney could never really build a proper rollercoaster. I guess my biggest complaint is it is too short, I'd really like a little bang for my buck. Why no onboard ride audio? The technology is there, doesn't have to be music. Also half the time the Yeti is out of whack.
3. What WDW attraction grew on you? Probably the Finding Nemo show at AK. I've only recently started going to the shows; I've always preferred the rides. But I've seen it the last 2 trips and I really enjoyed it.
4. What WDW attraction do you have a special appreciation for, and why? TTA/Peoplemover for me. I like the rides you can always walk right onto. Also the WDW version was SO MUCH BETTER than the old Disnayland one which is now gone, with good reason. Being moved by magnets is much cooler than being pushed by little rubber wheels on the track. I like checking out the the scenery and the guests as they move about below. Always been a nice carefree little ride for me, never disappoints.

SBETigg
06-22-2011, 11:10 AM
WDW attraction most exceeded your expectations?

Splash Mountain. The story and the ride come together so well, and all the animatronics are perfect. It's a great dark ride and thrill ride all in one. A perfect Disney experience, for me.

I have to say Mr. Toad's Wild Ride. I know there are a lot of mourners for this attraction, but when I rode it, it was just meh. It wasn't wild. The effects were sub par. It was just one big disappointment overall. I do not miss it.

El Gran Fiesta, the boat ride in Mexico formerly known as El Rio del Tiempo. It grew on me way back then, though it seemed like just a nice rest at the time. And then I started to notice details and really enjoy the ride. And I had to learn to appreciate it again in a new way once it changed to Donald and friends.

Pirates of the Caribbean. It was the first attraction I rode with my husband on our honeymoon and it was so romantic and fun, with all the details to take in. I loved it as a kid, but I loved it even more with him, and we still ride POTC more than we ride any other WDW attraction.

azcavalier
06-22-2011, 11:56 AM
What WDW attraction most exceeded your expectations? Finding Nemo: The Musical I had seen the other shows, such as Beauty and the Beast (which is still my favorite all time Disney animated movie), but the quality of the props, sets, and music was really amazing.

What WDW attraction most let you down? The Voyage of the Little Mermaid. I don't know that i've ever gone into an attraction expecting it to be in my "Top 5", but i've never felt more disappointed with an attraction than this. I expected something more along the lines of the B&TB or Nemo, and I thought it was awful. So did my wife.

What WDW attraction grew on you? Spaceship Earth. Can't say why, but I love this ride. Both before and after the updates.

What WDW attraction do you have a special appreciation for, and why? Gran Fiesta Tour at the Mexico Pavilion. Partly because I lived in Central America for a few years and love the Mexican/Latino culture. Partly because it's so goofy, partly because of the music, and partly because it's a boat ride. Love all the boat rides. Even "Living with the Land".

ransam
06-22-2011, 01:27 PM
Great questions! thank you

1. it be Soarin'. like a lot of people, i had heard it was awesome, but until you expereince you have no idea how cool. I could ride that all day.

2. it be one of two. eiither EO or Test Track. EE wasn't as cool as i thought either, but i'll go w/ EO and Text track. EO i wasn't expecting to like it to be honest, but thought i'd try it out, and it was worse than i thought. the only Disney attraction i have ever wanted to end quickly. and test track my anticipation was so high, and i was so excited.....but when i went on, it was ok, but......well that leads to the next one....

3. it be test track. I didnt' like it the frist time. not sure why. but the last few rides, i really like it a lot.

4. Peter Pan. Love the movie. Love the details. Love not being in my 40's and not having to grow up.

Kairi_7378
06-22-2011, 10:32 PM
Great question.

1.) Tower of Terror. I was afraid to go on it but after my first ride I adored it. Honorable mention to Flights of Wonder: I was expecting a bird show. It's so much more!

2.) Is it fair to say DHS? I really like the architecture of the park but it seems like they are having a hard time figure out what to do with the space. As far as the attractions, I'd have to say Country Bear Jamboree.

3.) This is a tough one for me... I guess I'd have to say BTMR.

4.) it's a small world. Classic Walt.

WDWgoofy
07-02-2011, 02:56 PM
FOTLK. We had no knowledge of the attraction, but were begged to go by youngest daughter who loved the Lion King. We were blown away it became a family favorite -- a must see every trip.

What WDW attraction most let you down? Great Movie Ride. The first ride we ever rode at HS -- what a disappointment. Also, Animation and Backlot tours or whatever they're called. It is sad what these have become:confused:

What WDW attraction grew on you? IllumiNations. on first viewings I didn' appreciate the spectacle nor did I understand the background story. I thought it was a fireworks show. On a second or third viewing I came to appreciate the spectacle and I usually view multiple times each trip.

What WDW attraction do you have a special appreciation for, and why? Splash Mountain and Tower of Terror. I love themeing.

WDWgoofy
07-02-2011, 03:07 PM
Also...Great Question!!!!!

and it because of questions like this and the well considered replies that I keep hanging around the Intercot boards after all these years.

Thank You:mickey:

marlyn
07-02-2011, 03:20 PM
What WDW attraction most exceeded your expectations? Expedition Everest!!!I had never tried this prior to my trip last August as I was scared to. I thought I would be scared to death on it, or feel sick when I got off of it...I finally took the plunge and got on and I LOVED it. As a matter of fact, I got right back in line to go again! I did not feel scared or sick. It is now my favorite coaster at WDW!

What WDW attraction most let you down? Finding Nemo, the Musical. I just wasn't into it. I found it long and left before it was done. I usually like stage shows, but didn't get into this one.

What WDW attraction grew on you? I would have to say Star Tours. I didn't like it when I was younger, but do now!

What WDW attraction do you have a special appreciation for, and why? Pirates....It reminds me of my first trip to Disneyland as a kid...and now as an adult, I love the movies and Capt Jack!

Pop Centurion
07-02-2011, 06:15 PM
What WDW attraction most exceeded your expectations? Probably Mission Space. I didn't expect the intensity of the launch to be that extreme but wow! Now I have to ride it more than once each visit.
What WDW attraction most let you down? TSM with all it's hype & ridiculous lines had me so excited to ride it. Ended up feeling like Buzz on steroids. It's still a must do but I expected more.
What WDW attraction grew on you? COP. My wife loves it and would ride it multiple times per visit to MK. I was like "not again". But it has grown on me & It actually wouldn't feel right if I didn't ride it at least once.
What WDW attraction do you have a special appreciation for, and why? This is tough because I appreciate a lot of the classic attractions & the imagineering that went into them. If I had to pick one it would be Splash Mountain because it follows the story line of Song of the South perfectly

SpecJoe Magic
07-03-2011, 05:56 AM
1 . Flights of Wonder- It never seemed that interesting to me and I avoided it for years but once I gave it a try, I was pleasantly surprised by the presentation. I expected animal tricks but they make it much more than that with the humor and the fun characters.

2. Kali River Rapids- I thought this would be among the best raft rides I had ever experienced and AK needed a great attraction to start the new Asia area off right, so I thought Disney would pull out all the stops, but instead what I got was a short ride that lacks thrills with an out of place environmental scene. It holds the distiction of being the only attraction where I like the queue more than the ride.

3. Winnie the Pooh- I still don't love it but I now appreciate it for what it is and some of the special effects are neat. I guess I did not give it a fair chance at first because it replaced Mr. Toad.

4 . Pirates of the Caribbean- Not only is it a classic, it was also a tradition in my family for many years to ride it first on every trip.

DNS
07-03-2011, 12:38 PM

Universe of Energy - I have always loved this attraction and the previous film (although I love the one with Ellen) had quite an interesting message.

The Many adventures of Winnie the Pooh - It is a very cute ride, but I just expected something more.

Transit Authority PeopleMover - The first time or two I rode it, it was just to rest and cool off a bit. Now I go out of my way to ride it any time, just for fun. I usually ride it 3 or 4 times a trip.

Haunted Mansion - This was our first ride on our first trip and was absolute proof to us that Magic Kingdom was not just another theme park. As well as the other Disney Parks. And we were hooked!

Jillirose
07-04-2011, 07:33 AM
Soarin' - even with all the hype!

Toy Story Mania - didn't get it, but everyone else in the family loves it! Not worth 60+ wait.

Spaceship Earth - now a must do, usually multiple times, due to the short wait!

Great Movie Ride - very sentimental and a must do each trip!

Eric87
07-04-2011, 11:25 AM
Great Questions. My answers are below.

What WDW attraction most exceeded your expectations? I was really surprised with how much I enjoyed Finding Nemo The Musical. It was the last thing we did on our 08 trip, and I really enjoyed all the puppets and catchy songs.

Definitely would have to say Mission Space. We just missed the opening in 03, and when we went back, I was really looking forward to experiencing this attraction. I enjoy thrill rides as much as the next person, but this just didn't have the "Disney" feel. The storyline was very weak.

The TTA/Peoplemover. We never did this attraction a whole lot when I was younger, but now that we've been lucky enough to go almost yearly, I look forward to the aerial view of Tomorrowland from this little gem of an attraction.

It would be a tie between It's a Small World, and Pirates of the Caribbean. IASW because it is my Mom's favorite ride and if she's not there with me I call her from the ride. POTC because I've never heard my Dad admit a favorite attraction, but I think this would be it. Also, his was my DD first attraction, and that alone is sentimental enough.

Katzateer
07-04-2011, 02:08 PM
I am going to have to check out Flights of Wonder after all these responses- I think we went one time whenAK opened.

1. Soaring

2. New Figment Ride

3. COP

4. haunted Mansion

CzepielCrew
07-07-2011, 02:56 PM
What attraction exceeded expectations?
I will have to say Kali River Rapids. We had to ride 4 times in a row last time because of how happy the kids were on the ride.
What let me down?
The Seas with Nemo and Friends. Line was really long and ride just was not what I thought it was going to be.
This is a tough one. Maybe the Jungle Cruise.
What special appreciation?
Small World. Disney in a ride. No other ride can get stuck in your head for the rest of the afternoon.