PDA

View Full Version : Bring back the original version of Illuminations!

MaxPower
06-20-2011, 04:06 PM
Does anyone miss the original Illuminations?

I may be in the minority, but Illuminations took a turn for the worse when the original version was scrapped and the globe was introduced with the newer version.

The original Illuminations used to be wonderful when each country was lit individually as a well-known song from that country was played (For example, The Can Can was played while France was illuminated).

I always got chills when the all of the countries had been illuminated and then all of their lights were dimmed so that the USA could have its turn. The American Adventure was then illuminated to Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue. And there is no better song to choreograph fireworks to than Rhapsody in Blue.

I loved how visiting foreigners would cheer when their country had its turn.

I loved the cuckoo clock at the end of Germany's song which always made the crowd laugh.

I loved how children and parents alike would clap to the music that they recognized from each country, most of which were VERY well-known classic songs.

And the fireworks at the end were true representations of what World Showcase is supposed to be: Celebrating each country as an individual, but then coming together as one united world in the end.

As a terrific final touch, after the final blast of fireworks, a spinning globe was projected onto Spaceship Earth with lasers as guests exited the park and an instrumental version of It's a Small World played throughout the park speakers.

I will take Gershwin, humor, national pride and some of the best music the world has ever known over a video globe and canned Disney singers any day of the week.

Dyanna
06-21-2011, 11:20 AM
I too miss the old version & wish it would come back. Why was it scrapped to begin with??? I do however remember a time when Epcot did both individual country lights as well as the globe at the same time. They should do this again IMO.

Stu29573
06-21-2011, 01:45 PM
Yep. It was better. Although I dont think they will scrap then very expensive globe, mayne they could combine the two shows?