PDA

View Full Version : Universal Trip Report - Day 1 (June 15)

BigRedDad
06-20-2011, 11:28 AM
We were spending the night in GA because I was not going to get out of work until 4PM. We stopped in Port Wentworth at a Days Inn that was highly rated. Unfortunately, the bed was as hard as a rock, the floor was softer, and I could not get comfortable. I fell asleep at about 10:30 and woke up at 12:30AM. After fighting for an hour and a half to try to get comfortable, I woke my DW and DD to get in the car. Well, DW fell right back to sleep. But, my DD5 decided she wanted to talk to me for 4 hours while driving down. The little stinker stayed up the rest of the way.

We arrived at the Royal Pacific a little before 7AM. We were checked in with our room not being ready (no issue) and given our room keys for early entry. So, we head off to IOA for Harry Potter.

All I can say is that it is themed incredibly. Not taking away from it, but I anticipate more. I was also not able to soak everything in because DD was anxious to do other things. DD love Cara-Seuss-el, Cat in the Hat (at least 25x over the 4 days), and 1 Fish 2 Fish. After we head over to do Hulk, Storm Force, and Spiderman. We finish off at Ripsaw and Bluto's.

It was kind of low key and a slow moving day since little sleep was had. It was very enjoyable for what we did and we were planning for the next day's fun.

The Great:
1. Child Swap and Express Pass are insanely superior to WDW. This is hands down the best thing I have experienced at a theme park. I do not know the official policy for Child Swap, but since the ride attendant told us to go twice each, we did. Express Pass allowed us to walk on to every single ride with no more than a 1-2 minute wait. Walking through the queue to get to the ride took longer than getting on

2. Bluto's Bilge Ray Barge was much more fun. You get soaked no matter where you are and it is a longer ride.

3. Getting on the thrill rides is much faster and easier. Short lines, nearly walk on to all of them. No need to come back later.

The Good:
1. Crowds were nearly non-existent. We would go at opening, leave after lunch, and come back early evening.

2. The Meal Deal worked out great and saves a lot of money if you use it. The refillable mugs and popcorn save a ton as well. Being able to get free ice water refills was good as well.

The Not-so Good
1. Activities with inclement weather. It stormed every day between 5-8PM. It is expected, but almost everything for children is done at that point. We were at the resort most of the time when this happened around 8PM. The pool shuts down, outdoor activities are done, and there was nothing for kids to do.

2. Boats shutting down when storms were around. It is easy for me, but having a tired child being pushed in a stroller in the rain wears on you.

3. Didn't get to experience much of City Walk this trip. We did one night briefly. It is far too touristy to be enjoyable. Prices are jacked up, the atmosphere was almost condescending, and many of the bartenders and wait staff seemed to be pre-occupied. We did have a fun bartender at Bubba Gump's.

4. Prices for drinks. I only ordered one and after I got the bill, I told the bartender it was the last of the trip. $10 for a single pour rum and coke. After I got my DD and DW to a nap, I went to the liquor store.

princessgirls
06-20-2011, 11:47 AM
Thanks for reporting! I appreciate the feedback on Universal. It is all good to know!!

Julie:mickey:

NJGIRL
06-20-2011, 04:58 PM
Thanks for the report and glad you enjoyed yourself. :thumbsup: