PDA

View Full Version : What is everyone reading?

NJGIRL
06-19-2011, 08:16 PM
Since I haven't been working I have been reading up a storm. I am making up for lost time! I have read all of the Stephanie Plum books and all of Catherine Coulters FBI books. I loved both series. I like fiction or non fiction, but I do not like romance novels. I have read the "Lost City of Z" and "The Devil in the White City", both non fiction and enjoyed them.

Please give me some suggestions on where to go next.

MissMaryPoppins
06-19-2011, 09:26 PM
I've been on a reading frenzy myself. I'm finishing up "Twenties Girl" by Sophie Kinsella and I've really enjoyed it. I highly recommend it, the story's sweet but not sappy and really not romantic. I also enjoyed her " Shopaholic" series, which are also fun easy reads. I read "Anthropology of an American Girl" by Hillary Thayer Hamann. It's a pretty long book and the story is dark in some parts but I got into it easily and read it quickly. I'm a big fan of biographies and especially love Jackie Kennedy biographies. The best Kennedy book I've read is "The Kennedy Women" by Laurence Leamer. I hope this helps a little!

NJGIRL
06-19-2011, 09:35 PM
Thanks for the suggestions! This is what I was hoping for. I will take a look at those books to see if I am interested in the subject matter.

Sometimes you like the subjects but the books are boring, so thanks for your input. :thumbsup:

Tink1
06-19-2011, 09:50 PM
I started reading The GIrl with the Dragon Tattoo but have not gotten into it. Everyone is telling me to stick with it, so I shall try.

I actually just read a bunch of "beach books" that were OK. Morganville Vampires. It is a teen series, and easy read. What better for on the beach?!

I do like the Steve Berry books if you are into historical thrilers.

Nanc

sorcerer fan
06-19-2011, 10:27 PM
the girl with the dragon tatoo is really hard to get into but worth sticking with. the whole series, only three books, is great. another good set of books is Geroge R. R. Martins a Game of Thrones. they are doing the movie version of it on HBO

NJGIRL
06-19-2011, 10:27 PM
I started reading The GIrl with the Dragon Tattoo but have not gotten into it. Everyone is telling me to stick with it, so I shall try.

I actually just read a bunch of "beach books" that were OK. Morganville Vampires. It is a teen series, and easy read. What better for on the beach?!

Nanc

I just bought "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" series (all three books), but didn't start them yet. You are the second person who has told me that they started to read them but didn't get very far. :(

I like vampire stories and the historical thrillers sound great too!

ibelieveindisneymagic
06-19-2011, 10:30 PM

We like these too! In fact, they are our favourite "book on iPOD" books that we listen to when we travel.

I'm a bit behind, and am still working through the Kingdom Keepers 3 & 4 as well ... but I am enjoying a "fun" read.

NJGIRL
06-19-2011, 10:39 PM
So that makes two for the Steve Berry books!

NJGIRL
06-19-2011, 10:41 PM
the girl with the dragon tatoo is really hard to get into but worth sticking with. the whole series, only three books, is great. another good set of books is Geroge R. R. Martins a Game of Thrones. they are doing the movie version of it on HBO

It sounds like everyone has trouble with "The Girl...."

What is the "Game of Thrones" about?

Tink1
06-19-2011, 10:45 PM
My favorite Steve Berry are 2 that are not in his Series. The Third Secret and Romonav Prophacy. I do like his Cotton Malone Series very much though and have read everything he has written.

2 Other Books I read that I re-read are The Kitchen Boy by Robert Alexander, and The Long Walk by Slavomir Rawicz.

Can you tell I am interested in Russia? :secret:

Nanc

Tink1
06-19-2011, 10:55 PM
Have you read the Sookie Stackhouse Books? Dan Brown's books?

Nanc

NJGIRL
06-19-2011, 10:57 PM
Have you read the Sookie Stackhouse Books? Dan Brown's books?

Nanc

No

Tink1
06-19-2011, 11:55 PM
I like bth of them! In fact, I have to get the new Sookie book. Those are the books True Blood on HBO is loosely based on

Nanc

TheVBs
06-20-2011, 08:12 AM
Cecelia Ahern's books are wonderful and funny! I love the Sookie books too, and if you enjoy those you might enjoy Jim Butcher's Dresden Files books. Count me as another person who could not get into The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. Just couldn't see what all the fuss was about.

NJGIRL
06-20-2011, 08:17 AM
I like bth of them! In fact, I have to get the new Sookie book. Those are the books True Blood on HBO is loosely based on

Nanc

Love the vampire thing, always have. I have the collection of Dark Shadows on DVD. I also love/have The Lost Boys & Underworld on DVD but I don't think I have ever read a vampire book.

NJGIRL
06-20-2011, 08:19 AM
Count me as another person who could not get into The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. Just couldn't see what all the fuss was about.

This is very disappionting. :( I want to read for enjoyment and not to "get through it to get to the good part". Maybe I'll take those books back???

Mickey'sGirl
06-20-2011, 08:58 AM
I read all of the "Dragon Tattoo" books in the winter, and it was a case of making myself finish. They are really poorly written in my opinion, but that could be a result of translation. Of the three, the last one "The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest" was my favourite.

I am currently reading "A Dog's Purpose" by W. Bruce Cameron. It's a beautiful book, but it pulls at the heart quite a bit! I was sobbing on the train into work today.

I am also waiting for tomorrow when "Smokin' Seventeen" (A Stephanie Plum novel) by Janet Evanovich gets delivered to my Kindle!!

princessgirls
06-20-2011, 09:51 AM
Sad but true...This is the first book I've picked up since September...

I'm currently enjoying Water for Elephants. Good Book!!

I'm a big Kristin Hannah fan, and there is a new one that I am excited to read.

Julie:mickey:

PlutoToo
06-20-2011, 10:29 AM
We like Steve Berry as well. Also, Clive Cussler and Daniel Silva. They're most action/adventure, but with a history twist.

NJGIRL
06-20-2011, 10:32 AM
I am currently reading "A Dog's Purpose" by W. Bruce Cameron. It's a beautiful book, but it pulls at the heart quite a bit! I was sobbing on the train into work today.

This is not happening. I will not read romance or animal/child related books. I'm in animal rescue and see too many sad things everyday. Books are my escape and I don't want to be depressed while reading.

Love that Stephanie Plum!

I am taking back those other books! Too many "I can't get into them".

Tink1
06-20-2011, 10:34 AM
Love the vampire thing, always have. I have the collection of Dark Shadows on DVD. I also love/have The Lost Boys & Underworld on DVD but I don't think I have ever read a vampire book.

LOVED Dark Shadows! Used to run home from school to watch it. Amazing that my mom let me watch it though. Lost in Space gave me nightmares, but not Dark Shadows LOL

N

NJGIRL
06-20-2011, 10:36 AM
I'm currently enjoying Water for Elephants. Good Book!! Julie:mickey:

Is that about a circus? I won't do animal books. Too sad. :(

NJGIRL
06-20-2011, 10:37 AM
We like Steve Berry as well. Also, Clive Cussler and Daniel Silva. They're most action/adventure, but with a history twist.

I'm going to look into Steve Berry for sure. He has alot of fans on INTERCOT. :thumbsup:

NJGIRL
06-20-2011, 10:40 AM
LOVED Dark Shadows! Used to run home from school to watch it. Amazing that my mom let me watch it though. Lost in Space gave me nightmares, but not Dark Shadows LOL

N

Nanci, I remember that too! It is so much fun watching them now! The stories are so well written. You don't always get that now. It does help to be able to watch a couple of hours at a time without having to wait for the next day.

princessgirls
06-20-2011, 01:30 PM
Is that about a circus? I won't do animal books. Too sad. :(

Water for Elephants is about life on the circus circuit in the depression era. It is the story of a young man and the relationships he makes along the way. Very interesting story...

Julie:mickey:

MizMissy
06-20-2011, 05:13 PM
I'm also a big fan of Steve Berry books - lots of action and historical fiction included.
William Martin had a new book come out recently - City of Dreams - it has action, but a lot more history included. He has several books that include his Peter Fallon character (Lost Constitution and Harvard Yard are others). They are "treasure hunt" books that tell the story from Peter Fallon searching for the treasure in modern day, but also tells the story of the treasure, tracing it through time. Lots of "convenient" historical event included, but it makes for interesting reading.

I just finished Rick Riordan's latest book, Throne of Fire (?I think?) My DD(11) has read all of his books and I've enjoyed reading them along with her.

Right now, I am re-reading Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows because it has been several years since I read the book and I want to re-read it before I see the Book 7, Part 1 on DVD and take my kids to the movies when Part 2 comes out.

PirateLover
06-20-2011, 10:40 PM
Right now I am reading for grad school and don't have much time to read for "pleasure." The latest book we read was Incidents in the Life of Slave Girl, an autobiographical narrative of Harriet Jacobs. It was quite good! When I get more free time I plan to read the Song of Ice and Fire series (Game of Thrones).

NJGIRL
06-21-2011, 06:42 AM
I'm also a big fan of Steve Berry books - lots of action and historical fiction included.
William Martin had a new book come out recently - City of Dreams - it has action, but a lot more history included. He has several books that include his Peter Fallon character (Lost Constitution and Harvard Yard are others). They are "treasure hunt" books that tell the story from Peter Fallon searching for the treasure in modern day, but also tells the story of the treasure, tracing it through time. Lots of "convenient" historical event included, but it makes for interesting reading.

I think I would like these. I loved the movie National Treasure and would probably like reading that kind of story.

NewDVCowner
06-21-2011, 11:47 AM
I'm reading the Worst Hard Time, which is a non-fiction book about the Dust Bowl of the 1930's. It's really well written and has gone into the background of the area and how that led up to the dust storms. Very interesting and I'm learning a lot about something that I've only known as a footnote in history.

I second (or third) the vote of the Sookie Stackhouse books. Very fun. The Laurel K. Hamilton books are good vampire books, too, but I'd only read up to about the seventh or eighth book in the series. It went way downhill after that and it's pretty obvious that she's just milking the books for money now and isn't putting effort into them.

If you enjoy fantasy books I'd also recommend the Black Jewels series by Anne Bishop.

teambricker04
06-26-2011, 12:33 PM
I liked the The girl with the Dragon Tattoo series! The Swedish versions of the movies are on Netflix instant streaming... I liked watching them after I finished the books.

The author of Devil in the White City has a new book out... Based on Nazi Germany/WWII. I heard his interview on NPR and it sounded excellent.

Right now, I am reading text books. Yuck.

PeachyGal
06-28-2011, 09:59 AM
If you like vampire books, try the Black Dagger Brotherhood series. I am on book 9 and have really enjoyed the entire series. Its basically about the vampire royalty and each book is about 1 warrior. You have to read them in succession to keep up with the story line.

Once I am done with Black Dagger, I'm moving on to the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. I also have various other random books that I get on Freebie Fridays from Barnes & Noble for my Nook. Always looking for something to read!

SamLowel
06-28-2011, 01:26 PM
The author of Devil in the White City has a new book out... Based on Nazi Germany/WWII. I heard his interview on NPR and it sounded excellent

Sounds like a great book. Do you remember the guys name or the date he was featured on NPR?

I'm reading the book "Not Alone" about the Queen Wilhemnia of the Netherlands.

Terra
06-28-2011, 08:10 PM
I finished The Red Tent not too long ago. Now I'm reading Jimmy Buffet's A Salty Piece of Land.

KylesMom
06-29-2011, 12:18 AM

I had to laugh when I read this. I have roughly 200 hard-cover books, and a good portion of them are vampire novels, which range from Stephen King to F. Paul Wilson to Andrei Codrescu to Anne Rice to Laurell K. Hamilton - and beyond. Some of our favorite non-Disney movies gravitate towards The Lost Boys, Fright Night, Underworld, Van Helsing and of course, Bram Stoker's Dracula. My mom still jokes with me that I would come home from kindergarten & have a grand old time watching Dark Shadows. Now, if the rumors are true & Johnny Depp ends up really playing Barnabas Collins, both DH and I will be in 7th heaven, as we actually liked the Ben Cross remake which seems like eons ago!

I must add that I've recently become enamored with The Kingdom Keeper series. Both DS and I will be quizzing each other, I'm sure, during our next trip about "what happens here?"!!! I've also recently become a fan of Dan Brown - the books are complex enough that I can't finish them in a few lunch hours, which is a GOOD thing. :mickey:

smcd
06-30-2011, 02:45 PM
Cecelia Ahern's books are wonderful and funny! I love the Sookie books too, and if you enjoy those you might enjoy Jim Butcher's Dresden Files books. Count me as another person who could not get into The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. Just couldn't see what all the fuss was about.

Just finished the last Dresden book! :number1:(currently - another due in July) Great series. And we just watched the brief TV series on Netflix - too bad it didn't last.

I'm also a Sookie fan! Favorite Vamp? hello - Eric!

Haven't read the Girl with Dragon Tatoo books but really enjoyed the movies - They are remaking them here in the states but I'm very skeptical.

smcd
06-30-2011, 02:49 PM
Right now, I am re-reading Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows because it has been several years since I read the book and I want to re-read it before I see the Book 7, Part 1 on DVD and take my kids to the movies when Part 2 comes out.

Yup, before I started the Dresden books, I was re-reading all the Potter books. Always get stuck on the Order book - Harry gets SOOO whiney. So, I took a break to read Dresden - Now I'm back to Harry - Gotta finish before last movie!

TheVBs
06-30-2011, 05:24 PM
Just finished the last Dresden book! :number1:(currently - another due in July) Great series. And we just watched the brief TV series on Netflix - too bad it didn't last.

Can't wait for that next book! :)

Mousefever
07-02-2011, 08:48 AM
I liked the The girl with the Dragon Tattoo series! The Swedish versions of the movies are on Netflix instant streaming... I liked watching them after I finished the books.

I'm a big fan of the Dragon series too. To me, the books were not difficult to get interested in, but I can see how they can be a little off-putting for some. There's a certain European aesthetic that takes some getting used to. It's like the first time I walked into an IKEA store. I enjoyed it, but it took a while to appreciate the style of furnishings.

I'm currently reading "The Help", by Kathryn Stockett, on my kindle. It's difficult to put down. I will probably end up reading The Stand again this summer, perennial favorite and old friend.

The Steve Berry novels sound fun, and I love stories about historical treasure hunting. Thanks for the suggestions, everyone!

Amy

ElenitaB
07-02-2011, 10:55 AM
I recently read The Help and Water for Elephants and loved them both. Another book that I loved was The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. And, of course, the Disney dork in me loves the Kingdom Keeper series.

I'm now reading Second Hand which is the latest installment of the Cameron Scott series (written by our very own drummerboy). The series is now on Kindle (The Fifth Category, The Fourth Estate and The Third Degree). Best read to read them in order. They're great books about a country lawyer who seems to be an adventure/intrigue magnet. They're a quick read but only because I haven't been able to put them down.

I use Kindle on my iPhone and honestly, I'm hard pressed to read a book that isn't on Kindle or iBooks these days (no more schlepping books around, storage issues, etc.)

PAYROLL PRINCESS
07-02-2011, 10:51 PM
If you like Catherine Coulter's books you'll like the JD Robb Death series books. I can't wait until the next one comes out! I love her books. She also writes under Nora Roberts but those are more contemporary.

teambricker04
07-03-2011, 07:32 AM
Sounds like a great book. Do you remember the guys name or the date he was featured on NPR?

I'm reading the book "Not Alone" about the Queen Wilhemnia of the Netherlands.

In the Garden of Beasts by Erik Larson & the interview was May 9th (or so!). If you go to the NPR site and search Erik Larson, it will come up. It was a great interview!

garymacd
07-03-2011, 01:27 PM
I just finished Killing Affair by "Best Selling" Author David Wickes. It is the fifth in his police procedural/mystery series starring criminologist/homicide Detective (and hamburger afficionado) Jack Petersen of the BCA Division of the Minnesota State Police. He is stationed in the area of the Twin Cities near St. Cloud. I actually met the author (he lives in the same part of Ontario as me) and asked him why he chose that venue. His answer was something along the lines of, "Why not?"

I was pretty much hooked from the start. It was a gritty, look at the world and mind of a serial rapist/killer and the mind of the man chasing him.

Hopefully you can find it in your area. The author is Canadian, so it may be hard to find south of the border, but you should be able to order it on line and on some ebook sites.

Other titles in the series are: Killing Time, Killing Mind, Killing Cold and Killing Kind, with a new book coming out next year. Each book is a stand-alone story, not requiring you to read them in order.

Happy Reading!

NJGIRL
07-03-2011, 11:40 PM
I had to laugh when I read this. I have roughly 200 hard-cover books, and a good portion of them are vampire novels, which range from Stephen King to F. Paul Wilson to Andrei Codrescu to Anne Rice to Laurell K. Hamilton - and beyond. Some of our favorite non-Disney movies gravitate towards The Lost Boys, Fright Night, Underworld, Van Helsing and of course, Bram Stoker's Dracula. My mom still jokes with me that I would come home from kindergarten & have a grand old time watching Dark Shadows. Now, if the rumors are true & Johnny Depp ends up really playing Barnabas Collins, both DH and I will be in 7th heaven, as we actually liked the Ben Cross remake which seems like eons ago!

It's funny how many of us like the vampire books and we all like Disney! :D. You can tell we like to escape from reality.

I have nothing against Johny Depp, but I really don't want him to play Barnabas. I think his characters are too over the top. Willie Wonka was my favorite movie for a very long time and I didn't like the remake. Maybe I just don't like remakes in general, I read that JLo is going to play Sue Ellen in a Dallas remake and my heart sunk.:(.

Thanks everyone for all of the great suggestions! I have alot of reading to do!