PDA

View Full Version : Can our Nostalagia keep WDW going????

SpaceMountainManiac
06-18-2011, 06:30 PM
I have to be honest - I love WDW because i loved the feeling it gave me the first time i visited. It's power overwhelmed me as a british teenager. But?. Is this it? I am not thrilled by new thrill rides. I love the dark rides, I loved the old Mexico ' El Rio Del Tiempo' ( I hate the new version ). WDW affected me like a religion! Is it just our generation's nostalgia that is running WDW?? From what i read in these discusions kids are not satisfied with POTC or Space Mountain. Is it us? Will the bubble burst?

SandmanGStefani24
06-18-2011, 06:51 PM
i definately agree with you about the mexico ride...

As for the rest, I think it's something that effects everyone differently. Not everyone returns for a 2nd trip, or more as we do. Still I see it as a something that comes back around. Some people love to come back after a long while and experience the same things again. That could be people in their 20s looking to experience what they did as kids, parents looking to pass on the experience to their kids, and empty nesters going back without kids for some fun.

I don't think there will ever be a bubble to burst, but if there is I hope its not in my lifetime. Until then, I'm still booking my next trip!

tiggerbuddy
06-18-2011, 07:47 PM
I agree with you 100% !!:thumbsup:
Just look at what they've done to Epcot!!
The "New" Imagination ...Ugh....:mad:

crltkcagle
06-18-2011, 08:27 PM
My kids love POC and all those rides! Now that being said they are not teenagers. But I can remember being 18 and thinking Disney World was boring because I wanted thrill rides. I still enjoyed it but its not something I would have chosen to do at that age. However, now that I'm older I once again love Disney! I do miss some of the older attractions like 20,000 leagues and such but that's not stopping me from going back every year. I think we all go through this phase. I know my kids will when they are teenagers but I am sure when they get older they will fall back in love with the magic just like I did.

GBBT
06-18-2011, 09:47 PM
I've been on 14 trips to Disney since 1994 and am going back in December:cloud9:. Always loved Disney...always will!! :thumbsup:

alaMode
06-18-2011, 10:38 PM
I actually have an opposite experience-I visited WDW several times as a child, but didn't enjoy it as much as I did when I visited with friends as a teenager, and not nearly as much as I enjoy it now through the eyes of my child, who absolutely loves it!

I never in a million years thought I'd be visiting WDW at least once a year as an adult, but I am hooked on experiencing the magic with my son!

disneycutie165
06-19-2011, 09:56 AM
I've also noticed that kids nowadays are disappointed with Disney.... which to me is very sad.... I went for the 1st time when I was 3 and I still love it just as much as I did then. It doesn't help that most of the rides are closed for renovation and that a lot of Magic Kingdom is closed now- maybe it is just a phase. Hopefully Disney can make a comeback!

slegrant
06-19-2011, 10:08 AM
First off my wife and I have three boys 17,14 and 10 and they have a huge love for Disney. Growing up in St. Petersburg Florida and hour and a half away I have been going to Disney since I was born in 1971 and my love has never changed for that place. The rest of my family in Florida always complain about how all the changes are ruining Disney yet once the changes are done they seem alright with it. For me the constant change (although some I don't agree with) is what continues to bring me back, I love the nostalgia but I believe if Walt were alive today we would still see new and awesome changes come about because of his innovation and imagination. I love WDW:mickey:

darthmacho
06-19-2011, 10:52 AM
Though it pains me to say it, I think what you say has some merit. The numbers over the past few years show that the competitors up the street have gained ground, and the economy has had it's effect. It's a changing world, and WDW will have to adapt, and it is working on that as we speak. I think the Disney parks will always keep the people coming! :mickey:

Just-Keep-Swimming
06-19-2011, 11:36 AM
I am getting ready to start my senior year in high school, but I absolutely LOVE WDW!!!:mickey: Personally, i enjoy the balance of nostalgic rides and newer rides. I wouldn't dream of missing Peter Pan's Flight, HM, or PotC, but i also love M:S!

I often hear people older than myself complaining of changes they have seen & how the old version was better or a ride is no longer open. I would give ANYTHING to have seen these things! The closest I can get in old youtube videos. I guess im just a disney history junkie though, because I spend a lot of time watching movies & reading about how the parks and rides were created. My mom also just bought me my first book on disney. Its the first of what I hope will be a very large collection!:D

I think the park's downfall at the moment is a lack of thrill rides. I have never been to Universal, but I have a lot of friends that would rather go there. That doesnt mean disney should start adding all thrill & not keep its own vision! Thats what will make disney unique throughout the future. When people get tired of the thrills, they will come to disney, because it just makes you happy to be there.:mickey::tink:

I hope to continue visiting and one day even be an imagineer!! :cloud9:

Hazmat
06-19-2011, 12:09 PM
I'll be honest here. The things that attracted people in the past were there detailed dark rides. The stories and the effects within them. NO other park in the world did the same. Unfortunately Disney changed from catering for the families and young kids to catering for teens with a huge appetite for thrill rides. Which is something they don't do. They were becoming just another theme park. How many of you on here can admit to some of your party saying lets do rock n rollercoaster and other members saying we shall wait for you and watch the bags? Big thrill rides are good for some, but limit your target audience drastically.

The audience for disney parks is the young kids. Young kids bring there parents. This immediatley almost doubles your attendance figures! Thankfully they seem to be going back to there old ways of thinking with the massive fantasy land expansion and updating there classic rides like the haunted mansion. :thumbsup:

Who knows what the future will bring? Hopefully it will be for the better :)

MKFD43
06-19-2011, 02:16 PM
I think that changes can be both good and bad. I miss mr toad. I have been lucky enough to have gone to WDW every year since in was in 2nd grade. I am 37 years old now have have 2 daughters 3 and 5. They have been going every year since birth and love it. I wish they could see the original TIKI room ( but i think that comming back aint it?) The update to Haunted Mansion was kool. But EPCOT is a disaster. While I like soaring i have not been back on it in 4 years due to the line. I miss food rocks, i know the lil ones would have loved it too. The new Imagination to put it bluntly stinks. There is nothing for them in the world show case. If Disney wants to change, change that. If I wanted to see movies about countries I turn on the travel channel. They are too young to appreciate the awsomeness of the American adventure, and get borde being dragged through store after store. how about a gondola ride in Italy, mountain climbing in Germany, something other that a boring movie.

Zawadi
06-19-2011, 02:42 PM
I think the park's downfall at the moment is a lack of thrill rides. I have never been to Universal, but I have a lot of friends that would rather go there. That doesnt mean disney should start adding all thrill & not keep its own vision! Thats what will make disney unique throughout the future. When people get tired of the thrills, they will come to disney, because it just makes you happy to be there.:mickey::tink:

We have similar sentiments. DW and I are both still young enough to enjoy thrill rides (we've been on ToT over 250 times) but now we are tempted to miss Disney's major/thrill rides in favour of focussing on Disney's attention to details and atmosphere around the parks. The last couple of times (late September & early December) that we've been to Busch Gardens and Universal Studios we've found them to have zero atmosphere and after hitting the rides there was little to keep our attention within the park.

Our preference when visiting the Orlando area is still to stay at a WDW resort.

It is impossible to please all of the people all of the time (the one who can would now be very rich :)) The only thing in life that is constant is change. Disney must keep changing in order to be "current" with the younger generations but at the same time it must try not to alienate the "older" (our or previous) generations.

kemps@wdw
06-19-2011, 10:03 PM
based on current business, I don't see the bubble bursting anytime soon! I think the wonderful thing about WDW is it's ability to entertain young and old. Absolutely, nostalgia has alot to do with the repeat visits. But with that, comes the opportunity for us "vets" to introduce the magic that is Disney to as many people as we can. And then they can do the same...and so on...and so on...! And the fact that WDW is always refurbing and updating keeps things fresh and new. And that, is what keeps us all coming back for more! :thumbsup: (that and a little :pixie:)

Fastpasssteve
06-20-2011, 01:12 AM
While I went to Disneyland a few times on those endless family vacations, I was not hooked until I was an adult...in my late 30's. So, I'm not sure we have to depend on the kids of today...the Mouse Bug can strike at any time in one's lifetime! It may depend on the seasons of life and what fits.

Some kids are a little bored with Disney now...but years later, they will look back with a warm heart and return. I believe...and I'm late to the dance.

kakn7294
06-20-2011, 01:27 AM
I think what everyone has failed to consider is that the Disney parks were meant to be FAMILY parks according to Walt's original vision. Families are made up of people of all ages so they must attempt to create attractions that cater to all ages and I think they do so quite well. So maybe the tween / teen set isn't as enthralled with it as we are but I'll bet that many of them will be back someday - with families of their own.

TheVBs
06-20-2011, 08:16 AM
Yes to what Kathy said! The beauty of WDW for us is that there are so many different experiences you can have there, a little something for everyone. We enjoy the old and the new attractions.

DisneyDINK
06-20-2011, 10:54 AM
Nostalgia is a big part of why I go. I do want to recapture some of those feelings when I was experiencing the parks for the first time. On more recent trips I find myself going to WDW for different reasons. I always want to check out the new attractions and any changes to the old ones. I really don't want them to just leave things alone; I want the parks to evolve. Another reason I go is to stay at the resorts. My favorite thing about WDW is having everything I need right at my fingetips. I book a trip, I take ME to WDW (great enhancement IMHO), I never rent a car and I use the monorails, boats, busses and walkways to get everywhere, I spend time at the pools and waterparks, I can get a beer or glass of wine just about anywhere, I could stay there for like a whole month and never have to eat at the same restaurant, list goes on.

So... I began coming for the nostalgia and part of me feels bad when one of my old favorites gets destroyed to make room for the next thing (or just badly reworked), but nowadays I come because WDW offers me a complete vacation destination where I can either run from ride to ride or just sit by the pool and read a book for a few hours.

Plus, I kind of like debating the merits of the new vs. the old on the boards here.

PopPhan
06-20-2011, 11:20 AM
Seeing that, in the last report published by the Themed Entertainment Association (TEA,) Disney parks took the top 8 spots Worldwide and ALL Disney parks were listed in the Top 20 Worldwide; AND in the US, the US Disney parks took the Top 6 positions, I don't see a problem with keeping the parks going.

Granted, 3 of the 4 WDW parks lost ground in 2010, (MK -1.5%; Epcot -1.5% and DHS -1.0%) with DAK actually gaining 1.0% in attendance, but I would consider these numbers rather uplifting when you consider how many visitors were lost to IoA (up 30.2%) and US-O (up 6.1%) due mainly to the opening of WWoHP.

As long as there is a Disney presence in theaters, on TV, and in print, I don't see problems in the foreseeable future for WDW, or Disney parks worldwide. Nostalgia or not, people flock to Disney parks.

BUT, that's just my personal opinion. :D

ryca1dreams
06-20-2011, 12:27 PM
For me I'm not so sure it's nostalgia that's missing, but the sense of imagination and wonder. It is a place for families to kind of go into a world apart. That's what seems to be on the decline.

I don't mind replacing an older attraction as long as the replacement is something to capture the imagination and bring you into that world for a little while. Some attractions get it, some don't.

Overall, I think the parks as a whole still have a feeling of nostalgia without being tired and boring. Pure, unmovable nostalgia is not the way to go, neither is change-everything-to-be-like-everyone-else. There is a good middle ground that Disney does well.

IloveDisney71
06-20-2011, 04:43 PM
I think it depends on the person. My two DD's first trip to WDW was when they were 2 & 3 years old. Then they didn't get to go again until they were in 3rd & 4th grade. When they hit middle school we started making trips about once a year until they got through high school. They are now 21 & 22. They enjoy the thrill rides but they never got tired of the other rides even when they were teenagers. They still enjoyed riding Peter Pan, Snow White, Jungle Cruise, Tea Cups, etc. & even It's a Small World. I always found it amusing that they both ALWAYS LOVED the Carousel of Progress! To me that just isn't something most teenagers would want to do but they always made it a point to ride it at least once during each trip! I guess Disney is in their blood. :mickey: