PDA

View Full Version : Are the wait times for Star Tours really that low?

Pop Centurion
06-17-2011, 12:26 PM
I've been checking my wait time app on my Blackberry for the past 5 days & noticed that Star Tours has had wait times in the 15-20 min range the whole time.
I would think they would be much longer after the upgrade. What has everyone who has been to DHS recently experienced?

DVC2004
06-17-2011, 12:29 PM
We were there a week ago Tuesday. It said 20 minutes but the wait was actually about 40. There was a long line that snaked around.

phillydan
06-17-2011, 12:38 PM
I was there on Sunday, 6/12. There was 10 minute wait at 9:00; I went back to back and then got a fastpass for later. Came back at 11:00 and it was 90 minutes; cruised by again around 2:00 and it was still 90 minutes. I think you will have busy times, but they will not be sustained all day. It is a fast moving line and they do a good job loading the cars to max efficiency. Remember, there are several ride vehicles, so they move a lot of people.

By the way, it was FANTASTIC! The upgrades are a must see and have breathed new life into an outdated ride, without sacrificing anything.

Snow's Mom
06-17-2011, 01:31 PM
It was about 40 minutes when we were there the first week in June. We used a fastpass. There was NO line at the FP machine when I went.

We loved the ride---great improvements! If you have only a 20 minute wait, ride it again!

RBrooksC
06-17-2011, 02:17 PM
Star Tours has the blessing of many simulators going at one time and about 40 passengers per simulator. So, that ride can more a lot of people per hour. A ride like Toy Story is cursed with cars that only carry four people at a time and a very slow loading process. So, the line will always be longer due to the guest processing per hour.

cer
06-17-2011, 02:54 PM
We were there on June 8th, morning extra magic hours. At rope drop we went and got FP for Toy Story and then went and rode Star Tours twice in a row with no wait. Loved the changes. I was really surprised that there was no line.

WDWfanatic742
06-17-2011, 06:20 PM
Between TSM soaking up alot of early morning crowds still, Star Tours having really good capacity with most simulators running, Star Tours not being a brand new ride, and a (suprising) lack of advertising on Disney's part. All of those combine to not as bad wait times as it should be...

Melanie
06-17-2011, 06:34 PM
a (suprising) lack of advertising on Disney's part. All of those combine to not as bad wait times as it should be...

Funny how opposite it is in California. Huge lines for Star Tours, and I bet you could walk over to California Adventure and have a very short wait for Toy Story Mania.

WDWfanatic742
06-17-2011, 07:49 PM
Have you seen any advertising at all for Star Tours where you are Mel? I'm only a couple hours away and haven't seen a single billboard or TV ad or anything with Star Tours. Normally you can't get away from new ride ad's either. I wouldn't be surprised to find out how many people have no idea that the ride has changed tbh...

BrerGnat
06-17-2011, 07:55 PM
Funny how opposite it is in California. Huge lines for Star Tours, and I bet you could walk over to California Adventure and have a very short wait for Toy Story Mania.

So true! Although, the lines have died down QUITE a bit from last week.

Toy Story Mania in CA seems to hover right around 30-45 min most of the time. Seeing a wait over 45 min on a "typical" day is rare.

On the other hand, I've not seen Star Tours posting anything LESS than a 75 min wait since it opened. It averages about 120 min for much of the day, with FP being long gone by late morning.

In order to allow my DH to FINALLY have a chance to ride it, I had to go to Disneyland one day last week at 8am opening time, and by the time my DS and I got to the FP machines at 8:45, the return time was already 7:55-8:55 PM! I grabbed 2 FP, then gave them to my DH after work, and he went by himself and rode twice. He loved it! But man, what a bunch of jumping through hoops to ride it without an insane wait! The day we went as a family, the wait was 4 hours!!!!

Melanie
06-17-2011, 07:55 PM
Have you seen any advertising at all for Star Tours where you are Mel? I'm only a couple hours away and haven't seen a single billboard or TV ad or anything with Star Tours. Normally you can't get away from new ride ad's either. I wouldn't be surprised to find out how many people have no idea that the ride has changed tbh...

Nope. No billboards that I know of in the Tampa area. In fact, the one billboard in town that I could always count on being Disney World related recently switched to something non-Disney. And I haven't seen any TV ads re Star Wars either.

WDWfanatic742
06-17-2011, 09:03 PM
In order to allow my DH to FINALLY have a chance to ride it, I had to go to Disneyland one day last week at 8am opening time, and by the time my DS and I got to the FP machines at 8:45, the return time was already 7:55-8:55 PM! I grabbed 2 FP, then gave them to my DH after work, and he went by himself and rode twice. He loved it! But man, what a bunch of jumping through hoops to ride it without an insane wait! The day we went as a family, the wait was 4 hours!!!!

That's so insane. They have 4 simulators at Disneyland right? Having two less simulators could have something to do with the longer lines, but that's a little too extreme for that to be the only reason...

flipadeeflop
06-18-2011, 09:25 AM
Hmm never had a problem with wait times on this ride before the updates, so I forgot it would probably be more popular this time around! I'll have to rethink my strategy in HS!!!!

LVT
06-18-2011, 09:45 AM
We are just back. We were at HS about 6 times, including Star Wars weekends.
The wait time were usually about 40 mins. but they varied enormously. Some variation was probably due to Muppet 3-D and parades.

I really enjoyed the redo. We rode many times, but only saw about 6 of the variations.
We did catch some of the ones I wanted, at least.

WishesFan13
06-18-2011, 10:15 PM
DH, DS and I were in Disney for a short trip 5/30 & 5/31 and there were billboards advertising the ride outside of Disney property on 4 when we were driving in. There was also a sign at the ttc about star tours being open and not to miss it. I guess they're not advertising far away but they were close to and on Disney property.