PDA

View Full Version : Grand Canyon/Vegas/DL plans need help

luvDaMouse
06-17-2011, 10:04 AM
Ok, any west coast experts need help, early planning trip for Oct 2012, thinking of flying into Vegas or Phoenix doing GC for a couple days then Vegas a couple days then DL for 5 days. Should I fly to Phoenix and do GC at the south rim first? Or should I fly into Vegas, drive to the west rim (I think the west is closer to Vegas) then back to Vegas, then to DL? We will be renting a car, just not sure which rim of the canyon is best for someone who has never been before. We will only be there for 2 days so not sure how much we will accomplish during that amount of time.

I haven’t researched anything on the drive from Phoenix/Vegas yet so which drive has more to see along the way?

Also, I have been to Vegas before but what is there to see along the way from Vegas to DL as we will be driving.
Any suggestions?
Dana:mickey:

Mickey'sGirl
06-17-2011, 10:53 AM
I'm not an experty by any stretch, but we did a similar trip in 2008, and I have attached my trip reports here.

Part 1 (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=141371)
Part 2 (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=141372)
Part 3 (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=141374)
Part 4 (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=141413)
Part 5 (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=141415)

MNNHFLTX
06-17-2011, 11:20 AM
I would fly into Phoenix and work your way up to the Grand Canyon. If you have time on the way, take the route up through Sedona--beautiful area--then drive up Oak Creek Canyon Road to Flagstaff. It takes a little longer, but I guarantee you that the scenery is worth it. Since you will only be at the Grand Canyon for a couple of days, I would focus on the South Rim (make reservations now if you want to stay in any of the onsite park lodges). Then drive from there over to Vegas (maybe with a pitstop at Hualapai Lodge to walk on the glass Skywalk over the Grand Canyon?) That way you won't do any back-tracking through the same areas.

I haven't driven the Vegas to DL route, so I have no input on that. Are you planning of flying back home from an airport near DL?

BrerGnat
06-17-2011, 12:11 PM
I haven't driven the Vegas to DL route, so I have no input on that. Are you planning of flying back home from an airport near DL?

I do. Boring. Boring. Boring.

Seriously, the drive from Vegas west into Orange County is nothing more than some low rocky mountains and a whole lotta nothing. It doesn't compare to the scenery you see in Arizona. When you are in Vegas, and you see the stretch of desert surrounded by the mountains....that's your view almost all the way to Disneyland. The mountains get smaller and smaller and eventually, you end up in a very industrial looking valley, then into Anaheim. The drive is a little over 4 hours, and makes a great time for the non driver to nap. ;)

I've not been to the GC, so can't offer any advice there, but sounds like others have given you some good stuff to go on! The scenery you will see in Arizona is pretty nice. We've driven cross country before and that is the part that I think is the nicest, view wise.

Also, depending on which airline you fly, you'll find flying into either Vegas or Phoenix will be fairly cheap, as those airports are major hubs of a few different airlines. I'd go with whichever gives you the best combination of price and schedule, and work your GC trip in from wherever you fly into.

faline
06-17-2011, 01:09 PM
I would fly into Phoenix and work your way up to the Grand Canyon. If you have time on the way, take the route up through Sedona--beautiful area--then drive up Oak Creek Canyon Road to Flagstaff. It takes a little longer, but I guarantee you that the scenery is worth it. Since you will only be at the Grand Canyon for a couple of days, I would focus on the South Rim (make reservations now if you want to stay in any of the onsite park lodges).

Totally agree!

We stayed in one of the cabins which was right on the rim of the canyon. Open shade! Say wow! Another excellent choice would be El Tovar which is also located right on the rim. We made our cabin reservation a year or so in advance. Don't know what the prices are now but it was quite inexpensive to stay!

luvDaMouse
06-17-2011, 01:31 PM
Thank you for all the suggestions!
We will be flying out of an airport near DL is LAX our best option?
I have looked online at El Tovar, the views are amazing I am told it is 20 FEET from the rim. I also read you have to book a year in advance so if we stay there I will be sure to book soon.
My husband has also wanted to drive a stretch of route 66 not sure if there is an area around there to acomplish this. It would seem that route 66 is not on the map I have so I will have to check on this.
Thanks again and keep the suggestions coming!
Dana

MNNHFLTX
06-17-2011, 02:56 PM
My husband has also wanted to drive a stretch of route 66 not sure if there is an area around there to acomplish this. It would seem that route 66 is not on the map I have so I will have to check on this.Oh, definitely--you can drive on Historic Route 66 from Williams over to Kingman, AZ. The official route has been taken over by interstate freeways and other roadways, so it doesn't show up on maps anymore, but in Arizona it runs parallel or close to I-40 for much of its length. Just look for signs that show exits to "Historic Route 66".

As far as airports, John Wayne Airport (SNA) is the closest to Disneyland, but LAX will probably offer you tons more options, flight-wise.

BrerGnat
06-17-2011, 03:36 PM
Thank you for all the suggestions!
We will be flying out of an airport near DL is LAX our best option?

SNA (Orange County) is a much better option, in my opinion. I live about 5 min from SNA and when we travel, we willingly pay more money to fly out of there (if possible) just because it is so much more pleasant and convenient than dealing with LAX.

However, since you have to return to PA, you might find more non stop options out of LAX, if that's your preference.

DisneyLandMomma
06-19-2011, 11:35 PM
I live about halfway between Vegas and Disneyland in the mojave desert and the best advice I could give you on your drive from LV to DL is to make sure you aren't doing it on a Sunday. I've had a drive that normally takes 2-3 hours take up to 7 hours because people get dumb, drive crazy, cause wrecks and there is no way for other drivers to avoid it.

I also second the suggestion of flying into Phoenix and taking the Oak Creek Canyon road which will take you through Sedona(incredible views!!) We took a weeklong vacation last year to Sedona, which included a daytrip(about 2hr drive from Sedona) up to the SouthRim of the grand canyon. We were just there a few hours and I wish we could have stayed at least overnight! On our way home from Sedona, we drove over the Hoover Dam and then stayed in Vegas for a night before heading home.

Tink1
06-20-2011, 12:16 AM
I just got back from the Adventures by Disney Southwest Splendor. We stayed 2 days at the Grand Canyon in the Thunderbird at the rim. Had heard terrible reviews, but was not as bad as I anticipated. Two days was sufficient for me.

The Drive from Sedona to the Grand Canyon was GORGEOUS.

We were able to get cheap flights into PHX by keeping an eye on them and pouncing when they lowered.

Nanc