PDA

View Full Version : Need work advice.

Cinderelley
06-16-2011, 08:45 PM
I'm an RN in an ER. At the end of February, I had to have emergency surgery. Both my doctor and the Occupational health doctor have written that I am to be doing a mostly sit down job (triage or intake). Most times when I come in for a shift, they are making me do a job that I shouldn't be doing. My charge nurses are the ones doing the assignments (and I have talked with them about it) and, on several occasions, my nurse manager has been right there with them even though she has the paperwork saying otherwise. At this point, I don't know what else to do. Any suggestions?

BrerGnat
06-16-2011, 09:16 PM
If you are getting nowhere dealing with your direct supervisor, move up the chain. Your health is potentially at risk, and they will NOT want to end up paying out a disability insurance claim if something they do puts you out of work.

Cinderelley
06-16-2011, 10:09 PM
At this point, I don't know who to move up the chain to.

BrerGnat
06-16-2011, 11:05 PM
Find out who the Nurse Managers report to. Go to that person. Might be a good idea to go to the hospital's HR department as well. You are not being treated in accordance with your doctor's orders. You work at a hospital for crying out loud! Don't just sit there and do what you are told. Demand that your doctor's work accommodations be followed until he lifts the restriction.

Tink1
06-17-2011, 12:45 AM
You may need to move to HR and your Director/VIce president of Nursing (or whatever they call them these days)

I so do not miss the hospital when I read this stuff.

Nanc

Cinderelley
06-18-2011, 04:02 AM
With my new shift, I start the day with the dayshift charge nurse and end the day with tthe nightshift charge nurse. I spoke with the dayshift charge today after she gave me an assignment that I shouldn't have. She said she would move me over as soon as she could. The nightshift charge nurse came on and said "We'll have to talk to Nikki about this!" (my nurse manager). After this "chat", if things don't change, I'm going to HR and Risk Management. I'm fed up with it. They would be appalled if we treated a patient like this. Why not treat an employee better?