PDA

View Full Version : WDW iPhone App

x Kris x
06-16-2011, 05:52 PM
Hi all.

I must say I am usually quite tech-savvy, but I have to admit to not playing with my phone enough to really know the answer to my question.

So I have an iPhone 3G with an app I paid for called WDW E-Ticket that when you are in the parks displays ride waiting times, park hours and much more. I live in the UK and want to take my iPhone with me to have up-to-the-minute wait times on the go. As it is not technically an internet browser or anything, I am unsure as to the actual data being used and if it will be trying to access a connection and charge me loads of money.

The reason why I am unsure is because whenever I have searched the net for the answer, it has only been suggested that when using a standard phone abroad, you should set "Data Roaming" off. Well, I looked at my iPhone's settings and Data Roaming has been off this entire time, and I can access things on this App's features just fine. So, does the App use the net connection from home sent internationally, and will charge me lots? Or does the app just access the park's data and send it to my phone? Are GPS applications free to use internationally?

Patricia
06-16-2011, 07:05 PM
Coming from Canada, I do not use my iPhone in the parks.

You will need to roam in order to receive current information (like wait times) in the parks.

In case you didn't know, Disney World has a mobile web site now that offers park hours, attractions, fastpass availability and wait times without counting on other guests to provide the times all for free. Find it here http://m.disneyworld.go.com/

Even though I purchased an international data package before I left Canada, I saved that data for my GPS and texting and somehow I was still charged more when I got home. :mad:
You may have a package like that available to you, ask your provider for specific information and costs so as not to make my mistake.

I'm going to pop this over to the tech/web, internet savvy forum so a phone geek can explain the roaming thing.. Hang on to your Mickey ears!