PDA

View Full Version : Brazilian Tour groups

xo0ally
06-16-2011, 01:07 PM
I know the answer will probably already be yes....but does anyone know if in July all the Brazilian tour groups will be there like usual?

Thanks!

Strmchsr
06-16-2011, 01:51 PM
Yep. In fact it's supposedly going to be a record year for South American visitors coming to WDW.

CajunDisneyDad
06-16-2011, 02:09 PM
Thats just great.... Look I know they have just as much right to be there as anyone...but most of the interactions I have had with them has been bad... oh well. Its a vacation lol, and its Disney World, not Disney USA lol. Maybe this will be the year I wont almost get run over by the tour groups, or get nasty looks from them because I wont let them cut in front of me for soarin... :thumbsup:

UCJen
06-16-2011, 02:18 PM
Is there a time of year these tour groups typically visit?

We have been going the 3rd week of August for the past 6 years and we never see any tour groups, except for local schools/day care facilities doing day trips.

I keep reading horror stories about these tour groups and I'm a bit worried.

Dyanna
06-16-2011, 02:21 PM
We vacationed from Jan 8 -15th this year & the Brazilian tour groups were out in full force. Was not aware they had a 2nd round during the summer.

Melanie
06-16-2011, 02:28 PM
Yes, they are typically there January and July.

vicster
06-16-2011, 02:37 PM
Exactly why I go in September!!!!!!!!!!

DisneyDINK
06-16-2011, 02:44 PM
We vacationed from Jan 8 -15th this year & the Brazilian tour groups were out in full force. Was not aware they had a 2nd round during the summer.

Same here. I was there the following week in January. I really noticed the big groups the first two or 3 days and then they were virtually gone.

Does anyone know where they stay? On property? Off? Values? Deluxes?

EeyoresBestFriend
06-16-2011, 03:55 PM
LOL ~ this probably isn't nice, but YAY . . .I'm going in November and I'm glad to hear that it isn't one of the BTG power times! :D

MushuGrl
06-16-2011, 04:56 PM
Same here. I was there the following week in January. I really noticed the big groups the first two or 3 days and then they were virtually gone.

Does anyone know where they stay? On property? Off? Values? Deluxes?

That's a good question - I think we may be doing another January trip (maybe. maybe.) - the last time we stayed at CSR, but we really miss our home POP. I was told they stay there, then I was also told groups of any kind don't stay at POP. I'm confused.

tadshome
06-16-2011, 05:49 PM
I stayed in Pop a few years back and there were lots of Brazilian groups staying there. They did not seem to want to queue at the food court counters and seemed to just push in front of everyone that was waiting :nono:

Melanie
06-16-2011, 06:47 PM
I know they were at the All Stars last January. We stayed at AKL and did not see any tour groups there.

mechanic
06-16-2011, 08:43 PM
i work for ford motor company and they schedule our vacations for early july and christmas week. busiest times! so ive seen lots of groups in july. i have to say we have never had any bad experiences. last year we were at asmovies, me and 14 yr ds. with brazilian kids. they let us stay til 2am as long as we were quiet. everyone was very well behaved.

xo0ally
06-16-2011, 09:02 PM
Oh goodness. Every interaction i have had with them has not been a positive one. So i am bummed to hear its a record year. And they usually stay in a value resort because last year when i stayed at All Star Music there was a surplus of them there.

BigThunderFan
06-17-2011, 02:23 PM
We had plenty of interactions with them the last two January's, but to be honest I don't recall anything being that bad. I have heard horror stories about some of them, but that can be said about any of the groups we might run into there. Luckily in our experience we had mostly well behaved and polite BTGs. One moment that stands out to me is when getting Soarin' FP the lady in front of me had all the tickets for about 60 members of her group. She at least told me the moment I got behind her what she was doing so I could get into a different line.
Good luck to all of you, just remember, go the opposite way and stay in front of the flags and you'll most likely be fine! :thumbsup:

LovinWDW
06-17-2011, 02:53 PM
:( that's about all I can say.

DVC2004
06-17-2011, 02:53 PM
There were several when we visited last week- 1st week of June. However, it was uneventful and there were no issues. The groups were wearing t shirts but appeared to split up into smaller groups in line and didn't ride all together or try to let the others in.

Fastpasssteve
06-17-2011, 03:04 PM
Part of the 'not waiting in line' thing is a cultural difference. In Latin countries, there are no lines at deli counters, butchers, stores...it's more of a free-for-all. I have gotten elbowed in the stomach by more than a couple grandmas in Italy at the butcher shop. So, they come by this honestly. Now...it's still a problem, but I don't know how to educate them about queue etiquette in a week or less.

jcvalenti
06-20-2011, 12:24 PM
What I love is that when Americans travel overseas, people call us "ugly" if we don't try to follow local custom, but if these tour groups knock your kids over rushing onto the rides, it's a "cultural difference".

Disney World is in the USA. In the USA, we take turns and line up. If you're doing anything else, you are being rude.

firefan43
06-20-2011, 12:28 PM
I find it sorta funny how everyone in the world views Americans as rude travelers...yet when people visit here it seems they lose all manners and become incredibly rude themselves. Brazilians are the worst! I have a couple friends from Brazil and they say its the same way there. Cut in lines, argue, get in your way, and generally have no problem invading your personal space.

squad51
06-20-2011, 01:50 PM
I did notice last week that Disney was gearing up for the groups. I saw several CM's at all of the parks dressed in green polo shirts with the Brazil flag on it. I asked one if this had anything to do with the rumor that Brazil will be the next world showcase pavilion. The cm stated that they were there for the "invasion". Looks like Disney is trying to make the tour season uneventful.

CanadaLovesDisney
06-20-2011, 01:56 PM
February 2011 the cheerleaders took over cbr for a good week. Steer clear. Just trust me. It was awful.

mom2mickeyfan
06-28-2011, 02:11 PM
We were there the first full week in June and was at DHS on Tuesday, June 7. I saw 6 or 7 groups. We didn't really have any problems with any of them. They didn't seem to stay together for rides and things. The only complaint was it sure did make the streets very crowded. On another point, we went to MK on Wednesday and Epcot on Friday and didn't notice any of the tours.

vicster
06-28-2011, 02:16 PM
I take it none of us will be attending the olympics when they're held in Rio?????????

mariak
06-28-2011, 02:50 PM
Oh my gosh, thank you for starting this thread! I have been wondering about this too and always forget to ask. We were there the last week of Jan./ first week of Feb. 2010. They were all over singing and chanting. I can't say that we had any bad experiences other than getting behind them and not being able to hear sometimes. But, for the most part, they were well behaved. I just kept thinking how much lighter the lines would have been without them there.

On the other hand, they are spending money in the US and it helps Disney. And what helps Disney, helps us. I'm pretty much on the fence about the whole thing but I'm definitely thankful for all the advice I've seen here so that we can take that into consideration when planning future trips.

Thanks Everyone! :thumbsup:

xo0ally
06-28-2011, 10:09 PM
Now that I really think about it the only times I've seen the groups is at MK and HS. I've never seen them at Epcot or AK. I guess when we went to one park they went to another or something. I'm going in 7 days and I hope there will be no problem with them but I a doubt that.

alissantos
06-29-2011, 09:50 AM
Oh Gosh, at first I decided I would not say a word this time, but i cannot stand these posts full of prejudice... This is so sad!:ack:
Brazilians love Disney, yes, and Disney itself always send representatives to Brazil to keep Brazilians being one of the top nations that bring more money there.
There are lots of wonderful things to discuss here about WDW.
I am aware that there are sometimes problems with the behaviour of specialy the teens, but its not only Brazilians (I'm sure about that! I've been to WDW lots of times and I've seen many awful things being done by americans themselves).
Let's please stop being so disrespectful with other cultures.

vicster
06-29-2011, 09:55 AM
Oh Gosh, at first I decided I would not say a word this time, but i cannot stand these posts full of prejudice... This is so sad!:ack:
Brazilians love Disney, yes, and Disney itself always send representatives to Brazil to keep Brazilians being one of the top nations that bring more money there.
There are lots of wonderful things to discuss here about WDW.
I am aware that there are sometimes problems with the behaviour of specialy the teens, but its not only Brazilians (I'm sure about that! I've been to WDW lots of times and I've seen many awful things being done by americans themselves).

Very well said!

MushuGrl
06-29-2011, 10:00 AM
Actually , when we were there in January 2010 we had absolutely no problems whatsoever with the tour groups (I've actually seen worse behavior from American adults there with the kids during Pop Warner week....I'm talking to you, Guy Who Smoked Through the EE Queue.)

However...I'm worried about my sleep! I worry about my sleep every time there's a huge group of teenagers running about largely unchaperoned, Brazilian or no. Which is why I wanna know if it's safe to stay at my beloved POP during January. Not because of culture, but because I'm old and need sleep. (okay I'm 36, but after a day at the park I feel a good 96.)

Strmchsr
06-29-2011, 10:10 AM

For the most part, I don't think anyone is being disrespectful of another culture. There are some cultural issues, yes, especially the line-breaking issue which can be a problem (though not usually a huge one). I think the problem most folks have with these groups is:
1.) They travel in large packs which can fill up a ride queue in a hurry or take a lot of fastpasses at one time
2.) The tend to be loud and chant a lot as a group which can be disturbing to others.

Now, that said, I've experienced those exact same problems being present when the cheerleading & dance team competitions were being held, during Pop Warner, and during Magic Music Days, and basically any other large group of teenagers that descend on WDW throughout the year. I have no problems with individuals (at least no more with one group than another. Every group has their jerks). And, as far as the international guests - I love it. I love getting to talk with them, learn, and share the experience with them. So for me, the whole issue is simply at some times these huge roaming packs can really gum up the works and make it difficult to enjoy the experience. That has nothing to do with their culture, just the size of their group and the volume level of some of their chants.

alissantos
06-29-2011, 10:24 AM
I understand your point about the large groups and noise, but it's WDW, right?
Brazil is a country in great development and people are traveling abroad like never before.
I think we have to overthink before saying things, because sometimes even though we don't think we are being disrespectful, we SOUND disrespetcful and, as a Brazilian, it is awful to keep hearing these sort of things.
So, we can be a little more careful about this kind of things and discuss more the wonderful things about our world of magic.:mickey:
That's my opinion.

alaMode
06-29-2011, 10:40 AM
ITA-tour groups in general can be irritating, but then again, WDW is one of the most popular tourist destinations in the world!

I get uncomfortable when certain groups are singled out by ethnicity or culture, when really, IMO, it's about the size of the group, not the make-up of the group.

vicster
06-29-2011, 03:08 PM
I for one love to see the foreign tourists at WDW. We all come from different cultures so we do need to respect one another. Seems like the problem is the age group and you cannot single out one culture for that. The kids are on vacation and excited about it - have a little patience. I've been there many times in July and it's not that big an issue. I've had the same problems at our local mall.

jenperich
06-29-2011, 10:41 PM
DH and I went to WDW last October and one particular Brazilian group was EVERYWHERE!! It must've been a music group because certain kids always had a tamborine! While standing in line for BTMR they played it constantly while other kids jumped in and out of line. Where are the castmembers when we need them?

Aurora
06-29-2011, 11:20 PM
They don't bother me. I just steer clear. And the chanting doesn't bother me either. They're just excited to be there. (Actually, sometimes I think we Americans are so buttoned-down, cluck-cluck-ish that we could stand a little ruckus now and then.)

As far as line-jumping, hopefully if the CMs are preparing themselves, they can take care of the situation when it happens.

Alissantos, as others have said, I think you would see the same complaints about any large, vocal teen groups that come to WDW at the same time. People don't mean to be disrespectful to Brazilians in particular. If chanting Genovian teens traveled in large groups with a flag leader, believe me, there would be posts about Genovian teens.

K8screen
06-30-2011, 05:27 AM
I think the responsibility lies with the adults in charge of the party. If the kids are made to understand how annoying queue jumpimg and chanting are to others, and if the group leaders made some attempt to stop them, instead of ignoring it or even joining in, I think the kids would be more cooperative.
I have taken parties of teens to DL Paris, they understood the need to behave themselves, and we had no problems. We didnt make them travel about as a large group, I think it must be awful to have to go on rides you are scared of or into stores you are not interested in, most of our pupils toured with 2 or 3 like minded friends, some staying with me by choice for all or part of the day, because they said I was a Fastpass and WDW expert. They mostly loved discovering things on their own, then meeting up with others to swap stories and advice on the best rides.
Our pupils spoke no more French than the Brazilians speak English, but they manged fine, and anyway, as others have said, the problems with tour groups are not confined to none US parties.

Dragongirlx
06-30-2011, 11:23 AM
I live and work in Edinburgh and used to work in the Museums and the Scottish Parliament. We used to have really big problems with tour groups but it was never just confined to groups from one country. No matter what country they are from when bigs groups get together they can cause problems (even when they don't mean too).
What helps is staff in the places they are visiting and the people in charge of the group working together to make sure that everyone knows the rules and what kind of behaviour is not acceptable. This works for the majority of groups.
Of course there are always those who will misbehave no matter what. When I worked in the parliament we had one group of Italian students try to steal the bolted down seats in the debate chamber. Turns out they had been banned from the airline they flew in on for stealing the life jackets under the seats. The group leaders just couldn't handle them all.

MickeysEars
07-04-2011, 09:57 PM
we just got back from a 2 week trip and there were A LOT of tour groups. We saw all 20 kids get on the single rider line for Test Track and made the wait go from 10 to 30 min. All we did was when we saw a large group of brightly colored shirts go one way we went the other. No problems though, not really a big deal.

Dixie Springs
07-07-2011, 06:43 PM
Groups in general are a pain. People act differently in groups. The infamous BTG are the flagship group in these discussions, and there is nothing wrong with planning your trip around them. It's not a culture condemnation - they're just obnoxious. Call it like it is. On the other hand, we've succumbed to the various sports/cheerleading teams at AS Sports. They are awful also (mixed bag of ethnicity there, so can't be charged with racism on that comment). The 'chaperones' were hangin' at Team Spirits while these brats had the run of the place.

BrerSchultzy
07-07-2011, 07:50 PM
Knowing where the big groups are helps us navigate the parks better. Several groups in Fantasyland? Time to hit Tomorrowland.

We've never had a bad experience with the tour groups that we haven't had with anyone else (teens running and nearly knocking over my kid, etc.). BUT, we had a magical experience in line for Jungle Cruise. My wife and three year old son were in the FP line, and a tour group was in the standby line. My son has very blonde hair. When one of the girls in the group noticed it she practically squeeled and rubbed his head. Then the other 15 girls with her all squeeled and rubbed his head. He felt like a rock star. They were so sweet to him.

mickey_M_lvr
07-08-2011, 12:02 PM
We have never had any problems with tour groups in the past. Not sure which is worse either the tour groups; or like you know the like cheerleaders that you know are like everywhere and like never stop talking you know. They do gymnastics and practice routine moves while waiting in line. One day you are going to see an accident report because one of them did the splits and hit some poor little kid.

redleg96
07-08-2011, 01:54 PM
For obvious reasons, they obviously don't stay at Shades of Green; for those that are able, it's away to avoid the BTGs, at least at the resort.

Disney4
07-08-2011, 05:16 PM
Just got back yesterday and saw lots of the tour groups in all parks and at POR.

However, what I didn't see was any of them carrying the usual drums or whistles. In fact, other than chants, there was no additional noise-making.

Is this a new restriction by Disney? (I certainly hope so!)

Tink#64
07-09-2011, 01:20 AM
We were there last week & encountered MANY of these groups in EVERY park. I overheard, don't recall where, that they were staying at the AS's resorts. We were at Pop and there weren't any groups there. We didn't have any problems with the BTG's, but who in their right mind wants to follow any VERY large groups into any attraction line que?

While waiting in line at Soarin, tons of kids from one extremely large group, were also in the que, the CM told us that high season for the BTG's starts mid June & goes thru all of July. She didn't voice any complaints, we were just making conversation, but I'd guess large groups of any kind I'm sure pose some challenges! :crowd:

alliekat
07-09-2011, 11:57 AM
I know the tour groups are allowed to be there just like everyone else. But, there really annoying for 3 reasons. 1)They sing all the time,2)They take for ever to finish making all there fastpasses,3)They make the fastpass line not so fast. :(

Susan A
07-09-2011, 04:00 PM
My sister-in-law just got back and said that they also whistle back and forth to each other in the parks. Then two large groups meet up with each other.

texas211
07-09-2011, 07:27 PM
I got back at the end of June after spending 7 days at the parks. My trip started at the AS Music, but due to issues w/ the BTG's, and speaking to Disney Operations/Service, they elected to upgrade me to Dixie Landings. Best thing for all involved.

They were noisy and dominated the resort, and blocking up everything at MK. It's already hard enough to enjoy the MK due to all of its maintenance and ride issues, without having to dodge the BTG's.

Difference b/w the BTGs and the cheerleading groups. CL's are quieter at the hotel, and speak english.

Dixie Springs
07-11-2011, 10:06 PM
Good points texas211. And if Disney has to keep upgrading people because of these nuisances, maybe they'll do something to reign-in the behavior. For what I spend on a WDW vacation, and the precious time I have with family, I will not let some group wreck it. I'll work hard to get them expelled from the park/hotel, or demand a refund/upgrade (or just go at a non-groupy time).

jaredkari
07-12-2011, 07:32 AM
What I love is that when Americans travel overseas, people call us "ugly" if we don't try to follow local custom, but if these tour groups knock your kids over rushing onto the rides, it's a "cultural difference".

Disney World is in the USA. In the USA, we take turns and line up. If you're doing anything else, you are being rude.

AMEN TO THAT!!!!! My wife and I were there a couple of weeks ago and maybe we were seeing the first waves of tour groups coming in and I have to admit they were pretty annoying.

After our trip to WDW we went to the Keys. We were talking to an older couple who said their daughter had been one of several Cinderallas for about twelve years. She said that everyone that worked at WDW dreaded this time of year when all the foreign tour groups showed up. We thought it was kind of funny.

mouseketeer mom
07-12-2011, 08:11 AM
We just got back yesterday. The BTG's were in all four parks during our stay. As a matter of fact, if they weren't there, the parks would've felt empty., which surprised me. The Polynesian was quiet compared to usual. Even easy to get a table around the pool! There were just thousands of these kids in the parks, chanting and swarming and clogging up the fastpass machines and lines. It was horrible heading towards Soarin' for example, and suddenly one of these very quick moving groups was ahead of you. They moved fast, noisily and seemed oblivious to those around them. Soarin' was just bedlam with the screaming and chanting during the ride. Annoying for sure, but of course, we rolled with it. My philosophy has always been that Disney is for everyone. So what can you do?

dnickels
07-12-2011, 08:17 AM
Just wow. :(

jaredkari
07-12-2011, 09:26 AM
Ughhh!!!!! Reading this thread is just getting me angry!!!!:mad: It keeps reminding me of different instances on our last trip that were frustrating with the BTGs.

For example, on Haunted Mansion they were taking flash pictures throughout the entire ride!!! (I hope they enjoyed their pictures of glass and blank walls) During the ride we yelled many times no flash pictures. I even tried to yell in Spanish no pictures, unfortunately I realized they are speaking portuguese!!

I understand WDW is for everyone. But in an instance like this I wish they would have stopped the ride and explained to them NO PICTURES!!!!:mad:

Disney Doll
07-12-2011, 12:00 PM
Reading this thread is getting me angry for a different reason. Really people? It's July. It's going to be crowded. Kids are going to be noisy. Noisy kids speaking English or noisy kids speaking Portuguese. What's the difference? I've encountered the BTG in January and I have no complaints. Actually, I kind of like that they travel in big groups because that way they are easy to avoid. If I spot them heading for Soarin I know that area is going to get crowded so I head off to enjoy the attractions in other areas. It's not like the entire park is overrun. I have also encountered the dreaded cheerleader groups in February with no complaints. Maybe I'm just too busy enjoying my own family to notice.

Mickey'sIrishPAl
07-12-2011, 01:29 PM
Wow, lots of hate in this thread. I do believe that it would be a good time to shut this thread down ( I am honestly surprised and disappointed that it hasn't been deleted already). I can understand that some may have a legitimate point as far as certain areas of the park being busier when these tour groups (Brazilian, cheerleaders, Pop Warner, etc...), but people are making statements that are flat hateful, offensive, and flat out rude. I would hope that those making statements like some that I have read in this thread can take a long, hard look in the mirror and realize that there are times that maybe THEY ARE THE ANNOYING ONES, and don't realize it. So, let me ask you this...you have a disgruntled child that will not stop crying when you are trying to enjoy a show, attraction, what have you. I understand this because they are children and children will sometimes, cry, scream, and carry on. Point being, how many of you (of those who knock these tour groups) can say HONESTLY that you have not lost your cool while in the parks, hotels, DTD?? Parents who lose control and scream at the top of their lungs at a child because they will not stop whatever behavior is annoying you. Repeating over and over, "Stop it, stop it, stop it. Do you want a spanking" for all to hear. This is just ONE example.
My point is, before you go ahead and knock large groups (from possibly non-English speaking countries who paid their money just like you did and are enjoying a vacation, just like you are), think about things throughout each day that maybe others may find offensive, rude, and/ or bothersome. If you don't want to be around these BTGs then go where they are not and mind your own business. They are not there to follow you so don't fololow them. Another thing to think about is, and I believe that I read a few people post about the singing and whistling to one another. Want to know why they are doing this, beyond having fun? Because they are not watching you and judging you. They are having fun with one another and not worrying about what you are doing.
Flame away but think about what you post because alot of people come off as arrogant, rude, and pompous.....more so than any BTG or cheerleader group that i have come across.

MNNHFLTX
07-12-2011, 01:35 PM
Moderator Note--

The original poster was simply asking if the Brazilian Tour Groups were to be expected in the parks in July, and that question seems to have been answered.

Making sweeping negative generalizations about any one group of people is bound to create ill-feelings. While there have been valid points made about bad behavior in the parks (from all groups of people, I might add), some of the comments here have been offensive and even somewhat threatening. That's not what INTERCOT is about, so it's time to close this thread.