PDA

View Full Version : Beach Club Resort

A Big Kid
06-16-2011, 11:17 AM
My wife and I just booked a week at the BCR for the Marathon (January 2012). Part of the reason I booked there is the close proximity to the finish. (I can walk back to the hotel after the marathon.) We've never stayed there before so I'm looking forward to it. But after investigating a little bit, I am not so enamored with the dining choices there.

What say you about dining at the BCR?

BrerGnat
06-16-2011, 11:42 AM
Well, we absolutely LOVED the Beach Club, but I understand what you mean about the dining. I knew before we booked that dining would be an issue, so we "solved" that problem by booking Club Level. Seriously. Our biggest concern was breakfast for our kids (who are perfectly happy with stuff like pastries and fruit, yogurt, toast, etc. but who will NOT eat cold cereal). At the time, our kids were young and would wake up ravenous and need to eat RIGHT THEN. So, staying Club Level alleviated that issue for us. If it had been an adults only trip, honestly, it wouldn't have been such a big deal. The Marketplace actually has a very good selection of items throughout the day, as well as a good "grocery stock" for things you can bring back to your room and eat there if you want.

Hurricane Hannas (poolside) serves up some very good CS burgers, hot dogs, sandwiches, etc. Great for a lunch or light dinner. Also, the Marketplace offers some good deli style sandwiches as well.

For sit down options, we really liked the Captain's Grille at the YC, but you also have the option of Cape May Buffet if you want to do that. Also, there is Beaches and Cream, although you'd have to wait for a table at that one.

Honestly, though, what we found REALLY handy was the ability to walk over to the Dolphin where there is a plethora of dining options, both TS and CS. And, the Boardwalk is a short walk as well, where you can grab quick bites such as pizza by the slice (actually, fairly decent pizza too!), salads and sandwiches at the Bakery, and treats/ice cream at the Seashore Sweets.

And, not to be outdone, World Showcase is literally a 5 min walk from the BC. There are numerous options right there!

You won't go hungry at the BC. If you happen to find yourself laid up in your room following the marathon, you can also order room service anytime!

I'd stick with BC. And, good luck on the run!

brownie
06-16-2011, 12:02 PM
We love Cape May Cafe for breakfast. The clam bake buffet at Cape May Cafe for dinner was okay. You have Beaches & Cream there, and the burgers have always been good (and you can get a Kitchen Sink!)

You're in walking distance of the Boardwalk, so you have those dining options, too. You can also go into Epcot if you have park tickets to use.

lylone
06-16-2011, 12:09 PM
There are two really great quiet places over at the Yacht Club. I highly recommend the Captain's Grill for Breakfast and Yachtman's Steak house for dinner. Cape May Cafe and Beaches and Cream were too chaotic for us when we stayed there. You also have Flying Fish Cafe over at the Boardwalk. And you can always find a place at World Showcase in Epcot.

There are MANY choices for food around the BCR. Tons more than most resorts at Disney.

UCJen
06-16-2011, 12:22 PM
Here's another endorsement for the Captain's Grille. We tried it last year and before we went, I looked at the breakfast buffet menu at the WDW. I thought it was "meh." But I was pleasantly surprised when I got there. The online menus don't accurately reflect what is available. I was kind of worried because I'm a vegetarian, but there are many choices for everyone. They have this bread pudding that is absolutely nom. :cloud9:

Plus, nobody really knows about it. It was really empty when we went and that was nice change of pace. A family of 6 came in behind us and were seated immediately. We weren't rushed at all and had a great server. :mickey:

spoiledraf
06-16-2011, 12:23 PM
I'm guessing that since you are a runner, as I once was before the legs went bad, you are also sports minded and you are a short walk away from ESPN. They have a sports minded menu in a fun atmosphere. And just inside World Showcase is the Rose and Crown. You really are a ten minute walk from just about any kind of dining you like. Several steak houses, several bar and grille style, breakfast buffets, dinner buffets, And World showcase with every type you can imagine. the only thing you really don't have is a food court but Hurricane hannas serves well as a quick seve center for food and drinks. You even have access to Disney Studios about a 15 minute boat ride away with more options. When you consider whats within a 20 minute walk/ride, it's could be the best food location in the park. :mickey:

DisneyDINK
06-16-2011, 12:25 PM
As far as the race/recovery food and drinks go, I'm sure you'll bring your own. You might want to do a garden grocer or other service that delivers groceries to your hotel on check-in; that's a must for me now (bottled water, snacks, etc.) If you want some ideas about race nutrition feel free to PM me, but I'm guessing you've got that covered.

There's that bakery over at the BW that is convenient for morning coffee, bagels, muffins, etc.

A walk down to the Swan/Dolphin will get you a 24 hour QS option (Picabu?).

I can't really see how you'd be any worse off there. I'd say you'd be better off; you can walk to a lot of places, whereas if you're at the CBR, POR, Values, WL or OKW you would be more isolated. Staying at the Epcot resorts means you have a ton of choices without having to take a bus first.

A Big Kid
06-16-2011, 04:35 PM
Thanks all. I never thought about the Swan and Dolphin.

I am not a big fan of the buffet that is why I am turned off by Cape May for breakfast or dinner. (Although my post marathon tradition is a seat at 'Ohana.)

MarkC
06-16-2011, 04:40 PM
Another vote for Cape May, but if you count all the Boardwalk options and World Showcase, I think it is the best location for dining practically anywhere. You may have to walk 5 or 10 minutes, but if you were in a big city you would do that anyway. You'll love BC.

spoiledraf
06-16-2011, 05:44 PM

I am not a big fan of the buffet that is why I am turned off by Cape May for breakfast or dinner. (Although my post marathon tradition is a seat at 'Ohana.)

You can order from a menu as well

January-2007
07-04-2011, 08:22 PM
The Beach Club Marketplace had great gelato, clam chowder, fruit cups, and pastries. They have lots of yummy hot tea choices as well for the refillable mugs. Beaches and Cream is really good as is the dinner at Cape May. I think this restaurant has higher quality than a lot of buffets, so I would recommend it even for a one plate dinner.

renecat
07-05-2011, 10:40 AM
You should try Cat Cora's new place on the Boardwalk. We tried it for the first time in April and it now is one of our favorites. I believe it is called Kozzina. Captains grill is a good place to eat also.

Jillirose
07-05-2011, 06:45 PM

We loved the poolside restaurant at the Dolphin :thumbsup: Also, agree with other posters: many food options at and around BC.

A Big Kid
07-06-2011, 11:46 AM
Thanks for all the replies, but I guess it doesnt matter anyway.:blush:

We were able to book the Poly 1/7to 1/13, with a Theme Park View for $2281.:party:

That's 40% off rack rates using my wife's travel industry discount.:mickey:

January-2007
07-06-2011, 06:44 PM
Nice! We look very forward to staying at the Polynesian someday- hope you have an awesome time!

Melanie
07-06-2011, 07:08 PM
Thanks for all the replies, but I guess it doesnt matter anyway.:blush:

We were able to book the Poly 1/7to 1/13, with a Theme Park View for $2281.:party:

That's 40% off rack rates using my wife's travel industry discount.:mickey:

Awww, why did you switch? Love the Boardwalk area hotels.

But really, if you think about it, from where the finish line is, your travel back to the Poly will involve less walking than if you stay at the BC.

We are staying at the Wilderness Lodge for the marathon this year. We will be hitting the monorail right after with you. ;)

A Big Kid
07-06-2011, 08:52 PM
But really, if you think about it, from where the finish line is, your travel back to the Poly will involve less walking than if you stay at the BC.

We are staying at the Wilderness Lodge for the marathon this year. We will be hitting the monorail right after with you. ;)

It was more about GETTING to the marathon. Poly is easiest by far with just a simple walk to the TTC.

Also influencing our decision was the ease of my wife spectating. (TTC, other side of Poly, then monrail to Epcot for the finish.

One more thing, a after marathon 5:00 pm seating at ohana and a waddle back to the room.

disneymom2000
07-15-2011, 11:39 PM
Well at least now you can eat at Kona and have Tonga toast.

A Big Kid
07-16-2011, 09:53 AM
Well at least now you can eat at Kona and have Tonga toast.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: