PDA

View Full Version : So, What's wrong with the Imagination Pavilion??

SpaceMountainManiac
06-12-2011, 07:33 AM
I have'nt been to WDW for 3 years but I'm returning in 3 weeks time but I'm curious as to why a lot of people HATE the imagination pavilion. Has HISTK gone and replaced by Captain EO? I liked them both. What needs updating? Have people run out of imagination ? Have the imagineers? Is the increase in thrill rides eclipsing imagaination/magic/dreams of the parks?

SBETigg
06-12-2011, 08:22 AM
I don't hate it. It's not one that I make a beeline for, true enough, but we usually stop in once a trip. There's just not a lot to hold the interest there for us now. Journey into Imagination is cute, but not that repeatable- a nice rest to get out of the heat, seldom a line. Honey I Shrunk the Audience has been replaced by Captain EO, and I could gladly skip that, very dated and uninspiring. The pavilion itself is out of the way and there's really nothing to draw me over there repeatedly. It could use some new life. Similarly, Universe of Energy. I haven't been there in years.

WDWfanatic742
06-12-2011, 08:51 AM
I think it's not as much as it's 'bad' now, just more of how good people felt it was back in the day. Then they replaced the first Figment with a really horrible replacement and at least made that version better. Then they neglected HISTA and just replaced it with another show that was there previously.

And about UoE, I just have a feeling that pavilion is going to be the next big thing that is going to be updated/changed. I'll really feel bad when that day comes because I have so many childhood memories from it and still love it to this day, but even I know it's days are numbered...

EpcotFan182
06-12-2011, 11:20 AM
I don't think there is anything necessarily bad about the Imagination pavilion, but I also don't think it's one of Epcot's headliners. I know when I go there, it's usually the last thing I'll do in Future World before I head off to WS. I enjoyed HISTA more than I do Captain EO, and I also enjoy the ride with Figment. However, the pavilion is not something I'll run to at rope drop, it's almost like an afterthought.

As far as UoE, I agree it needs some updating. I really like the pavilion but I remember the last time I was there saying to myself it's really dated. If they do change it I agree it will be a sad day because it's one of my first memories of WDW!

Polynesian Dweller
06-12-2011, 11:48 AM
Didn't like Captain EO the first time around and still don't and it is dated.

The problem with the Pavillion is it's called Imagination and now feels like one of the least imaginative places in WDW.

UCJen
06-12-2011, 12:50 PM
If you had seen it in its heyday, you would realize it is just a mere shell of what it used to be.

If you are interested in "old skool Epcot", you can see lots of videos at Martin's Videos. He makes videos of WDW attractions, shows, and parades-- old and new (including the Imagination Pavilion). You can get a good sense of what it was like. :mickey:

ransam
06-12-2011, 12:56 PM
i was actually going to post something like this earlier. I really like the imagination pavilion. not a big fan of EO. but i like it in general. i will say if there is one pavilion i spend the most time each trip, it is the imagination pavilion.

Buttercup
06-12-2011, 02:16 PM
Well, the ride is definitely not as good as the original, but it's alright. I don't really find it imaginative, especially by Disney standards, but it's cute and my 3yo and 6yo like it.

The part I have a real dislike for is the pavillion after the ride. How is that imaginative? It's mostly computers that don't often work, the music conducting Figments, and the squares you can step on to make sounds... which also don't work most of the time. Oh, and there's a gift shop where you can get your picture taken of course.

If you remember the original Imagination pavillion, there were so many more neat experiences that seem to have been taken away. Does anyone remember the giant tables made of pins that you could stick your hands under, or the giant screen tv's that you could paint Figment, or the huge rainbow hallway that the colours followed you when you walked? Those things are gone now and with today's technology, the pavillion should have way more incredible things. Even the building used to be impressive (with the glass ceiling) which is now covered up and you can't go upstairs anymore. :( It's not terrible, and I certainly don't hate it, but it's disappointing to say the least.

darthmacho
06-12-2011, 03:37 PM
I thought HISTA was dated, and Captain EO doesn't interest me at all. Meanwhile, I like Figment and the music, but I just don't like the ride, which has a very weak storyline. I never saw the original, yet I wish they'd bring it back...or make something better. :mickey:

ryca1dreams
06-12-2011, 03:58 PM
The problem with the Pavillion is it's called Imagination and now feels like one of the least imaginative places in WDW.

Exactly.

TheMartellFamily
06-12-2011, 04:06 PM
It is my younger son's favorite in EPCOT. He loves Figment, the issue he is there in small amounts. I remember the upstairs had so many great things to do. Now that is all closed off and all on the ground floor. What ideas are there to improve it to what it used to be?

Joannelet
06-12-2011, 08:42 PM
If you remember the original Imagination pavillion, there were so many more neat experiences that seem to have been taken away. Does anyone remember the giant tables made of pins that you could stick your hands under, or the giant screen tv's that you could paint Figment, or the huge rainbow hallway that the colours followed you when you walked? Those things are gone now and with today's technology, the pavillion should have way more incredible things. Even the building used to be impressive (with the glass ceiling) which is now covered up and you can't go upstairs anymore. :( It's not terrible, and I certainly don't hate it, but it's disappointing to say the least.

Omg I am soooo happy that you mentioned the tables with the pins! My sisters and I would RUN to that part after the ride.....That area use to be soooo fun and when I am in it now my heart literally drops because that "fun" that use to be there just isn't. I was just there in May and said to my hubby...oh I wish you could have seen this place in its heyday. That room was sooo much fun! My niece has one of those pin tables at home and everytime I play with it I always say "they use to have this at Disney World!" How I wish it was all still there as well as the original Figment ride. But yes the Imagination pavilion has well lost its imagination.

DisneyGiant
06-12-2011, 09:07 PM

Bingo!

MickeysEars
06-13-2011, 10:05 AM
we were there in Dec and the only thing in the pavillion itself was the conducting Figment and stepping on the ground tiles...the rest was all boarded up. Does anyone know if it is updated yet?

AlliMo
06-13-2011, 10:22 AM
there is nothing inspiring about feeling like your in a basement of some mall...Everytime I go in I imagine what the beautiful upstairs used to feel like...being able to look up and see the sky...it's a sad version now of what it once was.

Stu29573
06-13-2011, 11:07 AM
The original ride was wonderful and actually had a point. It refected the way the human imagination actually works, with associatiative thought and had a very cute story line. Dreamfinder was the "human" aspect and Figment was literally a growth of his imagination.

The problem was that the turntable at the beginning of the ride didn't work well. If it came out of sync even slightly with the ride vehicles (which was often) the whole attraction would come to a hault. It was decided in teh referb to completely rework the ride to eliminate this issue...and while they were at it to tie the whole thing in with HISTA.

The crowds hated it. I mean REALLY hated it. Dreamfinder and Figment were gone and with them any feeling of whimsy. Also the point of the ride was changed. Now it focused more on sensory experience than imagination. And thus a huge "What the Heck Were They Thinking" legend was born.

So, in a rare instance of Disney admitting a mistake, they referbed it again. This time, it seemed like they stuck Figment into every nook and cranny they could find. "You want Figment? We'll give you a million of 'em!" However, they misunderstood what they problem really was. It wasn't that Figment was gone, it was that the point and whimsy of the ride was destroyed.

And so it now sits. The ride is slighly above The Three Caballeros in interest...well, maybe not. The pavillion itself it literally rotting away. Every time I go, there is less working there, and more boarded up. With the loss of a sponsor (and who could blame them?) the future looks very bleak indeed.

MickeysEars
06-13-2011, 03:17 PM
what was in the upstairs?

WDWfanatic742
06-13-2011, 03:29 PM
ImageWorks used to be all entirely upstairs, but with the change to the ride length (I can't remember the percentage of how much the track was reduced, but it was extensive) they moved it downstairs where it is now.

Imagineer1981
06-13-2011, 05:26 PM
Considering its called the Imagination Pavillion, its quite unimaginative. I think with today's technologies there should be a good way to revamp the attraction

Goes4FastPass
06-13-2011, 05:36 PM
My understanding was the 'Works' was moved downstairs to make it ADA compliant.

Antique Captain EO is so far below Walt Disney World's standards. Should a 3D movie in EPCOT pale in comparison to what's playing at 3D IMAX theaters at malls across the country?

lindique
06-13-2011, 06:49 PM
A couple of years ago, I took the EPCOT tour the UnDiscovered Future World. We actually went upstairs in the Imagination Pavilion. The table with the pins was still there (collecting quite a lot of dust!), as was the colorful "tunnel" (I don't remember what it used to be called). It was great seeing all of those things again - from when Future World was really great!