PDA

View Full Version : Wonders of Life

figmagination
06-09-2011, 12:56 AM
I was recently reading about Epcot and all the original attractions it had, and I stumbled upon Wonders of Life. I knew that building always sat there next to Universe of Energy, but I never knew what it was. So I began reading and it sounded really cool, except they closed it. I know it has housed the Epcot Flower and Garden Festival and the Epcot International Food and Wine Festival seasonally, but nothing has ever been going on in the building when I was there. I was wondering if someone could tell me why it closed and if there's any plans for a new attraction or a reopening of sorts?

DizneyRox
06-09-2011, 06:12 AM
Popularity and cost cutting...

The only thing most people went there for was body wars, which was very dated. Cranium Command was cute, the first time you saw it, but most people wouldn't know Hans and Franz from from Adam either. The rest, if I can remember right, was just small little exhibits that drained the admin budget.

I'm guessing as attendance dropped post 9/11 and newer higher capacity attractions opened, Disney, rightly so, didn't feel it necessary to staff the pavillion.

And so it sits...

DisneyDINK
06-09-2011, 09:56 AM
I know it wasn't everyone’s cup of tea, but I really enjoyed "The Making of Me".

"Cranium Command" was another favorite of mine, but I concede not everyone felt the same way.

"Body Wars" - I don't really miss it.

AlliMo
06-09-2011, 10:44 AM
Yep...it makes me sad to think that disney would redo a ride like JII which was perfectly fine to begin with, but wouldn't think to update a pavillion like WoL :confused:

Polynesian Dweller
06-09-2011, 11:22 AM
Yep...it makes me sad to think that disney would redo a ride like JII which was perfectly fine to begin with, but wouldn't think to update a pavillion like WoL :confused:

Wonders of Life was sponsored by Metlife and closed after Metlife did not renew its sponsorship. The sponsor pulls out, well, the attraction eventually will close if a new sponsor isn't found to help cover the bills. Even at that the new sponsor will often want changes so the attraction is modified. Sponsorships have been part of Disney from the first day Disneyland opened.

joonyer
06-09-2011, 11:50 AM
Cranium Command was one of our favorites. Wish they would bring this back somewhere.

slegrant
06-09-2011, 12:00 PM
Bring back Horizon's:mickey:

figmagination
06-10-2011, 12:25 AM
Thanks for all the help! So there isn't a current plan for the pavillion? It's just going to sit there?

DizneyRox
06-10-2011, 04:46 AM
I'm sure there are quite a few plans for WoL, at various budget levels, waiting for sales to find someone to pay for it. Until then, I wouldn't hold your breath on It opening. It has been offline for many major holidays. Those holidays are usually when these seasonal listings get open. You see, by opening the attraction at high attendence times, they would be allowed to let more guests into the park (park attendence is limited by fire codes and other things and changes based on open attractions, staffing, etc.

Since they haven't used it, my guess is they haven't needed it, or the cost to maintain it at a level where it could be opened as needed exceeds the benefits of opening it.

I suspect it will never see the light of day again as was...

figmagination
06-11-2011, 12:02 AM
You make a good point. I do wish they'd at least use it for something that everyone could enjoy.

Imagineer1981
06-13-2011, 05:30 PM
I wouldn't think the building will forever be empty. Something new will go there. Even one of the skyway buildings is finally being used, although technically torn down and replaced, but eventually I think they will do something there. Its a good chunk of real estate.

Polynesian Dweller
06-13-2011, 05:39 PM
I wouldn't think the building will forever be empty. Something new will go there. Even one of the skyway buildings is finally being used, although technically torn down and replaced, but eventually I think they will do something there. Its a good chunk of real estate.

Torn down and replaced is the most likely scenario. The building is not a high quality building and various reports indicate it has lots of problems. It won't happen until there is a new sponsor and then the building will go the way of Horizons.

ValenciaCalling
06-20-2011, 03:29 PM
They should really dedicate a section in Epcot that's purely nostalgic. If they are going to tear down almost every original attraction, they owe it to us to at least create some sort of "Looking Back at the Future" pavilion or exhibiton in the same style as Walt Disney: One Man's Dream. It would be a great place to browse during Food and Wine. They could use some of the open space in the Wonders of Life pavilion. I know for a fact that most of the stuff they had on display in the room across from the Electric Umbrella is still there. You can see it through the crack of the locked door. They should really put that stuff to good use.

figmagination
06-20-2011, 11:53 PM
I know for a fact that most of the stuff they had on display in the room across from the Electric Umbrella is still there. You can see it through the crack of the locked door. They should really put that stuff to good use.

Really? That's neat. I think I'll have to have a peak at that!

ValenciaCalling
06-21-2011, 02:31 PM
Yeah. Hopefully it's still there. It's in the room when you're walking down the corridor through the double doors, and the timeline is on the wall to your right. It might be pretty dark, but you should be able to see through the crack. Let me know if it's still like that. haha

SandmanGStefani24
06-21-2011, 03:16 PM
Torn down and replaced is the most likely scenario. The building is not a high quality building and various reports indicate it has lots of problems. It won't happen until there is a new sponsor and then the building will go the way of Horizons.

I had heard this too. Some of the pix from the last event held there (garden festival?) showed it to be run down and not well looked after. What a shame. Maybe if enough people take pictures and talk about it enough it will get fixed like POP's old and rotting away 2nd building. Now look at it!

BTW Another Body Wars lover here!! Surely a newer updated version of the ride would be perfect for Epcot...