PDA

View Full Version : Where is the best place to buy home appliances?

BrerGnat
06-08-2011, 04:56 PM
We will be needing to buy a washer/dryer and a refrigerator when we move. Where is the best place to do so? We need delivery AND installation, as we don't have the time or know-how to do it ourselves.

Suggestions?

(Please don't say Sears...I HATE Sears!)

cajunprincess
06-08-2011, 05:39 PM
Lowes. I just bought a new washer/dryer there in April. Got a great deal on my new Maytags, and I LOVE LOVE LOVE them!!!

Melanie
06-08-2011, 05:41 PM
Lowes and Home Depot both offer a 10% military discount as well, Nat. :thumbsup:

BrerGnat
06-08-2011, 05:53 PM
Lowes and Home Depot both offer a 10% military discount as well, Nat. :thumbsup:

What? Really??? I had no idea about that! Thanks. :thumbsup:

Good, there is a Lowe's very close to our new home. That's the place I was thinking about, but wanted opinions of people's actual experiences.

BrerGnat
06-08-2011, 05:54 PM
Lowes. I just bought a new washer/dryer there in April. Got a great deal on my new Maytags, and I LOVE LOVE LOVE them!!!

Mind sharing which ones you got? I'm in the research phase. Looking for reviews...

Daisy'sMom
06-08-2011, 06:35 PM
We brought our new Maytags (washer and dryer) from Home Depot. The only problem we had was when the guys delivered and installed, one of them had just started working for Home Depot and put a little hole in the floor. Since it was in the laundry room and no one goes in there except the cat and myself, I put a little glue on it and said forget it. The guy was so upset but it was a harmless accident.
I am rambling. Home Depot and Lowes!:mickey:
If you are getting a washer and getting a front loader, just make sure the drum is not made of plastic. I heard they have alot of mildew issues. Ours is metal. We keep the detergent draw open and do not close the door when it is not in use. Never had any kind of problem.

BrerGnat
06-08-2011, 06:42 PM
We are not getting front loaders. I have heard too many griefs about those. I don't want a high maintenance appliance. Plus, my kids would shut the door every time they saw it open. They're OCD like that. ;)

DizneyRox
06-08-2011, 07:11 PM
I would say anywhere other than WorstBuy.

I'm usually not big into the "little guy" as when buying a commodity, is just that a commodity, so you're buying the same thing anywhere you go so it boils down to price, HOWEVER, they don't make things like they used to, and that's where the mom and pop shop can shine. Appliances are serviceable for the most part, keyword is SERVICE.

Check out your local appliance shop. We outfitted our kitchen in Viking, and the local guys made sure we were happy. But when you're dropping that much, maybe they have to.

But never a transfer, never a no-show, never a problem getting someone to take a look.

Half the time, a can't even get HD to pick up the phone to check their hours.

diz_girl
06-09-2011, 03:10 PM
I agree that service is the key. Try your local mom & pop store. You get great service and (usually) competitive pricing.

We just bought a new house and the previous owners took the washer & dryer with them, much to our surprise since it was in the contract that they remain. But I digress. So we needed a new washer & dryer installed before we moved in, so I went to the local hardware & appliance store. I entered the store at 12:30 p.m., ordered and paid for the w&d at 1 p.m. and they were delivered and installed by 3 p.m. I highly doubt that I could get that level of service from Home Depot or Lowe's.

We also used local stores back at our old house in NJ and were very pleased with their prices and service.

Kairi_7378
06-11-2011, 12:38 AM
We have had a good experience with Sears.

BrerGnat
06-11-2011, 03:51 PM
We have had a good experience with Sears.

I've had SO many bad experiences with Sears that I will not consider them at all. Just too much aggravation!

Kairi_7378
06-12-2011, 10:40 AM
I've had SO many bad experiences with Sears that I will not consider them at all. Just too much aggravation!

Oh dear! I guess it shows that there can be a lot of variation even among the chains. Both we and two of my friend have had some bad experiences with Lowe's.

MNNHFLTX
06-12-2011, 04:56 PM
Natalie, I think finding a reliable source for buying appliances is one of the hardest things out there, even in a big city like Houston. We have had hit-or-miss experiences with pretty much everyone. When we bought our last appliance, a front-loading clothes washer about a year ago, we looked at all the major sources--Lowes, Home Depot, Best Buy, Frys, Conn's (they were the worst, IMO) and Sears. They either had sketchy delivery dates (Lowes said they couldn't deliver the washer I wanted for over 3 weeks!), poor customer service or higher prices than I thought was reasonable. We finally went with Sears, since they had the item in stock, it was on sale and would be delivered/installed within two days. I also ended up buying a slightly dented pedestal at the Sears clearance outlet on the south side of Houston for a big savings. Anyway, I'm not trying to convince you that Sears is the way to go, just that I can relate to your quandry. It's harder to find a good place to buy appliances than it is to find a good doctor!