PDA

View Full Version : So, what's wrong with the globe??

SpaceMountainManiac
06-08-2011, 04:11 PM
Listening to one of the podcasts, I realised that the globe in the World Showcase lake at EPCOT was'nt everybody's favourite fireworks prop! Is it that bad? What could replace it? Maybe a big Justin Bieber head? NO!! I was joking Imagineers!!! Seriously though, redundant or refurbish the globe?

Melanie
06-08-2011, 04:25 PM
Listening to one of the podcasts, I realised that the globe in the World Showcase lake at EPCOT was'nt everybody's favourite fireworks prop! Is it that bad?

Oh, don't worry. It's everyone's favorite BUT mine, and apparently I'm just weird, so there's nothing wrong with it. lol! :D

Here's my assessment of Illuminations: Reflections of Earth -

:beer:----> :party:----> :fworks:----> GLOOOOOBE ----->:unsure:----> :sleepin:---->:fworks:----> :beer:

What could replace it?

An entirely new show. It's time! I do love the music though.

Zawadi
06-08-2011, 04:43 PM
Here's my assessment of Illuminations: Reflections of Earth -

:beer:----> :party:----> :fworks:----> GLOOOOOBE ----->:unsure:----> :sleepin:---->:fworks:----> :beer:

:rotfl:
As a piece of engineering I find the globe fascinating. However, I find that part of the show is a bit drawn out.

spoiledraf
06-08-2011, 09:41 PM
Maybe it's just me but i have never cared much for the Epcot show. If it wasn't for the fact that it's within walking distance to the Beach Club I probably wouldn't bother to go see it.

Lets get some Disney Magic in the show!:pixie:

Ian
06-09-2011, 08:18 AM
I am the biggest IllumiNations fan anywhere and even I find the globe portion a tad dull.

I think they could improve the show by replacing that part with pretty much anything. Or shortening it and getting rid of that part completely. Or just blowing more stuff up instead. That would be best. ;)

Melanie
06-09-2011, 08:25 AM
And another thing that bothers me about that globe - they bring it out mid afternoon every day and it sits there in the lagoon messing up perfectly good picture opportunities. Seriously, that is one ugly thing in broad daylight.

Bay Lake
06-09-2011, 08:40 AM
I think that lagoon world be a perfect spot for a WDW version of World of Color.

:fworks::fworks::fworks::fworks::fworks:

SBETigg
06-09-2011, 08:50 AM
I like it. I agree that it's pretty ugly out in full daylight, though. I wouldn't mind a show change, either. More emphasis on the individual countries again, maybe.

ThanxForNoticin
06-09-2011, 12:34 PM
We could certainly do with less of the globe. We love Illuminations, but the globe piece is a bit boring, long, and often very hard to see clearly. For as big as the globe is, it's hard to appreciate the video they display during the show.

2Epcot
06-09-2011, 12:45 PM
I'm not a fan of the globe either.

I think that lagoon world be a perfect spot for a WDW version of World of Color.

A World of Color show for Epcot would need to be modified. The current show is designed to be viewed primarily from one direction. A show in the World Showcase lagoon would need to be designed to be a 360º show, so people could have a good view no matter where they are standing.

Polynesian Dweller
06-09-2011, 02:35 PM
And another thing that bothers me about that globe - they bring it out mid afternoon every day and it sits there in the lagoon messing up perfectly good picture opportunities. Seriously, that is one ugly thing in broad daylight.

While I agree that it messes up photos, can't think of what else they could do. Got to bring everything out and set it in place and make it's all going to work. You want the workers to do that when they have proper lighting for the job. Also, bring it out later and they would disrupt traffic during the times people are trying to get to their ADRs.

Polynesian Dweller
06-09-2011, 02:37 PM
Separate post to say that I am no fan of the globe either. For us it seems up bring the show to a halt. The move across the lagoon takes way too long.

BrerGnat
06-09-2011, 02:53 PM
I use the globe portion of the show to start walking closer to the exit. :thumbsup:

It's boring. The show should be modified to include a 360 degree firing of fireworks from all around World Showcase and Future World. THAT would be amazing!

Stu29573
06-09-2011, 04:15 PM
I've never been a huge Illuminations fan, so the globe kind of fits in with my overall assessment. In other words, I don't think changing it would change my mind much. Having said that, Ian's idea of blowing more stuff up sounds very interesting!

Bellerella
06-09-2011, 05:16 PM
Personally, I like the globe. I think it really adds to the meaning of the show- I enjoy the fact that there is more to the show than fireworks. My favorite part is standing there, and realizing that you are standing there amongst people from around the world! I think the globe ties in all of those feelings. :mickey:

Scar
06-10-2011, 10:27 AM
I am the biggest IllumiNations fan anywhere and even I find the globe portion a tad dull.

I think they could improve the show by replacing that part with pretty much anything. Or shortening it and getting rid of that part completely. Or just blowing more stuff up instead. That would be best. ;):ditto: Double :ditto:

If Wishes is going off at the same time, you can see it from Germany. A nice little distraction during the boring part.

crltkcagle
06-10-2011, 11:14 AM
I am another one who is not a fan. I know everyone's favorite show is illuminatioins, everyone but me! I just don't get the whole thrill of it. :shrug:

dizneydeb22
06-10-2011, 02:36 PM

That is a fantastic idea!!!

ValenciaCalling
06-20-2011, 03:13 PM
I'd love it if they cut out the really sad parts.

teamblackwell
06-21-2011, 01:22 AM
As far as a technology feature, the globe is a bit dated. 10+ years ago, the globe seemed cutting edge technology, not so much today. Maybe they can figure out a way to do more interesting stuff with it.
On the plus side to Illuminations, The pre-show soundtrack is one of my favorite playlists on my mp3 player.

Fastpasssteve
06-21-2011, 02:08 AM
During the globe movement portion of the program, the rhythm of the show (and music) does slow down...so as to build back up at the end. But the globe is the only thing moving or happening at that moment.

Perhaps if they added another layer or element a that moment...like a layer of fog or mist on the surface of the lagoon lighted with blue or purple lighting...making it look as if the globe was floating.

Just a suggestion.

brownie
06-21-2011, 08:23 AM
I like the globe. The images seemed to be much clearer on our trip last year compared to previous trips (our most recent trip before last year was in 2004.)