PDA

View Full Version : Skyway

figmagination
06-08-2011, 12:25 AM
With the removal of the Skyway from Fantasyland, I was wondering why the Skyway closed in the first place. It seemed to be a good idea, but I never got to experience it because it was way before my time. Did they just close it down for a refurbishment and never open it again, or was there something bigger behind its closing?

WDWfanatic742
06-08-2011, 01:53 AM
Depends on who you ask and what they believe to be true.

Internet rumor leads you to believe that they closed it almost a year after a custodial worker was killed while cleaning a platform when the ride was started up.

The explanation that seems more reasonable and believable is that the ride cost alot to operate, and had very low guest capacities. Not to mention all of the people that would throw stuff off from the cabs (or do worse than that to those below), and it just made sense that it's time had come...

DisneyFr33k
06-08-2011, 04:58 AM
I had also read somewhere it violated laws requiring it being accessible for the handicapped?

btharvey
06-08-2011, 07:09 AM
Disney was fined for OSHA violations related to the Skyway death ... basically, the guy got pushed off the loading platform by a gondola, he hung on for a minute before falling from full height into the park.

But all the rest of it is reasonable, too ... I wouldn't want to be underneath when somebody's wooden sandal dropped on my head from on high.

Mickey'sIrishPAl
06-08-2011, 07:55 AM
But all the rest of it is reasonable, too ... I wouldn't want to be underneath when somebody's wooden sandal dropped on my head from on high.

I would take 10 wooden sandles to the dome rather than some of the alternatives (ignorant people spitting, throwing gum or food, etc).

steamboat willy
06-08-2011, 08:38 AM
I was lucky (and old enough) to have been able to enjoy the sights and sounds of riding OVER the crowds and roof tops of the Magic Kingdom aboard the SKYWAY from Fantasy Land to Tomorrowland or visa versa.
It was a neat experience at night with all the twinkling lights and music playing (Peter Pans Flight and the Speedway) as you quietly moved overhead.
I to am sorry that it is a ride from the past!:(

slegrant
06-08-2011, 08:45 AM
Growing up in Florida not to far from my favorite place I got to ride the Skyway many, many times and loved that ride. Even today I will tell my kids stories about this ride, such as the ride stopping over Dumbo when the fireworks were going off and how pretty it was to ride at night. I think Walt would have loved this ride:mickey:

Stu29573
06-08-2011, 10:59 AM
Although I never rode it at night, the day time experience was very nice too. I liked the feeling of riding the car up to the turning pylon and then back down again to either Fantasyland or Tomorrowland. I think the WDW ride was the only one that did that...

Daisy'sMom
06-08-2011, 11:34 AM
i remember that this ride was a favorite, loved it at night.:mickey:

figmagination
06-08-2011, 11:39 AM
Ok, so I was reading about the guy who fell. I found out that the ride had been scheduled to close prior to the incident. The guy fell on February 14th, 1999, and they permanently closed the ride on November 10th, 1999. So it looks like they were planning to already before he died, but I found no reason online. Thanks for all the help!

Basket Mommy
06-08-2011, 12:04 PM
I loved it. Rode it on my honeymoon in 1996. I wish I had taken pictures! It took less time to walk from Fantasyland to Tomorrowland than it did to stand in line and ride from one to the other, so I guess it just wasn't useful as transportation (kind of like the boat taxis in Animal Kingdom...) but it was a great experience. They used to have something similar at Six Flags in Georgia. They might still, but I haven't been there since high school.

biodtl
06-08-2011, 12:09 PM
I was so sad on my first trip after the Skyway closed. Like TTA, it was a great way to relax and get off your feet while still being on a ride. Plus it had the added bonus of getting you across the park.

Auntie B
06-08-2011, 12:15 PM
We got to ride it in October 1999 and thought it was so relaxing and the view was great! Was sad to see it go.

EJS-Houston
06-08-2011, 12:22 PM
It was indeed a great ride, but I believe that in addition to all the problems already enumerated, it couldn't operate during any kind of inclement weather.

ransam
06-08-2011, 12:23 PM
i always liked the ride too, but it isn't just WDW that closed them down. they use to ahve skyways in almost every park i remember visiting as a child, but now they are no where to be seen. I am sure it had more to do w/ the fact it's not a people mover, lacked thrills, and of course things that people did once up high and out of site.

DisneyDINK
06-08-2011, 12:36 PM
Sometimes I think the overwhelming majority of us, those who frequent the boards, would always oppose the closing and removal of any WDW attraction on principle.

I have fond memories of the skyway at both WDW and DL, but I’m OK with them decommissioning it. In addition to what has been said I didn’t like being able to see the backs of the show buildings, air conditioning units, bare rooftops, etc. From ground level Disney themes decorates and controls the scenery; on the Skyway all bets were off.

Add to this most families had that one person that was afraid of heights and wouldn’t ride it. If you won’t go on space Mountain you can meet me at the exit. If you won’t go on the Skyway I’ll either have to round-trip or you’ll have to meet me at the other station, in which case, you’ll probably be there before I will.

Disney-4-Me
06-08-2011, 12:49 PM
i always liked the ride too, but it isn't just WDW that closed them down. they use to ahve skyways in almost every park i remember visiting as a child, but now they are no where to be seen. I am sure it had more to do w/ the fact it's not a people mover, lacked thrills, and of course things that people did once up high and out of site.

There's still one at the Illinois State Fair in Springfield! It's no Disney Park but we have a skyway.:thumbsup:

Riding the Skyway was the reason we brought umbrella strollers when my boys were little. It was the only stroller you could take with you on the Skyway. Just another memory tidbit...;)

joonyer
06-08-2011, 01:48 PM
As others have said, it was a combination of things. OSHA standards, ride had to be stopped to load wheelchairs, it had to be stop operating during windy conditions, much less rain/lightning. low capacity, and too many people throwing dropping spitting, etc. It got to be more trouble than it was worth. You could walk from one station to the other, and back in less time than waiting in line to board. It was fun, and you could see behind the scenes, show buildings etc., which I though was kinda neat. I don't know if that had anything to do with the decision to close it or not. The one at Disneyland had developed some cracks in one of the towers, which led to it being shut down and removed.

kathiep
06-10-2011, 11:23 AM
There's still one at the Illinois State Fair in Springfield! It's no Disney Park but we have a skyway.:thumbsup:

We still have one too at the Six Flags in NJ. We ride it everytime we go but it is a slow moving line.

figmagination
06-11-2011, 12:05 AM
There was one in Kings Island when I went there years ago before we found Disney. Never again. Always Disney!

LudwigVonDrake
06-12-2011, 06:28 PM
I only remember riding it once and have vague memories of it.

It was my understanding (which may be true or false) that it was people dropping things and spitting from the cars that caused it close.

Kathy Jetson
06-19-2011, 04:27 PM
They have one at Busch Gardens Williamsburg and I loved riding it.

faline
06-19-2011, 05:35 PM
We used to enjoy riding it as well and we were sorry when it closed but I can certainly understand that there were many reasons that went into the decision to not run this attraction any more. What always struck me, every time I rode, was how physically demanding the ride was on the cast members who operated it. /They often had to physically grab the carts and stablize them for folks to disembark and embark. They then needed to give the cart a push as it started on its way.

I remember the sad death of the cast member on this ride. A relative was vacationing there when it happened though, fortunately, did not witness the accident.

kemps@wdw
06-19-2011, 09:45 PM
I believe that because you could see the tops and some of the backs of the attractions the the Skyway went over, the decision was made to close it to preserve the "magic" and keep the guests completely immersed in it. At the very least, to prevent the temptation for throwing items or spitting out of it onto the guests below. (yes, I witnessed this very thing from some younger kids while their parents laughed about it):scratch:

RAIDER
06-22-2011, 03:41 AM
I have no idea why they closed the Skyway probably for all the reasons said above ,but i was lucky enough to ride it many many years ago . I so do miss it :( as it was a lovey way to view the park