PDA

View Full Version : Captain EO...?

figmagination
06-06-2011, 11:11 PM
We are about 2 weeks away from our next trip to WDW, and I see that Captain EO is up again. I like Michael Jackson somewhat, but is it worth seeing? Do you have to be a big fan to like it? I want to know if we should include it in our plans or not? Thanks!

Strmchsr
06-07-2011, 07:40 AM
I saw it in January and it was fun to see again. It was a nostalgia thing for me since the last time I saw it was about 10. It was kind of funny to see MIchael in all his glory at the top of his form doing all of those "stereotypical" sounds and moves that any impersonator constantly does now. If you have no attachment to Jackson or nostalgia for old school Epcot, it's probably not worth it, but for those two things it's a lot of fun.

Melanie
06-07-2011, 08:04 AM
I went in thinking the nostalgia thing would be worth it too, but came out wondering what the heck I was thinking. Sorry, but I should have left my 20 year old memories of bygone Future World intact.

If you've never seen it and are curious, I'd go for it if you have the time. It's cool in there, if anything. ;)

ransam
06-07-2011, 10:15 AM
you will get different answers to this. some love it, others didn't.

I had never seen it until last Jan. I wanted to see it, and glad i did, but won't see it again.

It is what it is... a video from an amazing artist, its' like watching a 15-20 minute video from the 80's. The song is an average MJ song at best. the special effects are 25 years old.
It's loud. My best friend is a disney fanatic. he went to see it, and thought the same thing i did. it was ok, glad he saw it, but isn't something that blew him away.

I'd go see it if for no other reason, you haven't seen it.

Stu29573
06-07-2011, 10:17 AM
For some reason I never saw it when it origianlly ran, so I was really looking forward to seeing it. After seeing it, however, I wanted "Honey I Shrunk..." back. I just don't think it aged well. Still, if you are a big MJ fan, or if you have some good memories to associate with it, it might be ok.

MNNHFLTX
06-07-2011, 11:26 AM
I enjoyed it, for nostalgic reasons. I can see how someone younger (cough-cough!) who's never seen it before might think the special effects are kind of hokey.

At least it was nice to have a change from Honey I Shrunk the Audience.

figmagination
06-07-2011, 12:53 PM
I am kind of curious about it. I think I'll want to see it once and that's it. I want to at least try it before it's gone for good. The original run was way before my time, so I never got to see it. Not sure if I'll like it. Lol. Thanks!

DisneyDINK
06-07-2011, 01:16 PM
If you're at Epcot and it is getting hot head over to the Imagination pavilion, where there are no lines for ANYTHING! Enjoy the time off your feet and the oh so cool A/C.

I'm constantly amazed how some people miss some of these old attractions, If You Had Wings for example. Yes, I have fond memories of it, but should they tear up Buzz Lightyear or the Laugh Floor to bring it back? Probably not.

Captain E/O: it was fun back then, but I don't think it withstood the test of time. You could skip it, but if you don't you won't wonder.

PlutoPlanet
06-08-2011, 12:24 PM
I liked it, but the special effects seem dated now. My DD14 didn't like Captain EO. Kids are used to better effects nowadays.

AllDisney
06-08-2011, 05:04 PM
The first time we saw it we loved it:thumbsup:

We went back this past December and saw it again, after all these years, was not impressed. Special effects are SO out of date. Didn't even think to see it on recent May trip.

Everyone has their own take on it and this is mine:blush:

Melanie
06-08-2011, 05:28 PM
My DD14 didn't like Captain EO. Kids are used to better effects nowadays.

My 13 year old DS and his 12 year old cousin got a pass to wander around Future World by themselves (with phone), while we were also in Future World. They apparently went to see Captain EO and reported that they got up and left in the middle. Well, not that I can blame them, BUT they also got the lecture of how it's not acceptable to do that, the light from them opening the outside doors is distracting to others, etc.

But again, I don't blame them. Definitely not what this generation is accustomed to.

LVT
06-13-2011, 09:33 PM
First time at age 55. I was glad to check it out, but will not return. Hokey, it reminds me of Dr. Who, but without a good plot.

Darbylew
06-13-2011, 09:43 PM
It was ok but I could pass on it next time. I
think everyone should try it at least once.
BEEN THERE, DONE THAT AND GOING BACK IN
DECEMBER!!!! :mickey::D

Not2Loud
06-14-2011, 10:05 AM
I went and saw it again a few weeks ago. Was it great? Not by today's standards.

Was it fun to step back in time? Yes it was.

I guess I had never realized how much the Borg from Star Trek TNG were a rip-off of this!